ADVERTISEMENT

2 Down!

Do we thank SDSU for giving the MLC a win in the NCAA? I just can’t but at least the bagel will be avoided this time around!

As I watch a lot of horrible ncaa hoop, I do not think we are so far away. Other teams in the NCAA can look as awful as us. They all have better rebounding and defense though. Coach K needs to watch this and learn from his defensive arrogance of this last year.

• Love
Reactions: RebelScrub
As I watch a lot of horrible ncaa hoop, I do not think we are so far away. Other teams in the NCAA can look as awful as us. They all have better rebounding and defense though. Coach K needs to watch this and learn from his defensive arrogance of this last year.
You can say we swept UNR, and they made it, so we aren’t that far away. But UNR isn’t good. I’ve said that all year long. Not because UNLV swept them, but they are soft as hell. I thought USU had a chance today, they shot like garbage (a strength for them) over the last two games against teams that actually defend. BSU was outmanned, they really crashed the offensive boards well today and kept it close.

When you say we aren’t far away, do you mean from an NCAA bid? A ranking?

Just a feeling, but I’m betting our NCAA bid will have to be an automatic next season, winning the MWCT. It’ll be three (hopefully not four) games in March again. Call me a pessimist, but it’s a good bet since that’s what it’s been for awhile and we’ve yet to see any actions (identity, stability, recruiting, strong home floor, etc) that makes you think we are going to break our mold. I’m betting it’ll be a lot of finger crossing next season, as well … while contending with coaching change rumors.

Of course, you CAN strike it rich in the portal, not always with high talent, but pieces that fit together well, not too much redundancy with player strengths (who needs two centers that can’t do anything?) … if that happens, you got something for the season …

You can say we swept UNR, and they made it, so we aren’t that far away. But UNR isn’t good. I’ve said that all year long. Not because UNLV swept them, but they are soft as hell. I thought USU had a chance today, they shot like garbage (a strength for them) over the last two games against teams that actually defend. BSU was outmanned, they really crashed the offensive boards well today and kept it close.

When you say we aren’t far away, do you mean from an NCAA bid? A ranking?

Just a feeling, but I’m betting our NCAA bid will have to be an automatic next season, winning the MWCT. It’ll be three (hopefully not four) games in March again. Call me a pessimist, but it’s a good bet since that’s what it’s been for awhile and we’ve yet to see any actions (identity, stability, recruiting, strong home floor, etc) that makes you think we are going to break our mold. I’m betting it’ll be a lot of finger crossing next season, as well … while contending with coaching change rumors.

Of course, you CAN strike it rich in the portal, not always with high talent, but pieces that fit together well, not too much redundancy with player strengths (who needs two centers that can’t do anything?) … if that happens, you got something for the season …
But point taken - there are some really poor teams/sloppy play in the field. The overall quality is way down, especially when you get away from the top 4 or 5 seeds.

I'd take this NKU coach... it'd probably drive the basketball purists crazy, but I'd love to see a team just keep chucking 3s but that play defense and rebounds the way these kids do...

But point taken - there are some really poor teams/sloppy play in the field. The overall quality is way down, especially when you get away from the top 4 or 5 seeds.
I am saying outside of our 2 big men that are quite bad, the rest of the positions show the rebels are not out talented compared to what you see from most ncaa tourney teams.

Now strategy of how you play is another question. I only coached fairly high end junior high traveling teams and I would not have been so stubborn to not change defenses when MWC teams relized they could easily pass vs our defense. And yes, I could do better than do high pick and rolls with roll men that cannot catch a ball.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Almost completely. They surprised me a lot this year … because those rankings really didn’t mirror team quality. At all. Maybe it was a bad year for whatever their formula is … but yeah, way off.
It's a lazy metric that allows the committee to hide behind a stat for selecting one at large over another. Then they don't really need to watch bubble teams and just throw NET and Quad wins out there when explaining selections vs eye test.

Reactions: j. spilotro
History tells me - dont pick MW teams to advance in your brackets.

The MW is one of the best leagues in the country fielding several top 60 teams - problem is: they have 5 or 6 teams top 60 but none of them are any better than top 30. in the top 30-60 range - great league- collectively .......Individually this league will never produce a perennial top 10 team ever again - not with the shift in power and balance overwhelming in favor of blue blood power conferences and $$ NIL - TV contracts.

Reactions: Trax0r
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT