ADVERTISEMENT

Rebs +8.5 over Wyoming

Easy cover again. Will be like the last two games. Simple cruising.

We have a really easy schedule thru Feb - Other than the @UNM game we should be the favorite in most of our games this month. We should win every game IMO. I thinks it is possible but highly improbable. I bet we win more than half tho. I think We are better than Wyoming and Nevada - I think UNLV goes 4-3 in Feb

This conference is mediocre masquerading as a good/great conference.... the top 3/4 teams are all flawed and keep showing those flaws during games, we're 2 games back but can't beat the worse team in the league, and everyone else is flawed... It's going to somehow convince the committee that they should get 5 teams in again and then there's a good shot that all are out after first game...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
They don’t have that huge white kid that was a freshman..other than that, I don’t know what to expect.

This conference is mediocre masquerading as a good/great conference.... the top 3/4 teams are all flawed and keep showing those flaws during games, we're 2 games back but can't beat the worse team in the league, and everyone else is flawed... It's going to somehow convince the committee that they should get 5 teams in again and then there's a good shot that all are out after first game...
It is like that across the entire country. Look how many ranked teams have 5/6 losses already. Just today ranked teams that lost to unranked teams: 25th ranked TCU lost by 11; 23rd ranked Oklahoma lost by 11; 15th ranked Texas Tech lost by 3.

I called that long ago. The league is top heavy with “good teams” but nothing great, no dominant team(s). It makes for far more competitive basketball, but it’s not like you’re watching complete teams or masterpieces. Those top 5 teams are going to slice and dice each other out of a bid, and teams like us in that next 3 teams is going to win a couple against the top 5 too; like we did with UNM … I think it’s going to be a bloodfest to the title (which is fun) but they’re going to knock out one or two of these teams that are “in” right now.

But I think a lot of the country is in a similar position.

And I think that stems from the portal. One year players. Less continuity, less cohesion, less aesthetic hoops. But it has leveled the playing field a bit more in college hoops. SDSU was able to make a great run with some big time plays at the right time, but even they weren’t “great”. The Leonard team was far better, quality wise.

Great defense by unlv for 30 minutes. Terrible last 10 minutes. Offense bad most of the whole game for unlv. Kalib Boone 0 points and kaylan 0 of 4 on free throws.

I called that long ago. The league is top heavy with “good teams” but nothing great, no dominant team(s). It makes for far more competitive basketball, but it’s not like you’re watching complete teams or masterpieces. Those top 5 teams are going to slice and dice each other out of a bid, and teams like us in that next 3 teams is going to win a couple against the top 5 too; like we did with UNM … I think it’s going to be a bloodfest to the title (which is fun) but they’re going to knock out one or two of these teams that are “in” right now.

But I think a lot of the country is in a similar position.

And I think that stems from the portal. One year players. Less continuity, less cohesion, less aesthetic hoops. But it has leveled the playing field a bit more in college hoops. SDSU was able to make a great run with some big time plays at the right time, but even they weren’t “great”. The Leonard team was far better, quality wise.
I said the same thing a couple of comments above in regards to a lot of the country being in the same position. There is a lot more parity overall in basketball. In the top 25 there were only 4 teams with 2 losses and most of the others are 4-6 losses. Of those with 2 losses coming into tonight Houston lost , Utah State lost. The only 2 loss teams left are Uconn and Purdue. The days of teams finishing the season with 0-2 losses appear to be gone.

it might get real Interesting. If we Finish real strong (TOP 2)And/or we get to the mountain West conference championship game. Do they let him have another year.? I agree this is not a very good conference this year, but It would be really hard to get rid of him unless you have A home Run hire or close to it.

Money is going to have to go to football to keep things stable. I don't think there is enough for a new experienced coach this year. I think he will get one more year.

Money is going to have to go to football to keep things stable. I don't think there is enough for a new experienced coach this year. I think he will get one more year.
This will be the last year on his contract. Does he coach the year without an extension? I guess it could happen, but it doesn't happen very often. Recruiting for the following year becomes difficult when opposing coaches point out the coach doesn't even have a contract for their freshman year.

This will be the last year on his contract. Does he coach the year without an extension? I guess it could happen, but it doesn't happen very often. Recruiting for the following year becomes difficult when opposing coaches point out the coach doesn't even have a contract for their freshman year.
This is year 3 of a 5 year contract. Needing that extension at year three doesn't apply with all of the transfers these days. Even if it were his last year, the recruiting angle is not nearly as impactful anymore considering how easy it is to transfer. Especially if the unlimited transfer rule sticks ( I really hope it doesn't, and my guess that it doesn't)

This is year 3 of a 5 year contract. Needing that extension at year three doesn't apply with all of the transfers these days. Even if it were his last year, the recruiting angle is not nearly as impactful anymore considering how easy it is to transfer. Especially if the unlimited transfer rule sticks ( I really hope it doesn't, and my guess that it doesn't)
We know how much recruiting has changed with the portal but you are right, it’s also changed the stability of a coaching contract, it’s made it weaker for coaches.

Before, an incoming recruiting class could get a coach an extra year. Or a super player on the current roster could get a coach another year. Fans would always battle cry about wanting another year for those very reasons - hell, I thought it was one of the reasons Rice should have remained (liked that the incoming class was quality HS without any one or two and dones).

But it’s just not the case anymore. Kids can bolt when they snap their fingers, either an incoming recruit or a roster player. All this instability around the nucleus of the portal is nauseating to me.

Thanks. I thought he was four years.

Reactions: dcut03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT