ADVERTISEMENT

2021 season

rickyb55

Lottery Pick
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2004
Since all these seniors will be eligible next year, basically every college football team is getting a redshirt year, what will the NCAA do with scholarship limits? Obviously I’m sure some seniors will graduate and move on with life, but a lot will want to stay and play next year, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Since all these seniors will be eligible next year

Did I miss the announcement? Thinking that the ncaa will do the right thing is a stretch. It *should* be an easy decision. Ncaa doesn't have a good track record, ya know?

They’re working on figuring the extra year of eligibility out. The scholarship limit is going to be a big issue if some conferences play this year while others don’t. The Big 12 released their new updated football schedule today and they’re full speed ahead with football next month.

They’re working on figuring the extra year of eligibility out. The scholarship limit is going to be a big issue if some conferences play this year while others don’t. The Big 12 released their new updated football schedule today and they’re full speed ahead with football next month.
It’s going to be a big issue for schools that don’t have a lot of money. I don’t know what the going rate of an annual UNLVFB schollie is - but let’s say 40K per year. You don’t graduate 20 players and have 20 coming in, that’s 800k extra to spend. Never mind in some non-football sports where freshman can actually be good enough to play and even play a lot. Well they ain’t bumping a senior who’d have been gone if not for Covid. I do think something like that can cause shuffling with basketball 2021 recruiting - not just here, everywhere.

Take Blake, for example. He’s coming in, expecting to play as a freshman, he’s good enough. But if the departing senior class was held back and they get another year, he’s going to lose his expected minutes. We know how kids view these things. They select schools based on PT, on roster composition. Not because they bleed school colors.

An extension of an extra year isn't going to work when you have schools like UNLV that do not have the finances to carry an extra 20-25 scholarships! Currently they may not even have the finances to keep the athletic department as it currently stands.

An extension of an extra year isn't going to work when you have schools like UNLV that do not have the finances to carry an extra 20-25 scholarships! Currently they may not even have the finances to keep the athletic department as it currently stands.
Don’t worry. Sissylacksballs will bail out UNR, with middle fingers to UNLV.

Did I miss the announcement? Thinking that the ncaa will do the right thing is a stretch. It *should* be an easy decision. Ncaa doesn't have a good track record, ya know?
They gave all the spring sport athletes an extra year, they’ll do the same for fall sports

Yeah basketball could be problematic for a school like UNLV with a talented roster and a good incoming class but I think we’ll have a season there even if it’s a shortened conference only slate starting in 2021. NCAA can’t afford to miss out on another billion dollars this March.

Football might not be as bad for UNLV. I hate to say it but I’m sure there’s some Sanchez guys buried on the depth chart that CMA could encourage to find a better situation.

I heard Day (Ohio State HC) talking about the Spring season yesterday. I originally thought Spring ball was some fantasy non-realistic idea but I’m starting to warm to the plan more. Start in January, have 8 games or so and have the season the end in April before the NFL draft. The other thing he was talking about was early enrollees. Get the HS/JC kids in early and they can play Spring 21’ and the Fall 21’ and only use 1 year of eligibility. UNLV probably doesn’t have the type of recruit that’s ready for CFB day one but still maybe 2 or 3 could see the field and be ready to contribute more in the Fall.

Yeah basketball could be problematic for a school like UNLV with a talented roster and a good incoming class but I think we’ll have a season there even if it’s a shortened conference only slate starting in 2021. NCAA can’t afford to miss out on another billion dollars this March.

Football might not be as bad for UNLV. I hate to say it but I’m sure there’s some Sanchez guys buried on the depth chart that CMA could encourage to find a better situation.

I heard Day (Ohio State HC) talking about the Spring season yesterday. I originally thought Spring ball was some fantasy non-realistic idea but I’m starting to warm to the plan more. Start in January, have 8 games or so and have the season the end in April before the NFL draft. The other thing he was talking about was early enrollees. Get the HS/JC kids in early and they can play Spring 21’ and the Fall 21’ and only use 1 year of eligibility. UNLV probably doesn’t have the type of recruit that’s ready for CFB day one but still maybe 2 or 3 could see the field and be ready to contribute more in the Fall.
Of 10 FBS football conferences, we were the second to cancel. I have very little hope for basketball. I believe it’s most likely it won’t start. But if it does, one sniffle and we’ll cancel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT