ADVERTISEMENT

Whaley

rebel5280

Rebel Legend
Feb 26, 2006
I’m really starting to like this guy!
Is he better than Hall?
Hall was more well rounded with the ball in his hands but Whaley is a fierce competitor, especially defensively!

Reactions: 1Tripoda
But why is this… is he lazy, slow?
It happened at his JC, as well. Sometimes a no show. I don’t know the kid, his temperament.

I’ve seen players do really well when they deliver the first punch and it has an impact. I’ve seen good players take a sharp jab and they’re down for the count.

I’m not sure what it is with him. You hope as they mature, they gain the consistent focus.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
That dunk by Whaley had shades of LJ. Similar body types (LJ was much more chiseled). If Whaley could become half of LJ we’d have something special in him. Not saying that’s what we should expect, just that the dunk gave me flashbacks.

He needs more on offense and to quit fouling on D! I hope that a P4’s NIL bag doesn’t find him this off-season and he comes back next year in year 2 like Wendell White did!

He needs to put in some work like Hall did!
I think the little bit more size works for him. Hall thought of himself as a guard, he’s the self proclaimed “big guard”. So those extra pounds hurt him.

Whaley seems to understand his game and I think the size really helps him on defense.

Reactions: dcut03
I’m for letting Kruger move along. He doesn’t move the needle. No fan support because of our style. That being said, I hope the next coach retains Whaley and Hicks. Both good players. Both have “ Runnin Rebel” in them. We’ve had too many good players moving along such as Hall, Gilbert who is starting for Iowa St who just beat Houston). And the guy that went to Baylor. Hicks and Whaley.. stay please.

I’m for letting Kruger move along. He doesn’t move the needle. No fan support because of our style. That being said, I hope the next coach retains Whaley and Hicks. Both good players. Both have “ Runnin Rebel” in them. We’ve had too many good players moving along such as Hall, Gilbert who is starting for Iowa St who just beat Houston). And the guy that went to Baylor. Hicks and Whaley.. stay please.
I agree!
My post was not me waffling at all. I believe the era of Kevin should have ended last season and beating UNM doesn’t change that. We beat UNM last year and it did little to change the trajectory of the team. Kevin has shown us all who he is and how he does things, we should believe him. He is not the right fit here!

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
I'm all for keeping players that grind and have dawg in them. I don't see much talent overall, but work ethic can make someone improve significantly (see L Amundsen and J Anthony).

If the next coach determines that the players have this, keep them on the team. But 5-foot-nothing JJ being our "best defender" doesn't move the needle with me especially when said JJ doesn't know how to play PG... and will never be a PG.

I’m really starting to like this guy!
Is he better than Hall?
Hall was more well rounded with the ball in his hands but Whaley is a fierce competitor, especially defensively!
Have anyone measure this kid vertical hop? Who does he think he is, Charles Barkley?

Reactions: rebel5280
If there is a coaching change expect the roster to be be depleted again as usual including James and N'Diaye. Guys staying will be those with zero options also as usual.

So like 4 guys...
The roster is full of 5th year guys who are all out of eligibility. I think we have 7 or 8 on the roster, which means a whole new cast again. It's why a Coaching change won't matter with player retention.
But I like Whaley. I appreciate guys who hustle and aren't afraid to challenge guys at rim.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
So like 4 guys...
The roster is full of 5th year guys who are all out of eligibility. I think we have 7 or 8 on the roster, which means a whole new cast again. It's why a Coaching change won't matter with player retention.
But I like Whaley. I appreciate guys who hustle and aren't afraid to challenge guys at rim.
You need a recount. Only 1 schollie available if everyone stays.

You need a recount. Only 1 schollie available if everyone stays.
I believe these are the players that are gone after this year due to no more eligibility
Hill, Webster, Boone brothers, Rod, Jones.

That is 6 leaving that schollies will be available for. Not sure how many have committed but will be replacing at minimum half the team

I believe these are the players that are gone after this year due to no more eligibility

That is 6 leaving that schollies will be available for. Not sure how many have committed but will be replacing at minimum half the team
3 2024 recruits so far. So 3 open schollies

Hill is eligible for a MedRS and has stated that he wants to return, Jones has another year because of Covid. 3 new players already signed. 1 remaining scholarship.

If we had more players like Robert Whaley
Tough MF'ers who are ready to battle and lay
it on the line with all out effort

We wouldnt be talking about "should we" or shouldn't we be in support of a coaching change.

LOve that guy

If we had more players like Robert Whaley
Tough MF'ers who are ready to battle and lay
it on the line with all out effort

We wouldnt be talking about "should we" or shouldn't we be in support of a coaching change.

LOve that guy
Right now you do. What about earlier where the effort was low? What about later when the effort isn’t where it should be? Like in Juco?

To me a “beast” is all out effort - every second of play. We’ve had those before.

As far as coaching change; I hope KK does well enough to finish out the year that it’s not in doubt. But that’s a tall task. Coaching searches suck. Retooling every couple of years sucks. It sucks worse to hold on for too long because that just dilutes the fanbase more, it’s a gamble.

We have no impact over whether it happens or not or who we hire or not, so I just wait for the chips to fall and deal with it from there.

Right now you do. What about earlier where the effort was low? What about later when the effort isn’t where it should be? Like in Juco?

To me a “beast” is all out effort - every second of play. We’ve had those before.

As far as coaching change; I hope KK does well enough to finish out the year that it’s not in doubt. But that’s a tall task. Coaching searches suck. Retooling every couple of years sucks. It sucks worse to hold on for too long because that just dilutes the fanbase more, it’s a gamble.

We have no impact over whether it happens or not or who we hire or not, so I just wait for the chips to fall and deal with it from there.
Of course it is because we have done it on the cheap every single time!

My hope is Harper sees that and he doesn’t have to look any further than his football hire, no more assistant coaches or former HC’s kids, get someone who has ran a program who can recruit slightly better than good and I think we see a difference in UNLV hoops pretty quickly!

Whaley has great footwork because of Coach Williams and others. He still does not have a 15 footer. All of our team played hard yesterday, I was there and saw the intensity between the two teams. They had better athletes at times and so did we. A real D1 game that the refs did not see. I can differ with the offensive sets and the choices of players with the Coach but I won't say the team did not play hard or give their best effort.

He is benefiting from double teams on Boone. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up. The opponents will be faced with the decision to double him or Boone. If they double him Boone should have a much easier time. And in either case our perimeter players will have it easier.

It’s a big step up from JC to D1. Can’t just get by on superior strength or athleticism. Also a lot to be said for experience at this level. Anticipating what is about to happen instead of being caught flat footed and watching it happen. That is all wrapped up in what people call seeing the game slow down for you. Add in to that finding out that you need to go all in for every minute on the floor. Can’t give a 90% effort at this level and expect to succeed.

That is the light bulb that is turning on for Whaley. For everyone that complains about “why wasn’t he playing more all year” the answer is simple, he wasn’t ready. Same thing is starting to happen, I hope, with Hicks. He will also become one hell of a player.

I was at the game. Broncos had no answer for Rob, he was just a matchup nightmare for them. Was awesome to see him playing so aggressive. He seemed to want to show the folks in Idaho, where he played the last couple years at CSI. that he is all that. I'm sold. He was the difference, along with a dose of Kalib and some shaky FT shooting down the stretch for BSU.

He is benefiting from double teams on Boone. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up. The opponents will be faced with the decision to double him or Boone. If they double him Boone should have a much easier time. And in either case our perimeter players will have it easier.
Hardly bro - That's not the reason_ usually they play the same post position (4 out 1 in ) and dont play at the same time much - if they do the spacing isn't their for Robert to receive the double team pass _ it would go to the perimeter. they don't play a high low post scheme - they play a pro set with spacing

Boones team- mates like Whaley only benefit on the double team if the player (double teamed) passes out of the double team - Ka Boone usually plays thru the double teams because the defense cant close on him quick enough _ he is a super quick POST player and slithers his way in between 2 defenders - he isn't the best post passer and doesn't use that option hardly ever- It would be nice if he could find the wide open guys spot up more and tried to dunk less often on drop steps

i cant ever recall him passing the ball to Whaley on a double team.

Whaley gets his production off of of hustle plays

Last edited:
I’ve seen Whaley make a few interior passes when double-teamed so he appears capable of doing it. If he can keep this level of production he’ll become a real headache for opposing teams and as mentioned it will create more opportunities and spacing for others. If our guards can improve their shooting — looking at you JWeb — we’ll be an even more difficult opponent.
Wondering if/when CKK moves him into the starting lineup? Bench Web and move Keylan to the guard spot could create match-up headaches but not sure he could handle quick guards. Or move Louis to lock down the opponents shooting guard and bring in Web off the bench? Interesting options.

I'd love to see Whaley improve on his FT. He's averaging 62%. He went 50% against USU.
I have a problem with key guys who can’t make free throws. In close games they hurt the team down the stretch. It’s like Shaq and DeAndre Jordan are nice to have unless it’s at the free throw line!

I have a problem with key guys who can’t make free throws. In close games they hurt the team down the stretch. It’s like Shaq and DeAndre Jordan are nice to have unless it’s at the free throw line!
FT’s are a glaring weakness of DJ - and he doesn’t have many weaknesses - but with him as our primary and best ball-handler (by far) we really need him to be money in the final two min at the line. Both times he was purposefully fouled in the final minute of USU and BSU he missed his second FT, keeping the game within reach for the opponent. I’m not trying to be overly critical of DJ bc I’ll take his 66% FT all day when he’s giving us incredible PG play every game but in a discussion of FT’s specifically, it does rise up as something that needs to improve.

FT’s are a glaring weakness of DJ - and he doesn’t have many weaknesses - but with him as our primary and best ball-handler (by far) we really need him to be money in the final two min at the line. Both times he was purposefully fouled in the final minute of USU and BSU he missed his second FT, keeping the game within reach for the opponent. I’m not trying to be overly critical of DJ bc I’ll take his 66% FT all day when he’s giving us incredible PG play every game but in a discussion of FT’s specifically, it does rise up as something that needs to improve.
When they showed that stat for DJ I was shocked that his FT% was that low!

When they showed that stat for DJ I was shocked that his FT% was that low!
Look at the arc on all his shots. Very flat. Hard to be a good shooter with a flat shot as physics of space for ball to not hit the rim are against you. Same reason Lrod is a bad shooter.

Watch arc Steph Curry shoots with. Moon shots.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT