ADVERTISEMENT

Yea we are good enough for .......

Rebel_Luv

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
and a NBA team here in less than 5 ,but yet these Power 5 conferences have not included us yet??? Make it make sense. If you want to draw interest in your team and conference then UNLV should be at the TOP of everyones list and i mean EVERYBODY! The excitement VEGAS brings to any sporting event is amplified multiple times vs anywhere else in the country and its not even close. The shortsightedness is astonishing. The road trips for fans of opposing teams would be at the bare mininum 100x plus at the minimum for any game they play here. I dont want to here rhetoric about us not winning . Plenty of bottom dwellers in Power 5 conferences that have nothing to offer and have done nothing. Academics ?? We are improving rapidly and what % of kids on scholarships make a living off the degrees IF they get one ? Almost none. They have ZERO interest in those kids its a farce. We qualify. Other than the winning part and with inclusion that would of should solve that easily.

and a NBA team here in less than 5 ,but yet these Power 5 conferences have not included us yet??? Make it make sense. If you want to draw interest in your team and conference then UNLV should be at the TOP of everyones list and i mean EVERYBODY! The excitement VEGAS brings to any sporting event is amplified multiple times vs anywhere else in the country and its not even close. The shortsightedness is astonishing. The road trips for fans of opposing teams would be at the bare mininum 100x plus at the minimum for any game they play here. I dont want to here rhetoric about us not winning . Plenty of bottom dwellers in Power 5 conferences that have nothing to offer and have done nothing. Academics ?? We are improving rapidly and what % of kids on scholarships make a living off the degrees IF they get one ? Almost none. They have ZERO interest in those kids its a farce. We qualify. Other than the winning part and with inclusion that would have should solve that easily.
It would be nice if UNLV did a little of their own lifting athletically, wouldn’t it? Instead of always relying on somebody else to do the dirty work.

It’s pathetic if you ask me. We’ve had ample time to progress athletically. And a better starting point than most. Yet we’ve failed and it’s everybody’s fault - but UNLV’s.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It would be nice if UNLV did a little of their own lifting athletically, wouldn’t it? Instead of always relying on somebody else to do the dirty work.

It’s pathetic if you ask me. We’ve had ample time to progress athletically. And a better starting point than most. Yet we’ve failed and it’s everybody’s fault - but UNLV’s.
I am all for accountability ,but the powers that be have to realize that this is a WIN WIN for both sides. Yes we have dropped the ball a ton. I thought this incompetence would stop because they people in charge in 80s and 90s should be getting way past retirement. Is it nepotism and they passed the dumbass gene to their offspring??

I am all for accountability ,but the powers that be have to realize that this is a WIN WIN for both sides. Yes we have dropped the ball a ton. I thought this incompetence would stop because they people in charge in 80s and 90s should be getting way past retirement. Is it nepotism and they passed the dumbass gene to their offspring??
Holy crap. Have you seen society as a whole lately?

2 things,

The market still isn't huge, and it is unusual for a market of our size to have multiple pro franchises especially soon to be 3 major franchises.

Second is market share. UNLV has a poor market share and mediocre support. I do think he have decent support that watch the games, versus attendance.

These conferences don't need UNLV for our market. The PAC probably already feels like they have it, just from the transplants from the west coast already.

Now if there is a feeding frenzy for markets we could be picked up. But it by no means is a "no brainer".

It would be an easier sell if we had fans at the games, but we now have 30 years post Tark, with some decent Bball support 10 years ago, 3 winning football seasons with balls support.

Our best hope is that the expansion talk gets push out another year. Alsot Odom is the real deal, he wins some games against a relatively easy schedule and people start showing/watching.

And to a much lesser extent, CKK really figures it out this year, gets a group of guys that make some noise.

I’m not sure how people don’t know the difference between professional and college sports towns.

NYC one of the best cities in the world and great pro city is a horrible college sports town, but total shit hole towns like Athens and Tuscaloosa are amazing college towns.
I don't think there are more than 5 large cities that are known for college sports. LA - Yes, Chicago - Some, Miami - and maybe a few more. But there is usually too much going on in a big city to concentrate the population on a team. In a small city or town, however, everybody can get on board because there is nothing else.

I don't think there are more than 5 large cities that are known for college sports. LA - Yes, Chicago - Some, Miami - and maybe a few more. But there is usually too much going on in a big city to concentrate the population on a team. In a small city or town, however, everybody can get on board because there is nothing else.

Agree. Id agrue that Chicago isnt a good college town (for one school) its a melting pot for graduates from all over especially Big 10 schools, either is Miami, LA only if SC football is winning. Off the top of my head the best college sports town in a large city is Seattle. You could say Austin which is a large city by population but aside for its large population isnt a "large city" and its definitely a college town.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Most large state schools are outside city limits in small, college towns. They aren't in large markets but usually capture larger markets or even entire states or beyond. That's why you cannot just look at local market of those towns.
That being said most of those large state schools that command eyeballs are already inP5 conferences. So then its about potential and the rest of markets when talking about expansion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT