ADVERTISEMENT

This is what is happening with UNLV --- official info

Rebel_Westgate

Walk On
Jan 9, 2016
So now that you all know that I know what everyone at UNLV knows we can move forward together.........

UNLVs attempt of having him resign was the initial plan that was finalized Sunday morning. Been told that Simon was automatically put in place but is not the long term plan.

The following is what is happening with our UNLV basketball program.

- UNLV booster is basically calling the shots as there are soma major, major plans for the entire athletic department and city of Las Vegas which is almost done and I personally have seen initial plans and you would understand fully why things are happening the way they are.

- UNLV initial plans are to target (5) coaches - with *2 coaches currently behind the scene talks have already been going. However I personally believe that 1 coach is not going to be part of the discussion with what I know how the talks are going. I think this committee that UNLV has doing things for them have 1 idea in mind and will basically come down to #1 choice and then move quickly to #2 which they believe is a for sure hire.

I will announce the names of these candidates but I will wait for confirmation that its a good idea.

- major UNLV project. The project that is currently in the plans is almost complete the final phase and been told its going to put UNLV on the map in a elite professional way. Ive gotten a glimpse and its amazing.

-

The plot thickens...

I guess i trust you a little more than the average random message board poster. It's hard for me to see any agenda at play here. Maybe I'm missing it.

You were in early on the firing news. Keep it coming detective. We want names.

Clearly talking about stadium / practice facilities / conference realignment, along with the coaching change. What's the timeframe on any official announcements?

The plot thickens. It is impossible for me to imagine that names of coaches can be released publicly if the coaches are currently coaching at some college. Also, talking to an active coach requires consent from that coach's AD. I am not sure if that is an NCAA mandate or just "common courtesy." That does not mean that some discussions using subterranean channels have not taken place with a coach or two, but any active successful coach willing to undermine his current position to talk about UNLV's position, has an integrity problem!

On the other hand, if there is some major announcement vis-a-vis the athletic program in general, I am all ears.

YOUR KILLLING ME SMALLS!!

Ugh. I hate code speak. You gotta gives us a little more so we all don't jump ship when our renewal notices come out soon. I take it this will be a good thing from what your saying right? If it's a major booster then it has to be someone besides Findlay cause I don't think his net worth is big enough to provide major compensation to a high level coach.

UNLV = Elite professional connection ??

Geez and I was just hoping that with the new medical school we would be invited into the PAC 12. I guess I'm not dreaming big enough.

Please keep the flow of info coming and sorry we didn't believe you before but you have to understand that there are a lot of posers out there. And of course for us poor souls who can't afford the high cost of the confidential board.

Reactions: Mjs_702
YOUR KILLLING ME SMALLS!!

Ugh. I hate code speak. You gotta gives us a little more so we all don't jump ship when our renewal notices come out soon. I take it this will be a good thing from what your saying right? If it's a major booster then it has to be someone besides Findlay cause I don't think his net worth is big enough to provide major compensation to a high level coach.

UNLV = Elite professional connection ??

Geez and I was just hoping that with the new medical school we would be invited into the PAC 12. I guess I'm not dreaming big enough.

Please keep the flow of info coming and sorry we didn't believe you before but you have to understand that there are a lot of posers out there. And of course for us poor souls who can't afford the high cost of the confidential board.
I also think that with the new medical school and when we build the new stadium that we will be invited to the PAC 12

I want a PAC 12 invite as much as anyone, but even with a medical school and a new stadium it is just wishful thinking. The PAC 12 doesn't need UNLV or Vegas. They already have a huge presence there. There are probably more fans of PAC 12 schools in Vegas than there are UNLV fans. They already have great recruiting ties here.They already have our TV market. They don't need UNLV to get people in Vegas to watch. Adding UNLV would not get a bigger TV contract. They already use the city for their B-Ball tourney and will use it when we build our new stadium. There is literally no incentive for the PAC 12 to invite UNLV. UNLV has to offer something the PAC 12 doesn't have or offer something that they want. If UNLV all of a sudden became a top tier research school, or got a national following in basketball again, or something. Right now there is no reason to add UNLV and if the PAC did expand it would go to Texas and skip Nevada entirely.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I could only sneak a black and white camera in but this is a picture from this sit down:

WirtzCharmer.jpg

I have heard from speaking directly to Coach Sanchez that the the PAC-12 HAS expressed interest in UNLV which why the sudden upgrade to the football program. It is also why I don't understand why UNLV isn't putting up major money for a new high profile coach. If we can spend $72 million renovating the T & M, why can't we spend $3 million to get a coach to fill it.
I also think that with the new medical school and when we build the new stadium that we will be invited to the PAC 12

Last edited:
The medical school--and a new football stadium in another five years--would help UNLV get into the Pac-12 eventually, but it will take another ten years at minimum before UNLV is ready for that stage: that's an optimistic assessment that assumes the drought goes away in the next three to five years. Most likely, it will be fifteen years before that happens; possibly twenty if the economy remains sluggish.

I have heard from speaking directly to Coach Sanchez that the the PAC-12 HAS expressed interest in UNLV which why the sudden upgrade to the football program. It is also why I don't understand why UNLV isn't putting up major money for a new high profile coach. If we can spend $72 million renovating the T & M, why can't we spend $3 million to get a coach to fill it.
Where did the 72.5M Come from? UNLV??????

Well, as someone moving to Vegas later this year to become a Rebel as a masters student, this sounds exciting! [banana]

The medical school--and a new football stadium in another five years--would help UNLV get into the Pac-12 eventually, but it will take another ten years at minimum before UNLV is ready for that stage: that's an optimistic assessment that assumes the drought goes away in the next three to five years. Most likely, it will be fifteen years before that happens; possibly twenty if the economy remains sluggish.
Man I wish the powers that be hurry all this stuff up. I'm getting old and I would really like to see all this come to reality while I'm still around.

I want a PAC 12 invite as much as anyone, but even with a medical school and a new stadium it is just wishful thinking. The PAC 12 doesn't need UNLV or Vegas. They already have a huge presence there. There are probably more fans of PAC 12 schools in Vegas than there are UNLV fans. They already have great recruiting ties here.They already have our TV market. They don't need UNLV to get people in Vegas to watch. Adding UNLV would not get a bigger TV contract. They already use the city for their B-Ball tourney and will use it when we build our new stadium. There is literally no incentive for the PAC 12 to invite UNLV. UNLV has to offer something the PAC 12 doesn't have or offer something that they want. If UNLV all of a sudden became a top tier research school, or got a national following in basketball again, or something. Right now there is no reason to add UNLV and if the PAC did expand it would go to Texas and skip Nevada entirely.

The fact that it is a fun place to go and that there are so many readily available fans, I think is what makes us attractive. They would add another 4-5 trips to Vegas for football, and all the trips for basketball. Then we could offer the services of the T&M for the conference championships which would generate more $.

Can't a guy dream? But I do think that should be our goal. Utah made it, why not us?

There are not more Pac fans in Vegas than UNLV, dude you're smoking crack!
The rest of your post is bs too, just because they have their tourney in Vegas means they have the Vegas TV market cornered? Lol, yeah right. You sound like another delusional Southern Californian overrating their pull in Vegas. Research school means squat, it's all about the dollars. If adding UNLV means making dollars then it makes sense to the Pac. That's the bottom line. SDSU and UNLV could both end up in the Pac in the future. That seems far more logical than a west coast conference adding Texas schools.

Reactions: edap23

These things all bring in revenew besides the few UNLV sporting events held in them in each year. Don't know what type of stadium they are looking to build currently, but the old mock ups of UNLVNow where the stadium could morph for different venues would work great. Football, switch to a soccer specific Stadium for an MLS team, switch to a concert venue. Lots of upside for a venue in Vegas. To much cash though? Will see I guess.

There are not more Pac fans in Vegas than UNLV, dude you're smoking crack!
The rest of your post is bs too, just because they have their tourney in Vegas means they have the Vegas TV market cornered? Lol, yeah right. You sound like another delusional Southern Californian overrating their pull in Vegas. Research school means squat, it's all about the dollars. If adding UNLV means making dollars then it makes sense to the Pac. That's the bottom line. SDSU and UNLV could both end up in the Pac in the future. That seems far more logical than a west coast conference adding Texas schools.

I don't know the numbers, but it's not unreasonable to assume that if UNLV was playing UNR in football in Reno, the TV ratings for that game in Vegas would be less than almost any PAC 12 match up. You don't think more people are watching say USC VS ASU? Their games actually matter. I mean as die hard UNLV fans who post on message boards it might seem like the most important thing in the world, but the rest of Vegas? We can't even fill the T&M on a regular basis. Where are all of those UNLV fans? Do you really think if you looked for fans of every Pac 12 school in Vegas they wouldn't outnumber the number of UNLV fans? Seriously, there are some casual fans out there who kind of care, but there aren't many who are going to watch the games on TV. And even if there are more UNLV fans, there sure aren't enough to make a difference in the PAC 12 TV market share.

Research activity means nothing to some conferences and is a very big deal to others. The Pac 12 and the Big 10 care very much about institutional profile. You might not believe it but just look at what their presidents and commissioner have to say about it. Their conference affiliation goes beyond athletics. They have a certain standard and they will not compromise on it. UNLV will fit that profile soon, but it will be too late IMO. SDSU has zero chance at getting into the Pac 12 unfortunately. They are a great school with really good athletic programs, but they are a Cal State school. Again, the PAC has standards and Cal States don't meet those standards.

The Pac 12 has gone after Texas and Oklahoma before. If they want to expand they will do it again. No other western teams add value to the conference. Like I said, they can go to Vegas whenever they want, and adding UNLV brings in no new significant revenue. Tell me what's so attractive about UNLV that the Pac 12 would be interested? I think UNLV would be a great fit for the Pac 12. Vegas would be a great Pac 12 city and UNLV would already be competitive in many of their sports (golf, swimming, maybe soccer, basketball) and definitely wouldn't be a bottom feeder in any of them except football. I think UNLV belongs in the Pac 12, but it's really hard to look at it from an outsider prospective and see why they would want to add us. Even with a new football stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRRRebels
The fact that it is a fun place to go and that there are so many readily available fans, I think is what makes us attractive. They would add another 4-5 trips to Vegas for football, and all the trips for basketball. Then we could offer the services of the T&M for the conference championships which would generate more $.

Can't a guy dream? But I do think that should be our goal. Utah made it, why not us?

Man I hope you're right. Would be amazing.

Utah go in because:
1. Texas and Oklahoma declined the Pac invite.
2. They are far enough away, and in a big enough market that they added some monetary value to the conference
3. They fit the academic profile with very high research activity,
4. Their football program was killing it.

I think we can get there but will it be too late? Man, I hope not.

Nobody has any idea what the PAC12 will do. It's all speculation. They might take UNLV because they want regional partners or they may not. Who knows. Nobody on here knows that's for sure.

So now that you all know that I know what everyone at UNLV knows we can move forward together.........

UNLVs attempt of having him resign was the initial plan that was finalized Sunday morning. Been told that Simon was automatically put in place but is not the long term plan.

The following is what is happening with our UNLV basketball program.

- UNLV booster is basically calling the shots as there are soma major, major plans for the entire athletic department and city of Las Vegas which is almost done and I personally have seen initial plans and you would understand fully why things are happening the way they are.

- UNLV initial plans are to target (5) coaches - with *2 coaches currently behind the scene talks have already been going. However I personally believe that 1 coach is not going to be part of the discussion with what I know how the talks are going. I think this committee that UNLV has doing things for them have 1 idea in mind and will basically come down to #1 choice and then move quickly to #2 which they believe is a for sure hire.

I will announce the names of these candidates but I will wait for confirmation that its a good idea.

- major UNLV project. The project that is currently in the plans is almost complete the final phase and been told its going to put UNLV on the map in a elite professional way. Ive gotten a glimpse and its amazing.

-
Im gonna assume in your last remark you were referring to today's announcement about a domed stadium and the raiders. I will never doubt you again.

Reactions: ljurich and edap23
Holy crap. I wasn't expecting all that!

That quick, and a chance to bump up into the big-time comes up.

Exciting.

Reactions: rebel323
Texas would be in the Pac-12 right now if it wasn't for Oklahoma wanting to bring Oklahoma State along. Texas is a perfect fit for the Pac-12 with the exception of them being in the central time zone.

Where did the 72.5M Come from? UNLV??????

It's no secret where the money for the upgrades to the T&M came from. It's in the newspaper.

"The current project is paid for by slot-tax bonds, donations from the families of Nevada bankers E. Perry Thomas and Jerome Mack, the facility’s namesakes, and a $12 million loan, Newcomb said."

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/oct/20/thomas-mack-centers-725-million-modernization-proj/

Article also states that the Mack, in its pre-renovation form, was not code or ADA compliant. Which means UNLV had no choice but to upgrade the facility or risk its closure, not to mention lawsuits! :)

Texas would be in the Pac-12 right now if it wasn't for Oklahoma wanting to bring Oklahoma State along. Texas is a perfect fit for the Pac-12 with the exception of them being in the central time zone.

I thought there were some wranglings (no pun intended) over Texas' media deal as well.

It can't be basketball coaching news.

That leaves football facility news?
More stadium news?
A proposal for how we intend to get P5 admittance?

It can't be basketball coaching news.

That leaves football facility news?
More stadium news?
A proposal for how we intend to get P5 admittance?

I have no idea but I have been refreshing the RJ website all day. To be bigger than the stadium news is kind of hard to imagine.

He said much more exciting. Hard to imagine it being much bigger than the stadium but I am just going by what he said.

What is more exciting than a 1 billion dollar stadium? (Besides a 2 billion dollar stadium)

Hard to imagine...

For me football facilities would be most exciting news.

That and eventual P5 inclusion.

What is more exciting than a 1 billion dollar stadium? (Besides a 2 billion dollar stadium)

Hard to imagine...

For me football facilities would be most exciting news.

That and eventual P5 inclusion.

I agree. That is why I am so eager. I didn't but it when he first posted about it, but now he (or she) really has my attention.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT