ADVERTISEMENT

Roster turnover coming?

So the excuse next season will be roster turnover... again.

At least he’s consistent!
Man, it’s going to take some luck. So many new faces are tough even when they are really good (see Rice year two) ... I think they absolutely would need a summer exhibition tour (regardless of situation, moreso if we get 7 or 8 new). Remember, one jackass (someone that doesn’t buy in) usually isn’t that big of a deal. Two jackasses can multiply the problems of jackassery. And you just don’t know with new guys.

He’s gonna have to break the piggy bank to get some talent here in Vegas and quite frankly, I don’t see anyone high level enough to come play for the Rebels anytime soon..

Otzelberger said the transition from high school to Division I college ball has been more difficult than normal for Yap, Martinez and Brown due to the limited offseason schedule. UNLV had to cancel its exhibition trip to Canada due to COVID-19, and much of the non-conference schedule was scrapped as well.

In hindsight, expanding the incoming 2020 class to include developmental prospects looks like a bad move.

“This wasn’t the year where you wanted to have six freshmen,” Otzelberger said. “They didn’t have a summer or a fall, and we initially planned a summer trip. If we’d have known COVID was coming we would have had a different plan of attack. By the time the season started we had so little time with them and the ones who played were thrown into the fire and had to figure it out on the fly.”

What total bullshit. This makes me lose the very little respect I still have for TJ. So, if we had our summer trip and more practice time Martinez, Yapp, and Brown would all the sudden be good enough to be in the rotation? Absolute bullshit. You and the staff calculated horribly that the talent that was needed, was on this roster and they need to own up to it, instead of making excuses.

Last edited:
Otzelberger said the transition from high school to Division I college ball has been more difficult than normal for Yap, Martinez and Brown due to the limited offseason schedule. UNLV had to cancel its exhibition trip to Canada due to COVID-19, and much of the non-conference schedule was scrapped as well.

In hindsight, expanding the incoming 2020 class to include developmental prospects looks like a bad move.

“This wasn’t the year where you wanted to have six freshmen,” Otzelberger said. “They didn’t have a summer or a fall, and we initially planned a summer trip. If we’d have known COVID was coming we would have had a different plan of attack. By the time the season started we had so little time with them and the ones who played were thrown into the fire and had to figure it out on the fly.”

What total bullshit. This makes me lose the very little respect I still have for TJ. So, if we had our summer trip and more practice time Martinez, Yapp, and Brown would all the sudden be good enough to be in the rotation? Absolute bullshit. You and the staff calculated horribly the talent that was needed on this roster and they need to own up to it, instead of making excuses.

I think he has a valid point. It had an impact. And it probably impacted UNLV more than the average D1 team, but it impacted everyone, some more, some less.

You cannot predict injuries either. You may be more or less fortunate than others, but it’s a similar thing.

Its kind of why I’m tempered this season and willing to wait. It’s an asterisk season for me anyway. It “doesn’t count”. But it does have an impact on faith in the direction. For me, yeah, it’s less. I canget a warm and fuzzy “future is bright” by the results of this season and the incoming class and returnees (Zaon did impact that because I liked him a lot). But my faith has zero impact on the future of the basketball team, only with my interest and the general interest of others (call it experience).

So the best I can do is “wait and see” with not a ton of faith, but I can’t take over the coals for this season alone. Yes, errors made, responded poorly to adversity... but it’s not a great season to use in a sampling either.

I am on record he needs 3 transfers to come in and play, that's with Hamilton/Jenkins/Diong all gone, he needs ball handlers, guys who can pass and create to make Grill/Wood worth anything, if not get rid of both of them too. De Cadia, give him the boot. I know nothing about Yap, so basically this was RS year for him, for those who have seen him, can he be a role player down the line? I know Martinez future, the Lindsey kid, I have no clue.

Collins loss is huge, having a PG this year would have made huge difference, you could take CSU (2) BSU games and UNR has wins, now UNLV at 12 wins in conference. We all know how horrible roster construction, and I Agree on how good is the staff, who can recruit for them? But Otz has system and he didn't recruit to it at all. I think next year could be the worse in history looking at the roster as is, hell Marv 1st year team might be next year team by a dozen.

From what I have read and heard I am expecting Hamilton, Jenkins, Diong, Martinez, Yap and Del Cadia and possibly Brown to leave.
That would have Grill, Coleman, Lindsey, Wood, Blake Tillis and possibly Brown returning. Keshon Gilbert coming in and Kaluma (still have my doubts) that leaves 4-5 more players to come. Next year could be lining up to be the worst in UNLV history if otz cant hit a couple home runs on the transfer market.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT