ADVERTISEMENT

Who did we get??

It’s strange. It’s almost like the shortcomings were recognized last season and they decided to do something about it.
We have one very up and coming Assistant and another very established Assistant so I'm guessing that this is a pressure move on Odom's protege to up his game a bit. Did we lack pieces on the defensive side of the ball or was it play-calling from our DC? I don't know.

I agree that I'm very glad to see the staff self-analyzing and realizing where their deficits are and that they need to be upgraded.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
In other news Jayden Maiava is #2 on USC's depth chart behind a Junior. Dont know if he would've started here this year but he might be waiting 2 more years there. Nice pile of cash probably made it an easy decision. Might start here for $ or might start over there for $$$$$$$

In other news Jayden Maiava is #2 on USC's depth chart behind a Junior. Dont know if he would've started here this year but he might be waiting 2 more years there. Nice pile of cash probably made it an easy decision. Might start here for $ or might start over there for $$$$$$$
JM would have started for us IMO.

I’m sure he went to USC playing the long game and for some $$$. Hope it works out for him in the long run.

Lobby stated that at least at one point JM was QB1 at USC during the spring, though not surprised if that changed.

As for personnel vs coaching with our defense? Hard to know yet. The secondary especially had a lot of returners last season on it from the year before. Notable breakdowns there though with much too many big plays over the top. Considering how many new pieces will be in the rotation, I think we will more likely see an improvement there, but it may give us our answer of talent vs coaching. Talent wise it seems to be a big improvement given the pedigree of the newcomers. If the same breakdowns occur it may be scheming.

Last edited:
F*ck that guy. I hope he gets his head torn off there

JM would have started for us IMO.

I’m sure he went to USC playing the long game and for some $$$. Hope it works out for him in the long run.
He had a tremendous leg up on any incoming players. Even with expected freshman mistakes and even though he wasn’t super elusive and handled the ball like a loaf of bread, he was pretty good for a freshman.

I don’t blame him for taking a big pay day elsewhere. He’s not going to play in the NFL and you aren’t going to play FB overseas like in hoops. Make your money while you can and get that degree.

JM did a tremendous job as a freshman. He has all the talents that could have been special in this GoGo offense. But he chose to go to a new offence because of money. It may stunt his growth as a player but hopefully not. Good luck to the kid and his family.

JM did a tremendous job as a freshman. He has all the talents that could have been special in this GoGo offense. But he chose to go to a new offence because of money. It may stunt his growth as a player but hopefully not. Good luck to the kid and his family.
I don’t think it takes a special talent to make the offense work. I don’t think you can throw Scrub back there and make it work, but I don’t think you need to have an all MWC first teamer. There are so many wrinkles and looks and options, it’s about finding the right one at the right moment.

So I don’t think losing Maiava kills you, he’s replaceable. It’s not like losing Dedan Jr.

The strength of the offense is by system, not necessarily 5 star guys.

Defense is a little bit different.

Maiava wasn't a perfect fit for this offense, but he was pretty good. Marion talks how he can mold this offense to nearly any style of QB, but given how much the option plays into the run game, a more proficient runner definitely opens the playbook a bit more.

But the vertical passing game is a staple of the the Go Go. Maiava was pretty good at pushing the ball downfield, even if he was a little too aggressive at times.

Would Maiava beat out our newcomers? Hard to say. We don't sign them, at least not both of them if he stuck around. So kinda a weird hypothetical.

Maiava wasn't a perfect fit for this offense, but he was pretty good. Marion talks how he can mold this offense to nearly any style of QB, but given how much the option plays into the run game, a more proficient runner definitely opens the playbook a bit more.

But the vertical passing game is a staple of the the Go Go. Maiava was pretty good at pushing the ball downfield, even if he was a little too aggressive at times.

Would Maiava beat out our newcomers? Hard to say. We don't sign them, at least not both of them if he stuck around. So kinda a weird hypothetical.
Hard to say without seeing more of them but when you think of how many mistakes freshman QB’s make and another year in the offense I don’t see him getting beat out even if the other two are more athletic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT