ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't this team care?

It's the coach. Get a clue!
+1, It's not that they don't care, they are just a reflection of their incompetent soon to ex-head coach! Unless he has some sort of epiphany and performs a miracle the rest of the year which given his less than stellar track record is highly unlikely.

Reactions: natchampin2
Long, embarrassing, and frustrating season more than 10 losses and less than 20 wins coming up!!!!!
RICE has got to be the worst college coach (all levels) in the nation. I cannot stand even seeing his mug on TV, that deer in the headlights look. It would be nice if they let him go and let an assistant take over, Max, Stacey or Miller. Maybe they could salvage the season. Won't happen they will let him destroy the season then FIRE this sorry excuse of a coach. We got destroyed in points off turnovers. What a train wreck, no energy or urgency. TWO more home losses already. Rice should wake up in the morning go to the AD's office and turn in his letter of resignation, effective immediately.

Reactions: whyrebelswhy
i am not going to blame the kids. They all have shown a level of success to get to UNLV.

This is on the head coach. I watched players being substituted numerous times looking completely confused holding up their arms asking who they were coming in for. That shows me that Rice didn't seem to know what he wanted to do.

Every Fresno player had 4 fouls for the last 3 plus minutes. Asked that question after the game by Sandler and Rice didn't even try to answer the question. He actually started to talk about something else. Why? Cause he knows he completely blew it!!

No this isn't on the players completely this falls directly on the shoulders of their head coach.

How else can you explain this pattern of play for the last 4 years? So it's always the players fault because Rice isn't recruiting intelligent players or is this because Rice is lost in instructing his players and making decisions as a head coach when finishing a game?

I blame the coach.

You're right because these are just kids who shouldn't be held accountable for poor passing, poor shot selection, not blocking out and no intensity. Oh wait, they are grown men who should be held accountable. The crowd couldn't get them into it, how is Rice supposed to.

They can't all be like Ben Carter or Greg Anthony or Curtis Terry. Those players are/were self-motivated and natural leaders but it still takes a strong head coach to pull the team together around those few leaders. When Rice continually metes out uneven punishment by sitting some players for a single mistake yet seemingly giving a green light to others to do as they please(Reinhardt, Seagears, Nwamu) it's breeds discontent and team chemistry falls completely apart. Any game plan he and his staff drew up goes right out the window. Rice has to own up to that. I really have to wonder if this issue has anything to do with McCaw's performance as of late.

I feel like Rebel Chi-Girl is related to Rice. There is no other explanation for being such a Rice sympathizer. This team has no attitude or fire, because it starts tat the top and our Head Coach is too worried about congratulating the other team and their head coach for a job well done instead of lighting a fire under our player's asses. That's why.

You're right because these are just kids who shouldn't be held accountable for poor passing, poor shot selection, not blocking out and no intensity. Oh wait, they are grown men who should be held accountable. The crowd couldn't get them into it, how is Rice supposed to.
That just proved the point. Rice can't, other coaches do through accountability or reduction of minutes. Coaches have to get into the players sometime, you see it all the time, Rice does not get into the players for poor performance. Just watch some of the top coaches as they pull a player for doing something stupid or not following the game plan. In both college football and basketball, even Krueger jumps his team as they come off the court after doing something stupid as well when they do something great he pats them on the back. It is called Passion and leadership!!! Rice hasn't shown that.
I like Rice, I have been pulling for him and did not want to see them fire him last year. But now the gig is up, he has by far one of the top 5 teams in the west talent wise, and the most talented in the MWC hands down. He can't seem to make the critical decisions and inspire his teams.

Seems like only ones that do care is the true fans.

The fans in our section where pumped and ready for conference opener but I was very disappointed in the program itself.

First home game conference opener in years and just seems like the program and marketing department woukd make it a night deal.
Heard promises of new floor.. nothing
No special welcome to conference play hype.
Wasn't even any halftime entertainment planned. How does UNLV not have a great half time show??? It's the entertainment capital of the world, with tons of talent a few blocks away.
Haven't even seen the Rebel girls for past 3 or 4 games?

Started the year off great with the downtown thing but, nothing sense.

Thank goodness we have the kids in the rebellion because if not for that; the PAID marketing department brings nothing new and entertaining to the program. After this home opening lost, they better put their creative minds together and bring something because fans will disappear quickly.

The only Entertainment I want to see is these players playing hard and Ike and Seagars coming off the bench.

Me to!!! If Seagears starts next game I'll just turn it off. I have no problem with Seagears starting a later game if he plays his way into and deserves to start but, next game he should be deep on the bench.

My point is: the entire unlv basketball program seems to be disorganized and not giving 100% to the program. This just filters down.

It's the 5 th round of players,. Taking almost totally new guys.

But it's the same ol problems.

What is the one constant? The excuse of "Rice isn't the one turning the ball over, etc etc" ran is course 2 teams ago.

My point exactly. New players same problems. That clearly points to coaching in my opinion. Tired of the excuses. I hate to say it but I can't see that things will all of a sudden get better. We're possibly looking at another mediocre season in a season where we should absolutely win the conference and the conference tournament.

Clueless

McCaw last year ,as a 3 star player, surrounded by a bunch of 4 and 5 stars, was the smartest player on the court or sideline. He knew how to play the game and was not showing off for NBA scouts. Add Carter and you should have the ability to play as a team. It's just not happening. I'm wondering if McCaw is getting frustrated. We need him to be the on court leader of this team. Plus, no defense, no minutes. Bonehead play, on the bench. I still think we will win the MWC. Colorado State and Utah State lost good players, New Mexico and Wyoming are young and San Diego State can't score. Boise State should be our only competition.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT