ADVERTISEMENT

15 days

True.

Then the same day we have three MW teams playing. Montana State @ NM and I'm thinking Montana State wins. SMU @ reno. reno is going to get destroyed. Last is Delaware State @ Hawaii. Hawaii should win that one.
Agree with all of these. I think Montana State waxes UNM. And SMU and Hawaii dominate Reno and DelaSt, respectively

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Man, I’m telling you. As of yesterday, I’m still hearing coin flip ….
As long as the coin flip is due to there being a high level of competition for the position, and not the one that makes the least number of mistakes getting the job!

Last edited:
Man, it the feelings of anticipation and jubilations. I am optimistic but dang, it is almost time for football!

I’m more excited about this football season based on recent past results and potential than I have been about our realistic basketball chances over the past decade.

But even the hiring of Odom heading into last season had me more excited than any basketball pre-season for the past 10 or so years.

I watch old clips sometimes, even from when Marcus Banks was here and we were “angry” about the overall team …. And the excitement was head and shoulders above what it is right now.

I’m more excited about this football season based on recent past results and potential than I have been about our realistic basketball chances over the past decade.

But even the hiring of Odom heading into last season had me more excited than any basketball pre-season for the past 10 or so years.

I watch old clips sometimes, even from when Marcus Banks was here and we were “angry” about the overall team …. And the excitement was head and shoulders above what it is right now.
Hopefully UNLV marketing department do a better job after this season. Crickets after a 9-5 season. You have gotten to be kidding me UNLV!

First full weekend of CFB is best weekend of the year!!

Last night bellied up to the bar at the brewery in my building I told the bartender who is from Eugene that in 3 weeks I’d be in Eugene for the Oregon v Boise St game. She said it’s your favorite time of year, it’s like your Christmas, I said It’s better than Christmas.
I saw that Boise went with Madsen instead of Nelson as their QB1

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I saw that Boise went with Madsen instead of Nelson as their QB1
Entire offseason spent building up their "5 star QB" transfer only for him to not be able to beat out the QB who was having a mediocre season and wasnt great in games against the bigger teams on the schedule... Now I know Boise fans will say Madsen is a good QB and he showed it in camp, or others will say they expect Nelson to eventually take over, but you dont go get Nelson if you had "the guy" already in house and jettisoned your other dual threat QB in Green...

I just want to know who our QB 1 is so I can sleep better at night, lol...

Entire offseason spent building up their "5 star QB" transfer only for him to not be able to beat out the QB who was having a mediocre season and wasnt great in games against the bigger teams on the schedule... Now I know Boise fans will say Madsen is a good QB and he showed it in camp, or others will say they expect Nelson to eventually take over, but you dont go get Nelson if you had "the guy" already in house and jettisoned your other dual threat QB in Green...

I just want to know who our QB 1 is so I can sleep better at night, lol...
We will all hope and wish for Madsen …. And we will get it. And he will have a career game.

Seems to happen more than I’d like to admit. You get what you wish for and pay dearly.

Reactions: reagan21
I’m hearing it’s high competition driven, not the lesser of evils.
If this is truly the case, Gotta think Sluka will have the edge by the time week one prep is happening. Hes only had a chance to showcase/ run the offense during the fall. Whereas Williams had the spring to prepare

I think it’ll be announced during the last week of practices … announcing it instead of a surprise might have a more settling effect.

I’m sure coaches and players have their own ideas with who is leading …. But I honestly don’t think they really know yet.

I’m interested in leash since they are supposedly so close. We don’t know that about Odom/Marion. Maiava was forced in, how long would they have ridden Doug if he wasn’t hurt? We just don’t know the mindset/philosophy of that type situation. Based on the way he’s managed games and the program, I think it’s reasonable to think that he will pick his guy and stick with him until it’s clear the current guy can’t cut it. I don’t think he will platoon it and assess things series by series. I don’t think he will say - game one, down 14-3 at the half with two interceptions, let’s make the switch.

But I could be wrong. That’s one of the things I’m interested in seeing.

Ofc, we all want whoever is picked to hit the ground running, put up big numbers, lead UNLV to victory, no injuries, no controversy …

I think it’ll be announced during the last week of practices … announcing it instead of a surprise might have a more settling effect.

I’m sure coaches and players have their own ideas with who is leading …. But I honestly don’t think they really know yet.

I’m interested in leash since they are supposedly so close. We don’t know that about Odom/Marion. Maiava was forced in, how long would they have ridden Doug if he wasn’t hurt? We just don’t know the mindset/philosophy of that type situation. Based on the way he’s managed games and the program, I think it’s reasonable to think that he will pick his guy and stick with him until it’s clear the current guy can’t cut it. I don’t think he will platoon it and assess things series by series. I don’t think he will say - game one, down 14-3 at the half with two interceptions, let’s make the switch.

Ofc, we all want whoever is picked to hit the ground running, put up big numbers, lead UNLV to victory, no injuries, no controversy …
Yeah, I mean in that first scenario is the case, does the second guy get the start vs Utah Tech, and does that mean hes also assured the start vs KU? Theres not a lot of time to access a change at that point because based on tape weve seen, Utah Tech is about the competition that both faced in their first couple seasons. But Kansas- a top 25 team in Kansas City? and then what if the 2nd struggles there, yeah, maybe were 1-2 heading into Syracuse and then a big Conference opener against Fresno, but are you switching back or are you riding out the change... Its a slippery slope

Reactions: j. spilotro
Yeah, I mean in that first scenario is the case, does the second guy get the start vs Utah Tech, and does that mean hes also assured the start vs KU? Theres not a lot of time to access a change at that point because based on tape weve seen, Utah Tech is about the competition that both faced in their first couple seasons. But Kansas- a top 25 team in Kansas City? and then what if the 2nd struggles there, yeah, maybe were 1-2 heading into Syracuse and then a big Conference opener against Fresno, but are you switching back or are you riding out the change... Its a slippery slope
The Utah tech game does add a wrinkle. Utah tech sandwiched around two tough games.

My thinking - QB A in game 1, QB A starts game two with a couple series sprinkled in for QB B, finish out the game for QB B …. back to starter A In game three. Assuming you are well in control in game two, of course and fare well enough in game one, win or loss.

I do think QB B needs some reps and has to have the mindset that they are going to see action every single week. Both QBs run, perhaps more opportunity for injury, have to be ready to check in at the drop of a hat.

I hope not, QB’s who play having to worry they will be yanked because of one bad half never play well. I think Odom is too good of a coach for that though I think he platoons or gives them at least some leash meaning a few games unless it is a disaster.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
I hope not, QB’s who play having to worry they will be yanked because of one bad half never play well. I think Odom is too good of a coach for that though I think he platoons or gives them at least some leash meaning a few games unless it is a disaster.
That is what UNLV have right now. No decision yet. Yes I agree a QB1 need to be selected before the season start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT