ADVERTISEMENT

Who will step up and become the leader this season.

Hard to say, but if I had to pick someone, then I'll say Jerome

Over the next few seasons the fate of UNLV basketball is in Patrick McCaw's hands.

A few snips from the Grimala article "Patrick McCaw Emerges as Program Cornerstone" http://runrebs.com/2015/04/14/rebels-report-card-patrick-mccaw-2015/

McCaw rewarded Rice’s trust by blossoming into the Rebels’ best two-way player over the course of the season. He filled different roles on offense—he could be the team’s primary scorer, the main pick-and-roll ball handler, a floor spacing shooter, a transition driver—whatever the team needed on any particular night. He didn’t attack the rim a ton—but he shot 36.8 percent from 3-point range and bumped it up to 43.0 percent in conference play.

McCaw also played stellar defense, excelling whether the Rebels were playing zone or man-to-man. He held opponents to 33.8-percent shooting, second-best on the team behind Jelan Kendrick (30.8 percent), and opposing players scored just 74.8 points per 100 possessions when guarded by McCaw, the best mark on the team. He also made plays, leading the Rebels with 2.0 steals per 40 minutes.

Every time he was given more responsibility, he responded to the challenge. He was inserted into the starting lineup in place of an ineffective Jelan Kendrick in early January and proceeded to average 13.3 points and 4.0 assists over the next 12 games while making 46.0 percent of his 3-pointers. And when leading scorer Rashad Vaughn went down with a knee injury, McCaw assumed the role of go-to scorer and pumped in 16.2 points per game over the next five contests (until a concussion stunted his production)

Last edited:
I think we have a great blend this year, and we are going to see some that are going to step up. My first thought would be McCaw because of his coach mentality. My second would be a threesome, of Carter, Cornish and Seagers. Experience creates leaders.

McCaw coming off of his participation from last year, Seagers from being the starting PG and a senior and Coo from being the backup PG and the longest termed Rebel. More than anything though this tem will respond to leadership by example.

Reactions: Dirty Vegas
4 true leaders this next year. Seagers, McCaw, Zimm, and Ben... we are going to be GOOD !!! One night it will be one, the next night it will be another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT