ADVERTISEMENT

OTZ top 2 candidate to replace Prohm ISU?

I'm glad I don't care anymore. UNLV has gone the way of all the other sports teams I used to watch. UNLV was the last team I actually watched but this year did it for me + losing Zaon. Now they get a scoreboard check, if I remember.

The point would be mute. As soon as Iowa St season is over which is Sunday i think. They are out of the Big 12. The bottom 2 dont go i think. Why wait for our season to end? Which will be in about a week.

Big 12 only has ten teams so Iowa St season not done quite yet.

I would think the Iowa St message board people talking up Otz would change their tune if they are watching Wyoming destroy UNLV. I get offense can come and go, but unlv defense so much worse than last year is what really makes them look horrible.

Reactions: RunninReb1989
ISU hiring TJ and giving us the fat payout would be an absolute godsend for this program. 1.2 Million for 9-14 against division 1 teams? This guy has been an absolute failure. If he could see where the program is today when flying in the helicopter after getting hired he would have never landed at T&M. I'm sure the 6 freshmen, 4 out of which aren't even good enough to crack the rotation for a 9-14 team, and 2 that have a marginal impact, would have been game changers with a foreign trip and more practice time without covid.

As much as I have been bitching about otz and this year's team I still hope he stays. But I also won't cry if he leaves. We need some type of consistency and I have no faith that someone worth while will be hired in fact I would almost expect a menzies repeat from drf. My excitement for unlv basketball is at an all-time low right now
Why would you hope he stays? Dude, peace out if he leaves for ISU..

Stacey Augmon for coach. Make it right, I would love to see Angry Stacey Augmon on the sidelines.

If we are going to get rid of coaches every 1-2 years, then maybe it is time to save money and get rid of the athletic department?
We need to go after a top recruiter. Someone with no experience as a HC would probably need to prove themselves over a longer period.

Why not make it right and give the keys to Augmon. He is Mr. Rebel. He’s been an assistant forever in the pros. He’s got recruiting experience. Just what if the athletic department made it right and If he sucks we can let him go.

by then, UNLV will be competing with the NBA when they bring a pro team in town.

I would give my right nut if lightning struck twice and we gave the keys to Brad Stevens or Rick Pitino.

Maybe we can get Eric Musselman? 🤣

Seriously though, it would be a strange move and I'm not convinced TJO would leave unless he feels this program is dead in the water.
Bro, this program IS dead in the water.

If we are going to get rid of coaches every 1-2 years, then maybe it is time to save money and get rid of the athletic department?

Nobody is happy with how this year went but I don’t think anyone is talking about us getting rid of Otz right now. The issue is what to do if Iowa State is offering him more money. Should UNLV match the money? Should we give him extra years on his contract? That’s way too risky/stupid right now. We have to let him walk. I sure as hell don’t want to start over again with another rebuild with another young unproven DRF coach but what choice do we have. We take the 3 million dollar check from ISU and hope for the best.

Why would you hope he stays? Dude, peace out if he leaves for ISU..

Do you have any faith in DRF hiring the right coach? If he heads to iowa st well dont let the door hit you on your way out. but otherwise yes I think he should stay. I dont want the assistsant coach from Holy Cross University or the like taking over at UNLV. Yes this year sucks and I am frustrated as hell but no matter what happens I will always be a Rebel fan and change a coach after two seasons and you will never have any shot at a semi decent coach let alone a good coach. Keep doing that and the next thing you know we will be SanJose St's Bitches.

For what we pay you can lure over a hundred existing coaches. Some good - many not so much. We can't get anyone currently or recently in the top 50 but below that we can get many coaches. A lot of those are currently making @ 1/8 of TJ's bloated contract and are more successful.

For example ( and I mean this just as an example - not a suggestion) TJ makes @ $ 1.2 mil. while Shantay Legans at Eastern Washington makes $140,000. As I write this KenPom has us rated at 171 and Eastern Washington is 122. Legans is in his 4th year and never been lower that 3rd in his conference ( Big Sky). Legans goes out of his way to play a tough OOC conference. Eastern Washington is in a relatively barren area hundreds of miles from the nearest large city. His facilities are adequate, but nothing like UNLV.

You can do the same as this for perhaps 30 current coaches at smaller conferences.

Maybe we can get Eric Musselman? 🤣

Seriously though, it would be a strange move and I'm not convinced TJO would leave unless he feels this program is dead in the water.
Wonder if he has in it in his contract if he wins certain amount of tournament wins, that he is mandated to take off his shirt.

Do you have any faith in DRF hiring the right coach? If he heads to iowa st well dont let the door hit you on your way out. but otherwise yes I think he should stay. I dont want the assistsant coach from Holy Cross University or the like taking over at UNLV. Yes this year sucks and I am frustrated as hell but no matter what happens I will always be a Rebel fan and change a coach after two seasons and you will never have any shot at a semi decent coach let alone a good coach. Keep doing that and the next thing you know we will be SanJose St's Bitches.
If she doesn’t get Rick Pitino...twice, she doesn’t deserve the job.

It will be fun for Pitino to tell us AGAIN how down the talent level is here . Way down. LOL
We need to sweeten the pot this time. Little Richard is about to be fired by Minnesota. Tell Rick he can bring his son with him and after we reach a Sweet-16 Richard will be named the Head-Coach-In-Waiting.

We need to sweeten the pot this time. Little Richard is about to be fired by Minnesota. Tell Rick he can bring his son with him and after we reach a Sweet-16 Richard will be named the Head-Coach-In-Waiting.
Does the $8 million donation to Rebel basketball have any impact on picking the next coach or is it limited to day to day operations?

Scrolling down this Iowa State forum thread it is amazing the number of posters who think TJ will get the job.

Scrolling down this Iowa State forum thread it is amazing the number of posters who think TJ will get the job.
Joe is that wishful thinking ? or do u know something we dont?

Wow, I only went a couples pages deep, but about 90% of them said they think Otz gets it.

I will wait and see till tomorrow and wait for the bounce to come back in the legs of the Rebels. If no inspired play, I would have to agree that Otz is gone. His assistant coaches have been doing a lot more huddle coaching on the sidelines. Players are not immune to this board but the major problem is still lack of fannies in the seats. If O leaves, I wish him at least three years, because he will never beat Baylor, WV, OKS, TT in less than that time. The recruits have already committed for next year and all the free red shirts floating around would be the pool. The same pool a new coach would have here. Good luck with that.

Todd Simon has done a pretty good job pulling SUU's face out of the 💩 pile. I'd like to see him get some consideration if TJO actually leaves.

Really? Not really that hard to do with a competent coach. SUU was pretty decent during the 2000s. Why are people so attached to this guy? Do we really want to take the risk on a Big Sky coach who was barely above 500 before beating up on minnows this season??? No wonder this program is in the dump.

Todd Simon has done a pretty good job pulling SUU's face out of the 💩 pile. I'd like to see him get some consideration if TJO actually leaves.
Well he did no better than Rice did after Rice was let go. I think he is a decent coach at the minimum. We need a impact hire. Either a older EX-TOP HC like John_Beilein or a TOP recruiter like Payne or Miller. We go after a mid major HC and its a crap shoot. Even if he wins he will be gone. U go with a Beilein and this would be his last stop. As for Payne and Miller they would rebuild us quickly IMO and we would be on the ground running IF they left.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
Can we afford him? Even with a $3 mill buyout?
I remember when we had our last head coaching search they were saying the budget for a coach was max 1.8 million per year, any higher than that would only be possible if there was heavy involvement from the boosters.

Can we afford him? Even with a $3 mill buyout?
I think our athletic director really doesn't want to go above that number cause she would then have the boosters having more say in the program. I really think if Otz leaves we need to make a big hire and pay bigger money! We can't keep being cheap and hoping it will pan out! I remember a few years back I heard on the radio a host saying he had spoke to a big booster of UNLV and ask if all this talk of bringing in a big name coach like Pitino or the like how would UNLV be able to pay 3-4 million per year, he said if you can get a name coach like that the money will be there, believe me! He said money would not be an issue if the administration could get the commitment from a coach like that. The guy then said that Pitino was making 5 mill at the time and that he would want at least the same to come here, the guy said for Pitino the money would be there, no problem! That's what drives me nuts being a UNLV diehard fan, we could have the big name coach and have the program rolling again but the administration just doesn't want the big boosters to be heavily involved like they use too!

Reactions: LuvMeSomeRebs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT