ADVERTISEMENT

Would you take him?

mee2323

UNLV Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2007
Mar Vista, CA
Steve Alford gets canned and wants to come to UNLV. With him, we also get his son Bryce as a graduate transfer. Would you take this package?

I bet we win the conference and make a sweet 16 in the next three couple of years with him. I think he's way over his head at UCLA. I don't think they'll fire him but if he can't win with TJ Leaf and Alonzo Ball, he out.
I hate that cock sucker with every fiber of my being. But, he would win here.

We hate him because he has a spine and actually complains about the tournament being in LV. Yes! I would take him.

I agree, but when I say the same thing about Pitino, I'm a hypocrite. Amusing.

No. I'm just flat out saying I don't personally like Alford. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I just don't like him. You avoid (and even deny) saying that you just hate Pitino. Its your "cause he is a cheater" defence that makes you a hypocrite! If you just don't like him, that's fine!

No. I'm just flat out saying I don't personally like Alford. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I just don't like him. You avoid (and even deny) saying that you just hate Pitino. Its your "cause he is a cheater" defence that makes you a hypocrite! If you just don't like him, that's fine!
No I came right out and said I don't like him and said why. I don't "hate" anyone I don't know. You need to reread the response that said exactly that. Again doesn't make me a hypocrite because I don't like him because he will bring NCAA trouble with him. He caused the trouble because he is a cheater. Apparently you don't understand the difference.

No I came right out and said I don't like him and said why. I don't "hate" anyone I don't know. You need to reread the response that said exactly that. Again doesn't make me a hypocrite because I don't like him because he will bring NCAA trouble with him. He caused the trouble because he is a cheater. Apparently you don't understand the difference.

If you just flat out said you don't like him, then that's fine! That's your opinion. But, you try to rationalize the reason for not liking him by saying things like "he is a cheater" and "he will bring NCAA trouble with him". I'm just pointing out the fact the exact same thing was said about Tarkanian under very similar circumstances. Yet you adore one man and hate (oops... I mean really, really, dislike) the other--which is absolutely hypocritical!

You're not a hypocrite for just not liking him. You're a hypocrite for bashing one person and praising the other when their situations are/were very similar.

Reactions: ThailandReb

That take is probably more appropriate for Calipari who has had banners and wins stripped at two of his previous stops.

I would have to look it up again, (correct me if I am wrong) but as far as I know Pitino has not forfeited any wins or had banners removed from the rafters.

That could change with this current investigation. If Pitino knew what was happening, and he secured recruits 'illegally' then he may end up forfeiting wins during that time frame. In which case you could say he is a 'cheater'. That would make him a no in my book as well. Until then its speculative.

It is also speculation to say he would in fact bring NCAA heat here. It is impossible to make that assertion with 100% certainty.

If you just flat out said you don't like him, then that's fine! That's your opinion. But, you try to rationalize the reason for not liking him by saying things like "he is a cheater" and "he will bring NCAA trouble with him". I'm just pointing out the fact the exact same thing was said about Tarkanian under very similar circumstances. Yet you adore one man and hate (oops... I mean really, really, dislike) the other--which is absolutely hypocritical!

You're not a hypocrite for just not liking him. You're a hypocrite for bashing one person and praising the other when their situations are/were very similar.

The very line you responded to said "if you want me to say I like Tark and dislike Pitnio, fine, that doesn't make me a hypocrite" . I don't have to rationalize MY opinion nor do I have to defend it to a hypocrite like you. Peace out.

That take is probably more appropriate for Calipari who has had banners and wins stripped at two of his previous stops.

I would have to look it up again, (correct me if I am wrong) but as far as I know Pitino has not forfeited any wins or had banners removed from the rafters.

That could change with this current investigation. If Pitino knew what was happening, and he secured recruits 'illegally' then he may end up forfeiting wins during that time frame. In which case you could say he is a 'cheater'. That would make him a no in my book as well. Until then its speculative.

It is also speculation to say he would in fact bring NCAA heat here. It is impossible to make that assertion with 100% certainty.

it is all speculation, even the chance that Pitino is interested in the job. When Tark was hired after leaving Long Beach State the NCAA said their would be no further action taken against Tark or any actions taken against UNLV for hiring him, but then they came after him and UNLV. I am afraid the same thing might happen with Pitino. Why chance it when there are other successful coaches not in the NCAA cross hairs?

I once saw Alford rip the Brazilian Kid from BYU and get into a yelling match with the young man. Both have hot tempers and I was disappointed that Alford stooped so low. I also do not like Alford, but he is a winner and his tweaker son has amazing basketball IQ. My 2 cents are worth about that much as who is our head coach towards the $4mm price tag that is floating around. I like Pitino, I like Archie, I like Archie more than Pitino, but would be happy with either. Alford I think is just being thrown in for conversation and I have to be careful of going down rabbit holes.

I would support Alford and we would for sure be winners, but our kids would all walk onto the court with an attitude. And that my friends might not be all that bad.

I am not sure where all of this information comes up regarding Rick Pitino regarding problems with the NCAA

The following are places he coached

asst. at Hawaii - According to the report, Pitino was implicated in 8 of the 64 infractions that led the University to be placed on probation in the early to mid 70's think they had

asst Syracuse - nothing reported

HC at Boston University - nothing reported.

HC Providence - nothing reported

HC Kentucky - took over program that was in trouble with the NCAA and I don't believe he had any problems

HC Louisville - as far as I know until recently had no NCAA problems. Currently all of the investigation is looking at an asst coach and not Pitino.

So in 42 years of coaching he only had NCAA problems that included him being investigated once back in the 70's.

So please let me know, has he had other problems, or is this just jealousy?

Why chance it when there are other successful coaches not in the NCAA cross hairs?

I'm curious. Who are these other "successful" coaches you speak of? Archie Miller I'm sure would be one of them. But, besides him, who else could be considered a successful coach and not an "up-and-coming assistant"?

I'm all for Archie Miller if not Pitino. But, I feel he's pretty secure at Dayton. In his eyes, the UNLV job would be nothing more than a lateral move. Unless, of course, we bump his salary enough that he becomes interested. But, would the boosters be united on Miller? I'm on the fence with that one.

it is all speculation, even the chance that Pitino is interested in the job. When Tark was hired after leaving Long Beach State the NCAA said their would be no further action taken against Tark or any actions taken against UNLV for hiring him, but then they came after him and UNLV. I am afraid the same thing might happen with Pitino. Why chance it when there are other successful coaches not in the NCAA cross hairs?

The issue I think people have with your posts on this topic is that you are speaking in absolutes when there are none.

You say Pitino us a cheater..There hasn't been anything found yet to say he has.

You say Pitino will bring NCAA attention, when right now there is no way to say that with certainty.

Personally I think there is some risk with hiring Pitino. Not enough yet to say hiring him would be a mistake.

There are plenty of good coaches out there, very few with Pitino's resume.

I do not think Pitino will be our coach, I do however think UNLV will have a very good coach when this process is over.

I'm curious. Who are these other "successful" coaches you speak of? Archie Miller I'm sure would be one of them. But, besides him, who else could be considered a successful coach and not an "up-and-coming assistant"?

I'm all for Archie Miller if not Pitino. But, I feel he's pretty secure at Dayton. In his eyes, the UNLV job would be nothing more than a lateral move. Unless, of course, we bump his salary enough that he becomes interested. But, would the boosters be united on Miller? I'm on the fence with that one.

There are other established coaches that may be looking for a change that have solid resumes. If nothing comes of the Pitino talk, we will be ok.

Reactions: R3B3LS
The issue I think people have with your posts on this topic is that you are speaking in absolutes when there are none.

You say Pitino us a cheater..There hasn't been anything found yet to say he has.

You say Pitino will bring NCAA attention, when right now there is no way to say that with certainty.

Personally I think there is some risk with hiring Pitino. Not enough yet to say hiring him would be a mistake.

I do not think Pitino will be our coach, I do however think UNLV will have a very good coach when this process is over.

The one thing we do know is the Pitino is one hell of a coach. I don't think anybody can deny that fact.

IMO, the pros outweight any cons in the hiring of Pitino. Sure, he comes with a risk (maybe a big risk, as some of your think), but his potential is ridiculous. There is no other coach available that could make a bigger impact at UNLV right now than Pitino. Take the safe route and hire an up-and-coming assistant, and it may take a few seasons before we see any improvement. Pitino could make UNLV an instant hit. I'm willing to take our chances.

I understand Bullmastif, nothing is absolute but I don't know that he is worth the risk. I agree that I believe President Jessup will find a high profile coach to help UNLV reach his goal of making UNLV a Tier 1 school.

I understand Bullmastif, nothing is absolute but I don't know that he is worth the risk. I agree that I believe President Jessup will find a high profile coach to help UNLV reach his goal of making UNLV a Tier 1 school.

I think that is part of the reason for some of the backlash. Not so much what, but how you presented some things.

The one thing we do know is the Pitino is one hell of a coach. I don't think anybody can deny that fact.

IMO, the pros outweight any cons in the hiring of Pitino. Sure, he comes with a risk (maybe a big risk, as some of your think), but his potential is ridiculous. There is no other coach available that could make a bigger impact at UNLV right now than Pitino. Take the safe route and hire an up-and-coming assistant, and it may take a few seasons before we see any improvement. Pitino could make UNLV an instant hit. I'm willing to take our chances.

There are maybe 2 or 3 coaches with Rick's cache. Nobody is going to generate the type of excitement that hiring Rick would.

That doesn't mean that anybody not named Rick Pitino can't succeed or get this thing headed in the right direction.

Who's to say we are even going with some 'up and coming' coach?

Maybe there is a veteran coach with a very good resume being courted...

I think UNLV is going to be ok...

Alford is a huge douche. Plain and simple... His a douche to his players, he's a douche to the fans and he's a douche to the basketball community. There's very few things more unbecoming than someone who thinks their sh!t doesn't stink and that they are better than you. That right there describes Steve "The Douche" Alford to a T.

I don't know anything about his kid other than he can shoot the rock. But his dad's a douche.

Almost all of these big names we are mentioning have massive egos and have douche properties that they carry with them. Alford has a passion for winning as does Pitino. I would regrettably accept him just because he has proven that he changed players and coach teams into this conference.

I have now heard the name James Dixon the coach from Pitt who might have inquired. Interesting.

I will never root against UNLV but I couldn't root for Alford. If UCLA lets him go I'm sure he'll call to see about our opening (as if he hasn't already) but I hope TKM is busy talking to Pitino or Miller.

The only negative, for me, is that he's a known commodity in the west (negative for me since it makes him more attractive for us to hire). The other names are all east coast and less likely to be appealing.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Almost all of these big names we are mentioning have massive egos and have douche properties that they carry with them. Alford has a passion for winning as does Pitino. I would regrettably accept him just because he has proven that he changed players and coach teams into this conference.
i'm going to guess anyone who would be okay with this hole being the coach hasn't been a fan for very long. i'm not saying any player who was on a team that beat the Rebels in a big game should be hated, not at all. a little disliked, sure. this anal fissure is beyond that. he's scum.

i'd rather have Bobby Hurley coaching the Rebels a million times before Alford. if that ever happened, i'd be done without hesitation.

i'm pretty sure Robert Smith would walk away too. http://runrebs.com/2012/02/15/the-steve-alford-experiencea-fathers-story/

i don't know the whole story, but i've heard the Zimms wouldn't pee on him if he were on fire.

I have been a fan since I moved here in 1985 when I started my college experience and getting lucky enough to witness the rise of the championship team! So your wrong. I didn't say I would be in favor just that I would begrudgingly accept it because of his ability to win in the MWC. Yes I would much rather see another name but what the hell is going to happen is anyone's guess at this point. Personally I am getting more worried every day that the administration is going to royally screw this up. I haven't met Jessup yet and haven't had conversations with any of the boosters who have but I get a weird feeling about him.

I heard a new name being brought up on Steve Cofield's show. Pitts coach Jamie Dixon. I'm not that familiar with him, any thoughts?
Decent coach but terrrible fit for UNLV.

I've watched a Pitino practice, he's our guy! We'll win another national championship with him at the helm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT