ADVERTISEMENT

Rice loves shot blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I respect the talent, I'm not ok with a player that is leaving a program so he won't be held accountable for his actions. He's been suspended twice, once for a positive drug test. Do you really think he's given that up in four months?

He's undisciplined and that's the last thing the Rebels need. I'd take a pass

Last edited:
With the current roster there is zero reason to look for anybody with this type of track record.

I agree.. Not worth the risk. Was hoping Rice learned that lesson. One player can ruin team chemistry. Need players that are fully committed to the system and coaching staff. No more Jones and Wood that think they are above the team, don't follow the system, and disrespect the coaching staff.

I agree.. Not worth the risk. Was hoping Rice learned that lesson. One player can ruin team chemistry. Need players that are fully committed to the system and coaching staff. No more Jones and Wood that think they are above the team, don't follow the system, and disrespect the coaching staff.

This whole post seems like an over reaction. I don't pretend to know Obekpa or what kind of kid he is, but I suspect you don't either. To assume he'd be a chemistry killer is probably shortsighted.

I can't even find a story online detailing the catastrophic offense he committed as a Sophomore. It cost him two whole preseason games, so I'm sure it was awful... Any idea what that was?

Failing the pot test was dumb, but certainly not the sort of offense that busts up team chemistry. It's bad form and a bad decision, but doesn't make him a bad kid.

Debate if he can help on the court all you want, but try to be careful you don't judge a book by its cover when it comes to character. Unless you know something about him I don't. If so, please enlighten me.

Given up what? Pot?

Not necessarily just pot, but making selfish bad decisions that cost the team. He decided to leave his team because he didn't like the discipline Mullin was bringing in. UNLV doesn't need another player that doesn't want to be held accountable.

There are a lot of examples of players that didn't flourish at UNLV, but you also have players at UNLV like Khem Birch who did great.

Not necessarily just pot, but making selfish bad decisions that cost the team. He decided to leave his team because he didn't like the discipline Mullin was bringing in. UNLV doesn't need another player that doesn't want to be held accountable.

Com'on. He didn't want to play for the the new coach so he left. In 2015 that's not exactly uncommon. And you have no idea why he didn't want to play for Mullin. Just because some StJohns reporter said it was because he didn't want Mullin's "discipline" doesn't make it so. Maybe the kid just thought Mullin was an A-hole? Would that be so bad? It's my understanding Chris Mullin can be an Ahole, FYI.

My only point was this: try to judge the player and leave the character assessments to people who actually know somethng about the kid. Failing one embarrassing pot test and then not wanting to play for Chris Mullin doesn't make him a terrible young man. I need to hear a lot more negative before I'd close the door on a guy who projects as a MW DPOY, solely on basis of character concerns.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The basis of the reset before last season was that the program was going to built on HS recruits - so why are the Rebels going after as many transfers as possible this year? The reset was sold as a couple of transfers sprinkled onto the roster,m but that the core playing time would be focused on high school recruits. So this year you have a SOLID class of sophomores HS recruits, as about half the team, and the other (almost) half as transfers vying for PT. So people are skeptical of too many transfers on the team and how that may effect team chemistry.Transfers have lead directly to disharmony on the floor and in the locker room on a few Rebel teams recently.

I think my biggest beef is - statements were made by those leading the program and 12-months later those statements are now being ignored.

The basis of the reset before last season was that the program was going to built on HS recruits - so why are the Rebels going after as many transfers as possible this year? The reset was sold as a couple of transfers sprinkled onto the roster,m but that the core playing time would be focused on high school recruits. So this year you have a SOLID class of sophomores HS recruits, as about half the team, and the other (almost) half as transfers vying for PT. So people are skeptical of too many transfers on the team and how that may effect team chemistry.Transfers have lead directly to disharmony on the floor and in the locker room on a few Rebel teams recently.

I think my biggest beef is - statements were made by those leading the program and 12-months later those statements are now being ignored.
Those freshman from last year returned (4), UNLV added more freshman (3) and one more is a longest tenured Rebel from HS. Then there are some transfers.
So, you took the movement to taking HS kids to mean NO MORE TRANSFERS? If so, that's incredibly shortsighted and foolish considering 30-40% of the recruiting pool is transfer based nowadays.

I like keeping the xfer numbers down as much as possible, but they are going to be a few, especially when you have kids leaving holes by either transferring out, going to the NBA legitimately - or the one that leaves the biggest gap - kids heading to the NBA too early. That's impactful talent that should have remained at least another year.

There will always be transfers this day and age of basketball. I'm not adverse to bringing in transfers as you will usually know what you're getting when they come in to the program. If it's a 1-2 year eligibility situation, it's almost perfect to fill a hole in the roster, give good hustle minutes in games, or improve upon their bad situation elsewhere and fold them into the group. The 'gotta get mine' attitude is the opposite which we've seen, but we've also seen team players come in and do very well.

Reactions: Mjs_702
Good grief read my post.- I never sad nor did Coach Rice say no more transfers. CDR sold the reset as transfers would be " sprinkled in" to the roster - now a year later the Rebels have 3 transfers (and looking for more) vying for PT. I wouldn't describe that as sprinkled in.
Forget what I think what do the returning players think about a roster 10-11 deep and the coach continues to recruit transfers deep into the summer.

Last edited:
Good grief read my post.- I never sad nor did Coach Rice say no more transfers. CDR sold the reset as transfers would be " sprinkled in" to the roster - now a year later the Rebels have 3 transfers (and looking for more) vying for PT. I wouldn't describe that as sprinkled in.
Forget what I think what do the returning players think about a roster 10-11 deep and the coach continues to recruit transfers deep into the summer.
Why would the current players care all that much about recruiting a player that's going to have to sit out the first year???????

Reactions: Mjs_702
My bad I did not realize he had to sit a year - DUH. After the last few seasons (including last year) I hyper sensitive about transfers. And on the other side of that very positive about last years returning players. Apologies for my ignorant post.

My bad I did not realize he had to sit a year - DUH. After the last few seasons (including last year) I hyper sensitive about transfers. And on the other side of that very positive about last years returning players. Apologies for my ignorant post.
No prob.

But if/when Zimm goes pro, if Goodluck gets (faulty) Wood notions/advice.... A center xfer might be the way to go. Have to protect against possible scenarios...

I seem to remember a few names in our past who turned out to be great Rebels, and they were transfers. Larry Johnson, Greg Anthony, Kevin Kruger, etc. I can't fault a coaches decision to add a player, when they are striving to improve their team. The transfer market is as valuable as HS recruiting these days.

No prob.

But if/when Zimm goes pro, if Goodluck gets (faulty) Wood notions/advice.... A center xfer might be the way to go. Have to protect against possible scenarios...

Couldn't agree more. It's not about taking transfers or not, it's about the quality of the transfers we take.

Taking a player who plans to sit for a year can be a nice plan-ahead way to offset an early entry Frosh with experience. When you're landing top tier HS talent with regularity it's pretty necessary.

Side point on CO- kid wouldn't be a bad practice body to have for a year, that's for sure. Are we going to face a rim protector like that in the MW this year? Doubt many. Practice would be fun.

NC State has now backed off on offering Obekpa, just like Minnesota did.

I'm not sure if UNLV is even actively recruiting him - I've seen nothing to support that.

It would be interesting if he ended up with Savon Goodman at ASU... and I think there is a good possibility of that.

To be honest I could care less if the Rebels have no transfers or 12, Just win. I, like many fans, are exhausted with bad basketball. Finishing 7th in a terrible MW last year is a continuation of the negative trajectory of the Rebel program. I am equally impressed and saddened by the tolerance for what has happened to this program the last few seasons - the Rebels have gone from a top-30 program that annually makes the NCAAs to a low 100s program that can not get invited to the NIT and yet many still believe the program is in good shape.

Reactions: Doubleyew
To be honest I could care less if the Rebels have no transfers or 12, Just win. I, like many fans, are exhausted with bad basketball. Finishing 7th in a terrible MW last year is a continuation of the negative trajectory of the Rebel program. I am equally impressed and saddened by the tolerance for what has happened to this program the last few seasons - the Rebels have gone from a top-30 program that annually makes the NCAAs to a low 100s program that can not get invited to the NIT and yet many still believe the program is in good shape.

A top 30 program that annually makes the NCAAs? Really? Since Tark left the building the Rebels have once won their conference's regular-season title. Once. We are all entitled to our own opinion, but not our own set of facts...

Reactions: rebelluver
To be honest I could care less if the Rebels have no transfers or 12,

Yet just a few posts ago you said:

"so why are the Rebels going after as many transfers as possible this year?"

Most of the discussion came from your somewhat pointless question.

And yes, you want the rebels to win. We all do. Some of us are capable of not puking doom and gloom every thread though, so if that bothers you I'm sorry man. I think there is plenty to be excited about next year.

LOL. I am changing your handle.You said the same thing last year and the year before - go look it up. I amazed you think the program is in a good place and happy days are right the corner - can you articulate why this will be the year - and what are your expectations?

LOL. I am changing your handle.You said the same thing last year and the year before - go look it up. I amazed you think the program is in a good place and happy days are right the corner - can you articulate why this will be the year - and what are your expectations?

I can. Do I care to? Not really.

It's true, I'm an optimist Tom. You got me. And you're a wet blanket of a poster who thinks he needs to remind everyone in every thread how awful the last two years have been. Doesn't matter what the topic- in this case a thread about a potential transfer- you always go back to it.
Given the choice, id rather be me.

FWIW, I like next year's roster. That's why I'm excited. I think we'll be better at PG than in years past, and I really think the last two incoming freshmen classes have the potential to be great Rebel classes. Is that Ok with you bud?

I love the roster too. Love the sophomore class! Really think they have a ton of upside, not only that, I like their character and the way they carry themselves. Of that group last year I did not see any finger pointing or quitting. They are fun to root for. I think as usual the Rebels have a ton of talent. Good for you Bud....hahaha. I enjoy yanking your chain, bud, it brings a smile to my face. Have a good July

Chain yanking. Yep, that's a pretty good description of your activity here.

Have a good weekend. Try to see the upside in stuff. Next year's team has plenty of upside.

LOL. MJS_702 I am changing your handle.You said the same thing last year and the year before - go look it up. I amazed you think the program is in a good place and happy days are right the corner - can you articulate why this will be the year - and what are your expectations?
Stop with the name calling. Looks extremely petty to start name calling when you clearly get beat in an argument.

hahahahahaha. You guys are awesome! My apologies for the name calling - I clearly lost the argument - program is doing great - next year should be another great showing in the CDR Era. WTH am I thiinking, carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT