ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting and Fan Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelmominLV

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Oct 25, 2008
As there has been a surge in fan interest around recruiting, some behaviors surrounding recruiting have surfaced that imo, have the potential to have negative effects on our efforts. I know that some will bristle at these suggestions and think that I am being preachy. But I am going to put this out there anyway because all I want is success for this staff in their efforts.

1. Please remember that you have nothing close to the whole picture when it comes to the recruitment of any give athlete.

If you think you do, then that is a clear sign that you know even less. Recruits and their families do not even know all the circumstances of their recruitment, let alone outsiders, no matter how close.

Many kids are going to choose other schools. We aren't shooting for the small time anymore. No one is "just glad to be considered". Many times it is let out that kids chose another option, even when it was not all their idea. Every decision is on a sliding scale and it is much better for the recruit if it looks like he made the decision 100% to go another direction. Booing, jeering, and ignoring these kids at events is not only ignorant, and in some cases hurtful, it also poisons relationships that you might not be aware of. Which brings me too....

2. You have no idea how small a community the HS BB world is.

I can attest to this in my own life.

You would be shocked how close the ties are between recruits spanning cities, states, and even international boarders. You would be stunned by how much history there was, and is, between Justin, Oscar, Anthony, Carlos, Chace, B Jones and others on our team. There are close ties to several past and present recruits, most Pac-12 rosters, A lot of MWC rosters, North Carolina's roster, and a boatload of rosters all over the country.

When you sour it for one recruit you often can't even see how it ripples. Recruits that you want might be cousins, friends, or have parents that have relationships with recruits that you are booing or rooting against. Rumors and unwanted attention could not only drive away someone you were not even aware that the Staff wants, but could circle around and poison those whom we are openly pursuing.

3. Cheer for everyone when you go to a recruits game.

For one thing, if a team has a recruit, they usually have more than one. Just because you read here, or heard that the other recruits are out of the mix, doesn't mean that they are. And even if they are, doesn't mean that they will never be, or have a brother that is, or a best friend, or a coach that also coaches AAU, or has a son... see how it goes?

4. Find out and respect the preferences of the coaches.

Find out if they are all right with vocal displays during their exhibitions. Obey the norms. Respect the parents who are there to watch their kids. Don't embarrass staffs in front of college coaches, or I can guarantee the access will be restricted and the relationships in general with our school will be soured.

5. Show up en mass! Bring signs! Chant REEEEEBBBEEEEEELS!

It is all noticed and is very exciting to recruits AND their coaches. Scrub's signs at the Findlay game are still a favorite topic of conversation there. The fans at the Gorman vs Findlay exhibition created a ton of excitement on BOTH squads. Please don't think that I want to scale anything down. Let's just eliminate anything negative that could possibly be associated with UNLV.

We are on the cusp of some great things here. The best rule of thumb is probably, to quote Hippocrates: "First do no harm".

Despite what some in the Administration believe (and there are those that think we are all just in the way), we can be helpful to our staff's efforts. So far this staff has been very accommodating and have welcomed our interest and enthusiasm (to the point of defending and shielding us from some that would like us completely out of the process). Let's hold ourselves, and those around us, to behave in only ways that help their efforts and justify their faith in us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT