ADVERTISEMENT

Vaughn rises in draft per Zagoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing both Wood and Vaughn showed very well and are the rise with both possibly going 1st round. Wood basically a lock and Vaughn could possibly sneak in. Surprisingly I did hear the one knock on Wood was his body fat which was the 2nd worse recorded.

Anyone know how Wood performed at the combine and did his stock rise or fall?

SI has him going 28th, to the Celtics, due to his ability to shoot outside.

celtics_150.png

27Boston Celtics
Christian Wood, FORWARD*
UNLV, Sophomore | 6-11, 220
Wood brings a big, athletic, defensive-minded presence to a Boston frontcourt that doesn’t have much of one. Wood needs to mature physically, but he can shoot from the outside, a skill G.M. Danny Ainge is fond of.

Chris will drive Danny Ainge CRAZY. But as a Knick fan, that sounds okay!

I believe RV and CW are first round picks. If CW sneeks in the lottery, it would be huge for UNLV.

During games you would think RV is not doing shit!, you look up at the scoreboard and he has 16 points. He has a great shot. There are plenty of slashers in the NBA and less great shooters.

Being a defensive minded player isn't what I would call Wood. He likes to block shots and..... that is it.

What is more amazing:?

Last years UNLV team produced 2 1st round draft picks OR

Last years UNLV with 2 1at round draft picks finished 7th in a down year MWC

What is more amazing:?

Last years UNLV team produced 2 1st round draft picks OR

Last years UNLV with 2 1at round draft picks finished 7th in a down year MWC

...or even more amazing! How short sighted and impatient fans can be.

I believe RV and CW are first round picks. If CW sneeks in the lottery, it would be huge for UNLV.

During games you would think RV is not doing shit!, you look up at the scoreboard and he has 16 points. He has a great shot. There are plenty of slashers in the NBA and less great shooters.

I'd love to see Vaughn or Wood go to the Lakers as the 27th pick. Here's another mock draft that has Vaughn going 29th to the Nets because "he could develop into a consistent three point threat." http://sports.yahoo.com/news/isaacsons-nba-mock-draft-050100314--nba.html

I'd love to see Vaughn or Wood go to the Lakers as the 27th pick. Here's another mock draft that has Vaughn going 29th to the Nets because "he could develop into a consistent three point threat." http://sports.yahoo.com/news/isaacsons-nba-mock-draft-050100314--nba.html

Just one more.

This guy has Wood going at 24 to the Cavs. http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/blakelys-nba-mock-draft-30-lottery-set?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

The reason this is fun is because the Lakers will at least be worth watching again. Woohoo!

Reactions: JTthe2nd
Sports Illustrated has them going back to back
    bulls_150.png

CHICAGO BULLS
    CHRISTIAN WOOD, F
    UNLV, SOPHOMORE | 6-11, 220
    The rapidly developing Wood is a bit of a risk here—Justin Anderson or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, two defensive-minded players, are safer picks—but the Bulls need frontcourt offense and Wood has terrific inside-out potential. He won’t play much in his first year, maybe two, but he has an enormous upside.

trail_blazers_150.png

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
    RASHAD VAUGHN, G
    UNLV, FRESHMAN | 6-6, 210
    With Wesley Matthews' future uncertain and Aaron Afflalo headed for free agency, Vaughn, a solid scorer for the Rebels last season with a diverse offensive skill set, is a solid choice.

Reactions: Trax0r
I would not mind seeing RV land with the Lakes, i think he is good for some instant offense off the bench his rookie year. Great shooter, does not have force his way to score points.

I took a little bashing earlier in the year from many here. I posted an article with commentary regarding potential draft stock, specifically Vaughn. A scout basically said his stock at the next level would be higher, that he'll be a better pro than he was showing in college. He went on to say that Rice/staff wasn't developing Vaughn at all.

You guys had the talent, just not the staff to do anything with it. You'll see more of the same next season.

The fact we could have 2 NBA 1st rounders and had as poor a record as we had makes your comment hard to dispute. However I thought the team played hard and mostly played well for much of the season. Our lack of depth and lack of experience hurt - those were real handicaps even if the anti-Rice crowd won't admit it. That won't be the case this year. If Rice doesn't get it done(1st or 2nd MWC, at large bid to the NCAAs, strong showing in the NCAAs) he won't ever get it done. It really is now or never.

Would love to see RV with the lakers, not only because I love the lakers but he would also be a good fit there. It would allow him to learn from the 2nd best ever to play the same position he plays (Kobe) as well as I could see him developing as a nice fit with Okafor to throw out of the post for a Vaughn 3.

The fact we could have 2 NBA 1st rounders and had as poor a record as we had makes your comment hard to dispute. However I thought the team played hard and mostly played well for much of the season. Our lack of depth and lack of experience hurt - those were real handicaps even if the anti-Rice crowd won't admit it. That won't be the case this year. If Rice doesn't get it done(1st or 2nd MWC, at large bid to the NCAAs, strong showing in the NCAAs) he won't ever get it done. It really is now or never.

Level-headed response vs "cool story bro." or my post being deleted. I root for you guys, but as an objective outsider, your coach can recruit and that's where his skillset stops.

It's a difficult issue for an AD, do you make a move and drop a coach that continues to land great recruits or sacrifice a few recruits to get a true competitor running your program? Unfortunately, for you guys, you watch a team with talent finishing in the lower half of your conference.

Level-headed response vs "cool story bro." or my post being deleted. I root for you guys, but as an objective outsider, your coach can recruit and that's where his skillset stops.

It's a difficult issue for an AD, do you make a move and drop a coach that continues to land great recruits or sacrifice a few recruits to get a true competitor running your program? Unfortunately, for you guys, you watch a team with talent finishing in the lower half of your conference.
Why don't we wait and see how next season turns out first.

Reactions: Dloch002
Rice is the first one to admit he made mistakes.... Is he learning from them? Year one Rice wins against #1 UNC, and an at large bid to tourny. Was a little to easy. Year 2 - coaches like he did at BYU leaving decision making up to Katin (Jimmer want a be) and giving freedom and green light to players. Learns that need certain type of players for that system. Assistant coach that back stabs. Year 3 - Egos and head cases. No team chemistry at all. Same situation at UK when they had number one recruiting class, 5 star players, Coach Cal and dont make the tourny. Year 4 Rice recruits a different type of player, team oriented freshman, and a veteran pass first PG. Although this team had the worst record, I saw improvement. Rice got a technical ! The team gelled together better, team hustled (Wood had his moments) and played hard. Never imploded and quit. Beat Arizona. Was in most games, lost so many close games due to very thin bench, 2 bigs, actually one true big! (freshman at that) Wood thought he was a guard many times. Took Vaughn a couple games to get comfortable, then he started to dominate, came down with the flu and had 3 or 4 off games, then started to dominate again and got hurt. UNLV played with basically 6 players the last third of the season and still in every game. YES ... Rice is not coach of the year and has made growing mistakes. YES other fan bases are smart enough to jump all over Rice and tell the world and future recruits they will not get better under Rice blah blah .... What sucks is the rebel fans that jump on the Rice horrible bandwagon with them. Not many first year coaches have won as many games as Rice has; nor came close to his recruiting abilities as a new head coach. Rice is a smart guy who is a true UNLV rebel the has turned down more money to stay and build this program. He has made many mistakes as a new head coach and placed trust in some he shouldn't have: but is smart enough to learn from those mistakes and grow. Glad the recruits and their families that meet with and get to know Rice realize that.

GO REBELS!!!!

I remember reading an article on Runrebs that broke down the difference each year of CDR's tenure on minutes per man and scoring that was returned each season he coached. I can't find it in their archives, but it showed interesting information that also contributed to each years results. Coaching is big, talent is big, chemistry is also a very large factor. I think most are placing too much on coaching being a negitive and talent being under used. It's easy to be an arm chair coach and second guess. I for one hope he proves to all of us the reason UNLV hired him in the first place. It would be a shame to lose a young talented coach early in his career just to see him later become a coach we should have been more patient with.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Paragraphs matter. I know, I know, grammar police blah blah blah. But no sane mind can read that stream of consciousness stuff without a paragraph.

Rice is the first one to admit he made mistakes.... Is he learning from them?

Year one Rice wins against #1 UNC, and an at large bid to tourny. Was a little to easy.

Year 2 - coaches like he did at BYU leaving decision making up to Katin (Jimmer want a be) and giving freedom and green light to players. Learns that need certain type of players for that system. Assistant coach that back stabs.

Year 3 - Egos and head cases. No team chemistry at all. Same situation at UK when they had number one recruiting class, 5 star players, Coach Cal and dont make the tourny.

Year 4 Rice recruits a different type of player, team oriented freshman, and a veteran pass first PG. Although this team had the worst record, I saw improvement. Rice got a technical ! The team gelled together better, team hustled (Wood had his moments) and played hard. Never imploded and quit. Beat Arizona. Was in most games, lost so many close games due to very thin bench, 2 bigs, actually one true big! (freshman at that) Wood thought he was a guard many times. Took Vaughn a couple games to get comfortable, then he started to dominate, came down with the flu and had 3 or 4 off games, then started to dominate again and got hurt. UNLV played with basically 6 players the last third of the season and still in every game.

YES ... Rice is not coach of the year and has made growing mistakes.

YES other fan bases are smart enough to jump all over Rice and tell the world and future recruits they will not get better under Rice blah blah ....

What sucks is the rebel fans that jump on the Rice horrible bandwagon with them. Not many first year coaches have won as many games as Rice has; nor came close to his recruiting abilities as a new head coach. Rice is a smart guy who is a true UNLV rebel the has turned down more money to stay and build this program. He has made many mistakes as a new head coach and placed trust in some he shouldn't have: but is smart enough to learn from those

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT