ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lake Mead

So whatever happened with the little pacific project that was supposed to be a permanent solution to this? Did it get side benched or is it still being considered?

The kids just called it, hot spring. It wasn't hot by any mean.

Hell, I’m not jumping in any springs out here, hot or warm ….

Naegleria Fowleri isn’t found until after death, brain biopsy. But you don’t need to wait all that long for death either. Just a couple of days for it to it eat your brain. Nasty ass parasite/amoeba.

I think one person in the US survived it. Because it was recognized as the causative agent very early on and heavy treatment started.

I think I’d rather have Ebola than Naegleria.

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000
I did learn about it from the media, though.
I learned about it from non-mainstream media. They always seem to tell a more accurate story than what the main "media" outlets tell.

I'm curious, too, why the mainstream media isn't telling us to consume less avocados and almonds during this drought. This is a rhetorical question.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
i use to cliff jump off of this around the same time. Now its completely gone!

Actually, Bc, that is how I found out. Media reports. Yes, with Covid, the Ukraine War, shootings, election interference, etc has dominated the news.
News is out there. Most folks just don't have time to get past the "major" stories.

Full disclosure. I am old, retired, and concerned. So. I see dozens of news sources daily. Conservative, Liberal, whatever.
Most folks are busy earning a living and raising families.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
They don't talk about it because the only solutions are way out there. We are using water well within our allotment but Cali. is using it like the entire state is a water park. Arizona is working hard on saving water.

IMO, the best solution is a pipeline from the Missouri River somewhere around the South Dakota/Nebraska border to the Colorado directly or the Green River which flows into Lake Powell. Take water during the two high water months in the spring and fill Powell and Mead. The pipeline would be only slightly longer than the Alaska oil pipeline and would be put through much more hospitable land.

Pipeline could be done in 4 years but the lawsuits would take 40.

Hell, I’m not jumping in any springs out here, hot or warm ….

Naegleria Fowleri isn’t found until after death, brain biopsy. But you don’t need to wait all that long for death either. Just a couple of days for it to it eat your brain. Nasty ass parasite/amoeba.

I think one person in the US survived it. Because it was recognized as the causative agent very early on and heavy treatment started.

I think I’d rather have Ebola than Naegleria.
It is a boogeyman, thing..Joe. Somebody took a shit by the pool and they shut it down. It is nothing like that.

It is a boogeyman, thing..Joe. Somebody took a shit by the pool and they shut it down. It is nothing like that.
I don’t believe we have had any recent cases of Naegleria in Clark County, it’s absolutely real. I know there are some warm springs off the Colorado that are/were marked for no swimming …

But the county has had cases before and they never end well. Thing is, it has to go up your nose … mouth won’t do it, cuts won’t do it. And it’s not contagious. It’s nasty dude.

Even that, I am not so sure if somebody really took a dump or not? The access was West side of Boulder Highway heading toward Laughlin. The moment the kids discovered it, they anxiously want to shut it down for any reason at all.

I don’t believe we have had any recent cases of Naegleria in Clark County, it’s absolutely real. I know there are some warm springs off the Colorado that are/were marked for no swimming …

But the county has had cases before and they never end well. Thing is, it has to go up your nose … mouth won’t do it, cuts won’t do it. And it’s not contagious. It’s nasty dude.
I dont know about Colorado but I know this case. They were jumping around finding ways to shut it down. They even announce it while we were in class. They said "EColi Outbreak".

We all knew that Vegas valley is once under the ocean. The sandy soil is and the fossils remain found throughout the valley depicts that history. Volcanic eruptions is not uncommon.

I dont know about Colorado but I know this case. They were jumping around finding ways to shut it down. They even announce it while we were in class. They said "EColi Outbreak".
Yeah, that’s probably a different E Coli than you are thinking. there’s the one everyone knows, E Coli the bacteria, the Jack in the Box meat one, that can kill you (E Coli 0157:H7).

For warm water, they are probably talking Entamoeba Coli (still E. coli) which is usually harmless, but can cause red cell destruction and gastric issues, bloody stools. I suspect that might be what they were talking about? Though it could be the bacteria, as well.

Yeah, that’s probably a different E Coli than you are thinking. there’s the one everyone knows, E Coli the bacteria, the Jack in the Box meat one, that can kill you (E Coli 0157:H7).

For warm water, they are probably talking Entamoeba Coli (still E. coli) which is usually harmless, but can cause red cell destruction and gastric issues, bloody stools. I suspect that might be what they were talking about? Though it could be the bacteria, as well.
Even though it’s gross, I loved parasitology (parashitology). Extracting things out of a turd isn’t pleasant (use a damn fume hood), but finding the bizarre critters is cool, even cooler when you can identify them. Worms, parasites, eggs, cysts, trophozoites).

As a young teen, a family friend, couple years older than myself, became a paraplegic with those cliffs. It’s a dangerous lake.
the only reason I jumped because there were girls diving off it. they were drunk and high out of their mind but I said f*** that. if they can dive I can jump. a boat drove by and said the water was only like 10 to 12 feet deep. didn't go back after that

Reactions: RebelScrub
the only reason I jumped because there were girls diving off it. they were drunk and high out of their mind but I said f*** that. if they can dive I can jump. a voter drove bias and said the water was only like 10 to 12 feet deep. didn't go back after that
it was easy at 50 foot drop

it was easy at 50 foot drop
I didn't do it for the girls. I wish it was higher and more dangerous at the time. I lives in Oahu for a while and there were some serious cliff divers there but I dove it all....Yes, the girls kinda come with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT