ADVERTISEMENT

109/131

I like to think 500 this year, it's time to take the next level, with BSU no longer the top dog, it's open race, there is no reason UNLV in 2-3 years being the best in MWC, best facilities in the conference matters, can the coaching staff get them over the hump?

We won 2 games this year, yes I know there were 6 games we were within one score of. Really what makes people think we will be .500? I would love to be .500 but I think we are more likely to be more like 4-8 than 6-6.

If we go 4-8 Arroyo needs to have his coaching seat warmed and the “fire Arroyo“ will only get louder..

Unlv wins 3 games every year (on average over a long period of time), I cant see any reason why they wont do the same next season? 109 seems to be right in line where they should end up.

I had a feeling they would win 6 or more games next season, but it is hard to say now that they have lost both the OC and DC!

Expecting 6 wins is asking a lot IMO. Not to say they can't do it, but that is a pretty big jump.

Especially losing Hansen. Arroyo is an offensive minded guy, and I would expect that he has his fingerprints all over the offense for better or worse.

Hansen seems to get the most out of our players, more than any D coordinator in years. This past season may have had the least amount of defensive "star power" and they were extremely effective given the inconistency in the offense.

As for Arroyo's seat getting hot. To me it will be 3 wins or less. UNLV can't afford his buyout. Also especially since his recruiting rankings have been good. It helps him at least sell the future.

Hiring our AD from within helps secure our current coaches. A new hotshot outsider would want to make his.her mark with a hire. I don't think that is as a much of a factor in this situation.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Expecting 6 wins is asking a lot IMO. Not to say they can't do it, but that is a pretty big jump.

Especially losing Hansen. Arroyo is an offensive minded guy, and I would expect that he has his fingerprints all over the offense for better or worse.

Hansen seems to get the most out of our players, more than any D coordinator in years. This past season may have had the least amount of defensive "star power" and they were extremely effective given the inconistency in the offense.

As for Arroyo's seat getting hot. To me it will be 3 wins or less. UNLV can't afford his buyout. Also especially since his recruiting rankings have been good. It helps him at least sell the future.

Hiring our AD from within helps secure our current coaches. A new hotshot outsider would want to make his.her mark with a hire. I don't think that is as a much of a factor in this situation.
I’d love to see six. I don’t know if it’s doable.

But nearly as important, having a legitimate chance at 6 could be a big deal … meaning 4 wins with 3 games left or something like that.

A big part of it, to me, is keeping fans engaged with possibilities. Not pipedream long shots. Just legitimate opportunities can fuel interest.

Let’s face it - with FB, those possibilities are gone before Halloween. With hoops, gone before Christmas. Can’t have that continually happen and expect to gain interest.

Reactions: dcut03

He survives with 4 wins if...

Win over Reno
No blowout conference losses.

But if he only wins 4 and Reno isn't in there, or there are multiple blowout conference losses, I think he's gone...

I think he's safe with 5, but even here I think a Reno win might be necessary.

UNLV won't pay the buy out. No matter what his record is next season he will be here for year number 4. Even at that I doubt it will be bowl or bust in year 4 but he will have to show good improvement. For year 5 we will probably be looking for a coach no matter what. Either he doesn't turn the corner so he is dismissed or he does and he gets hired out from under us.

4 wins ,6 wins, or MORE?? Just as long as we are in the games we lose i think 3-4 wins will be enough. We could of had 3-4 wins in our QB was not injured! Unless we completely unravel then you give him this year and next. IF some big booster comes up with $$$ then you retain him. I think Arroyo is doing about as good as you can expect under the circumstances ! First time head coach. Look at his staff we are constantly getting poached. So that is a good sign with a team that won so few games.

We won 2 games this year, yes I know there were 6 games we were within one score of. Really what makes people think we will be .500? I would love to be .500 but I think we are more likely to be more like 4-8 than 6-6.
The reason I think they can win 6 games its the MWC, they just need the confidence they can win and belong. If USU can go 12-2 or whatever they were last year, no reason not to be 500 this year, tired of the excuses, it's time.

The reason I think they can win 6 games its the MWC, they just need the confidence they can win and belong. If USU can go 12-2 or whatever they were last year, no reason not to be 500 this year, tired of the excuses, it's time.

CSU had a coaching change.
Reno is in disarray. (Losing coach, mass tranfers/portal/graduation)
Hawaii same thing.

A number of other MWC schools got hit harder than UNLV with the portal.

Schedule lines up pretty well with majority of 'tougher' games at home and 'easier' games on the road.

Things are set up for some improvements.

But I think losing Hansen could hurt bad. We'll see.

I think they'll flip two maybe three of the 6 close losses they had last year and be more competitive.

But I've thought this is the year for 25 years now, so until they actually do it, hard to predict more than 4-8 or 5-7...

I'm thinking 5-7 but outside of Notre Dame they will be in every game..

It will be enough to Arroyo his fourth year..

We can’t continue changing coaches every 4 years and expect to turn this ship around. None of the coaches UNLV can afford are capable of doing so in such a brief time. Patience is what’s needed, I don’t care who the coaches name may be. Same goes for MBB.

the difference between 5 wins or 6 wins is how good are Cal, North Texas, SJSU, Fresno and UNR.. I think UNLV should handle UNM and UH! They get 3 or 4 of the 5 I mentioned and we are there!

We can’t continue changing coaches every 4 years and expect to turn this ship around. None of the coaches UNLV can afford are capable of doing so in such a brief time. Patience is what’s needed, I don’t care who the coaches name may be. Same goes for MBB.

I believe in a longer leash in football. It takes 4 years to flip a roster.

Basketball, one guy can make a huge difference.

(Same could be said in football with an elite QB, but if your defense is putrid you still end up losing)...

Football it can take 4 years to see substantive change. Basketball, if things aren't improving by year three the writing seems on the wall a lot of times..

I believe in a longer leash in football. It takes 4 years to flip a roster.

Basketball, one guy can make a huge difference.

(Same could be said in football with an elite QB, but if your defense is putrid you still end up losing)...

Football it can take 4 years to see substantive change. Basketball, if things aren't improving by year three the writing seems on the wall a lot of times..
If there’s ever a “good time” for patience with football, it’s probably now, imo. Or at least the most appropriate time.

I know that especially with football, a new coach every three years isn’t going to work. With basketball it can because of the nature of recruiting and you can easily flip a roster.

I hope he gets a couple more years myself.

Calipari? Pitino? K maybe?

I hope they go 6-6. It would be great to have two wins heading into conference. Wins over Idaho st and North Texas. I think the transfers will really help. I agree with BC that they’re ranking will be higher at the end of the year. This will be Arroyo’s most talented team so far.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I agree, unless they are going to get the guts to hire Briles, Gruden etc good coaches with mud on their names looking for a rehab project (which UNLV will never do) then we need to hire guys like Arroyo and hope they develop and learn on the job.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
If there’s ever a “good time” for patience with football, it’s probably now, imo. Or at least the most appropriate time.

I know that especially with football, a new coach every three years isn’t going to work. With basketball it can because of the nature of recruiting and you can easily flip a roster.

I hope he gets a couple more years myself.

At some point if the recruiting classes are = to their actual grades it would (at least should) start to translate onto the field.

Where we will know if he is in over his head or not is year 4...If he's pulled top three recruiting classes in conference every year and still middling around the 4 win mark, its probably time to move on..

Still a little lacking on the recruiting class for 22! Need to bring in another 8-12 impact transfers or recruits to complete the class.
Completely agree.

Great quote from Joe Stalin. " Quantity has a quality all it's own."

We need a healthy percentage of each class to be solid. But we also need a full class. A coach needs to redshirt a good number of linemen to bulk them up. He needs to have enough players to have depth. He needs a full selection of players to catch a surprise player now and then. Without a full class he gets none of this.

Completely agree.

Great quote from Joe Stalin. " Quantity has a quality all it's own."

We need a healthy percentage of each class to be solid. But we also need a full class. A coach needs to redshirt a good number of linemen to bulk them up. He needs to have enough players to have depth. He needs a full selection of players to catch a surprise player now and then. Without a full class he gets none of this.

True, but I don't think he's done yet.

Outside of Jacoby, we didn't lose anybody that was contributing.

Was listening on the radio the other day about football recruiting. They were talking about how there will now be three stages instead of two.

Early signing.
*Signing day*
And late signings.

Guys felt the late signings will be more prevelant vs years past because guys will enter the portal later.

My guess is he'll have pretty close to the full allotment sometime in the summer after Spring ball.

Personally would rather see as many guys as possible in the Spring with a new OC and DC....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT