ADVERTISEMENT

Which G5 Program would you like for us to play?

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
If we you could choose any G5 opponent for us to play in a bowl game, who would it be?

A team we might have a chance to give a battle. So not Georgia or one of those schools. My preference would be match up dependent are they a good or bad matchup for us. But picking a name that theoretically we might have a chance to compete with if we have a real strong season I would pick Clemson. They are still a name though they have fallen off the last few years. But still top 25 but also a team that could potentially lose to a lesser team.

A team we might have a chance to give a battle. So not Georgia or one of those schools. My preference would be match up dependent are they a good or bad matchup for us. But picking a name that theoretically we might have a chance to compete with if we have a real strong season I would pick Clemson. They are still a name though they have fallen off the last few years. But still top 25 but also a team that could potentially lose to a lesser team.
G5 generally refers to the Group of Five conferences (AAC, CUSA, SUN, MAC, MWC) not the Power 5 conferences (SEC, B1G, B12, ACC, PAC12), though the current iteration is more of a P4:G6. So Georgia and Clemson aren't what lobby is referring to here.
If we you could choose any G5 opponent for us to play in a bowl game, who would it be?
I have a soft spot for Coastal Carolina, but I'd want to see us play the top end of the G5 which would have meant Liberty or JMU this past season--though in fairness we couldn't handle Boise who were ranked well below either of those schools last year.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Ole Miss

G5 generally refers to the Group of Five conferences (AAC, CUSA, SUN, MAC, MWC) not the Power 5 conferences (SEC, B1G, B12, ACC, PAC12), though the current iteration is more of a P4:G6. So Georgia and Clemson aren't what lobby is referring to here.

I have a soft spot for Coastal Carolina, but I'd want to see us play the top end of the G5 which would have meant Liberty or JMU this past season--though in fairness we couldn't handle Boise who were ranked well below either of those schools last year.
We didn't handle Boise well, but Kansas would have cleaned the clock of UCLA, and UCLA easily beat Boise. Unfortunately for UNLV, they played poorly against BSU, and BSU had a very good game. In regards to Liberty, I think they were a paper tiger which showed when Oregon State beat them 45-6. I think SMU would be a good team, also Tulane and JMU

We didn't handle Boise well, but Kansas would have cleaned the clock of UCLA, and UCLA easily beat Boise. Unfortunately for UNLV, they played poorly against BSU, and BSU had a very good game. In regards to Liberty, I think they were a paper tiger which showed when Oregon State beat them 45-6. I think SMU would be a good team, also Tulane and JMU

Oregon beat Liberty
SMU is in the ACC (for now)

You mean Oregon, which a 39 point loss to Oregon is different than Oregon State (even though they were solid last year), they would have been the G5 representation in the expanded playoff last year.

SMU is now in the ACC.

I always have a hard time doing the paper/rock/scissors of this team beat this team and this team would have with no real evidence. Realistically I could say UNLV only beat two programs at or above .500 last year and one of those was without a starting QB who was fundamental to their offense. You start playing that moving shell game and you can say we're better than Kansas because we beat Wyoming, who beat Texas Tech, who beat Kansas. Too much conjecture for me to draw anything real from those sorts of statements.

You mean Oregon, which a 39 point loss to Oregon is different than Oregon State (even though they were solid last year), they would have been the G5 representation in the expanded playoff last year.

SMU is now in the ACC.

I always have a hard time doing the paper/rock/scissors of this team beat this team and this team would have with no real evidence. Realistically I could say UNLV only beat two programs at or above .500 last year and one of those was without a starting QB who was fundamental to their offense. You start playing that moving shell game and you can say we're better than Kansas because we beat Wyoming, who beat Texas Tech, who beat Kansas. Too much conjecture for me to draw anything real from those sorts of statements.
But that is what this thread is all about.

Oh right in that case no team really excites me so maybe UConn because I could drive there in an hour or so to see the game.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Are you a fan of ULL? I watched them quite a bit last year; fun team to watch.
Yes. For me it’s always UNLV first. But I’ve lived in Lafayette for the last 20 years. So so UL and LSU are both pretty fun to watch.

In basketball McNeese is having a heck of a year too.

Within the next 5 years, I want this program to get to a point where they are 70/30 versus the upper half of G5 schools. That being the baseline of the program going forward

American City conference…

unlv
memphis
utsa
cincy
houston
SDSU..

need two more

Not to nitpick, but relevant is misspelled on your handle...... :)

Bro...

A mispelling is the least of that dudes issues.

Let me paint you a picture...

He sits near me at the football games.

One game he wore white tie dyed yoga pants, what appeared to be a Care Bear Tie dye shirt, a plastic green cowboy hat with a Golden Knights sticker on it and a UNLV bath robe. Oh and there may have been a glow stick..The cowboy hat really brought the ensemble together.

Now...

Imagine trying to explain to your pretty conservative, West Point Graduating, retired Lt Colonel, Vietnam Vet father that the guy wearing a plastic green Cowboy hat and a bath robe is 'probably harmless.'

A misspelling won't phase him a bit.

Bro...

A mispelling is the least of that dudes issues.

Let me paint you a picture...

He sits near me at the football games.

One game he wore white tie dyed yoga pants, what appeared to be a Care Bear Tie dye shirt, a plastic green cowboy hat with a Golden Knights sticker on it and a UNLV bath robe. Oh and there may have been a glow stick..The cowboy hat really brought the ensemble together.

Now...

Imagine trying to explain to your pretty conservative, West Point Graduating, retired Lt Colonel, Vietnam Vet father that the guy wearing a plastic green Cowboy hat and a bath robe is 'probably harmless.'

A misspelling won't phase him a bit.
Ha ha!

As a kid we would tie dye our own jeans, and I had a tie dyed shirt too. Grooovy!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT