ADVERTISEMENT

Win or Lose

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
UNLV's Out of Conference Schedule should include the following every year

Gonzaga (we want to play the best in the West)
USC or UCLA (Natural geographical rivalry and interest)
At least 1 other Pac 12 School (Arizona & Utah come to mind)
BYU (because it's a great rivalry and puts lots of butts in the seats)
One big TV Saturday game on the East Coast (UNC, Duke, Tennessee, Virginia, UConn or possibly Kansas)
Plus whatever rinky dink interconference game the MWC puts together for us.

That's how you get the RECRUITS you want and generate EXCITEMENT for the FANS!!!

CAPS AND EXCLAMATION MARKS FOR BULL!!!!!

UNLV's Out of Conference Schedule should include the following every year

Gonzaga (we want to play the best in the West)
USC or UCLA (Natural geographical rivalry and interest)
At least 1 other Pac 12 School (Arizona & Utah come to mind)
BYU (because it's a great rivalry and puts lots of butts in the seats)
One big TV Saturday game on the East Coast (UNC, Duke, Tennessee, Virginia, UConn or possibly Kansas)
Plus whatever rinky dink interconference game the MWC puts together for us.

That's how you get the RECRUITS you want and generate EXCITEMENT for the FANS!!!

CAPS AND EXCLAMATION MARKS FOR BULL!!!!!
Then you are essentially asking for a new coach, because that’s not something the current dude does.

Do you agree our schedule should look like that?
I think if a new coach came in and scheduled like that it would be incredible. Vegas is a big basketball city and UNLV has a rich history. We should be one of the top 3-4 teams in the west. Get the right coach that can recruit, schedule, and knows x's and o's, and we will be.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Do you agree our schedule should look like that?
I think a schedule has to be pliable and based upon what your roster (including incoming recruits) looks like and taking into account what your conference is expected to look like. Mixing those things together, your OOC should be aimed at getting a top 100 schedule. Because those are the teams that get at large bids. You really want top 70 SOS to have enough wiggle room to allow for some losses and still get an at large.

I do think there’s a science involved, but I think in most years (including this year and last season, but not first season), the goal of an at large was needed. If that’s not the goal, your goal really is a non conference and conference exhibition season gearing towards three or four days of the MWCT.

If you aren’t playing for the big dance, you don’t need to be here, imo.

Give or take a little, I agree with what you proposed but there’s a lot to go into it.

But it’s absolutely crystal clear that the goal of this season and last season wasn’t to get to the NCAAT, it was geared towards getting that pretty, shiny but utterly meaningless “20”, unless you consider material that can be spun by the university and media to be actually meaningful. I don’t. I’m not a blind sheep. It’s an easy to read score for anybody that can think a little bit.

Reactions: mrodius
I want to get back to the Tark mentality. We don’t rebuild we just reload. Every year the schedule should be glamorous. Why not? If you play a good team and lose, we were supposed to and our Rpi is strengthened. If we we, icing on the cake. Plus more attendance equals more money for tha athletics department. Why on earth EVER schedule Prairie View A& M. It does no good ever. Pistol is right: play UCLA home and home every year. Same with Gonzaga. Arizona etc. It creates a bigger buzz, more fans, more money. Wake up Maryland Parkway. ( plus I pay good money for my tickets every year only to find out we play nobody exciting. After a while many people say bye bye).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT