ADVERTISEMENT

next season's core

The MW does not have a lot of intimidating bigs. Ike is really the only one and is a 4.

Cottrell has good length and will be fine guarding most bigs in this league. He also has not been playing 100% healthy basketball since his first 10 games of his freshmen year. Coming off a Achilles repair takes an extra year to get right typically.

That being said he has another injury that kept him out to recover from. So that will be interesting to see.

I keep forgetting about LuRod too. If fully healthy he is a great option as a possible 3.
My thing is that Cottrell hasnt been healthy in a long time and so I cant rely on him. Maybe that changes, but I still think we need a true center.

Would you rather have LuRod or Nowell start at the 3?

Ideally you play Cottrell at the 4 and bring in a true center. Would greatly improve our rebounding. And Cottrell is a threat to step outside and knock down shots.

My thing is that Cottrell hasnt been healthy in a long time and so I cant rely on him. Maybe that changes, but I still think we need a true center.

Why not play Nowell at the 2 and LuRod at the 3. Nowell is a good passer and they’re both willing rebounders. I’m fine with hicks coming off the bench at the 2 especially early in the season.

Let's look at the teams in the NCAA's. How many have a real center? Arizona, Duke, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Nevada,UCLA, USU, if my memory is ok, Big East has no one playing the 5 but maybe U Conn. I know they have a banger who is a NBA prospect. Duke might have best freshman in the country playing the 5 as UCLA and Arizona also are dominating in the Pac12. Timme sets the standard for foot work and Purdue's center at 7'4" wrap it up. WKU also has a 7' plus center. There may be more but the days of a post up center are almost behind us.
I agree that the days of a post up center are mostly behind us, but a lot of teams have a true center that can at least clog the lane on defense and are bigger threats on offense than Muoka, even if its just lobs or cleaning up on offensive rebounds. Muoka looks devastating in warmups but put him in a real game and he cant catch anything. He had to have missed at least 20 alley oops this year.

Some teams that you didnt mention that have a reliable and true Center include Bediako on Bama, Kalbrenner on Creighton, FAU, Providence, Miami, Texas, and Saint Marys. This is just off the top of my head. Maybe I'm just sick of Muoka and his lack of production but seeing him look so lost pissed me off.

Why not play Nowell at the 2 and LuRod at the 3. Nowell is a good passer and they’re both willing rebounders. I’m fine with hicks coming off the bench at the 2 especially early in the season.
I'm okay with this but I would like a scorer at the 2. If our PG can really score, I'm okay with this lineup but preferably, I'd like a bonafide scorer at the 2

Reactions: LVRebel2000
This is a big summer for Nowell. The summer going into his freshman year he was stuck on a stacked Arizona roster. This past summer he transferred in late. He needs to make a jump this summer in terms of scoring.

I agree that the days of a post up center are mostly behind us, but a lot of teams have a true center that can at least clog the lane on defense and are bigger threats on offense than Muoka, even if its just lobs or cleaning up on offensive rebounds. Muoka looks devastating in warmups but put him in a real game and he cant catch anything. He had to have missed at least 20 alley oops this year.

Some teams that you didnt mention that have a reliable and true Center include Bediako on Bama, Kalbrenner on Creighton, FAU, Providence, Miami, Texas, and Saint Marys. This is just off the top of my head. Maybe I'm just sick of Muoka and his lack of production but seeing him look so lost pissed me off.
Kansas plays a mix of 3 big guys, 2 are sized like true centers and KJ Adams is undersized for a Big 12 5, but hes athletic and talented. Any of the 3 body types that can produce or clog up the lane would do wonders for our ability to guard 1 v 1 or take risks on the outside. Muoka just isnt going to make that jump. Iwuakur isnt a true 5 and you just cant depend on someone averaging 2ppg and 3 rebounds thats a starter....

That's a fair enough point. The fact he went from ready to go, back to non weight bearing in a boot and out for the season was not a great thing. I feel bad for the dude.

So yes difficult to count on.

But I do think Hall could be the answer as a scoring 4. If healthy I think I like Cottrell better even if Hall has bigger repertoire of offensive moves. Due to his length and experience.

As for LuRod vs Nowell, I think Nowell has a higher ceiling, but LuRod may be the better overall player right now.

Both are pretty good spot up 3 point shooters. Nowell may have more offensive game, Rodriguez more on defense.

I would prefer a 2 to have more ability to drive off the bounce. I like Gilbert in that role. Also one of the 2 main gaurds need to be able to defend ball dominate gaurds. I'm not sure if LuRod or Nowell can do that on a consistent basis.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
At WV, Cottrell averaged 16 min a game and played 32 games. ( Very Close to what Muoka and Iwuakor played this year) He shot 34% overall and 32% from three. The percentages tell me he shot most all his shots from outside. Muoka averages 51% and Iwuakor averages 61%. Percentages closer to an inside player.

Rebounding and blocks both favor Iwuakor and Muoka.

All shoot FT the same - between 55%-60%.

We are not going to make Cottrell a center or a power anything. His game is to set picks, shoot open outside shots and occasionally drive for a bucket if there is an open lane.

Can’t imagine the Utah basketball POY choosing UNLV over Utah, BYU, or USU. think he is a Mo and will do a mission as well. Love his size and can light it up, but I don’t have my hopes up for this one. Of course I could be wrong, but I just don’t see it when he can join his buddies at BYU and play in the Big 12

Tell me why you didn’t get playing time early in the season without telling me why you didn’t get playing time early in the season.

The guy got gassed while warming up, let alone once his feet started moving. GREAT for him to lose the weight AND start to develop a work ethic in the meantime. I hope it works out for him here (if he leaves, I hope it works out for him elsewhere, too, depending on where he goes).

This isn’t information that he’s leaving or staying. I haven’t heard anything definitive yet.

Reactions: lobbybuu and RRebel
Complete speculation but I believe the longer it goes without hearing anything from him specifically not he’s leaving the more likely he is to stay. I thought he’d be in right away, it’d also be beneficial for him to enter now before a flood of tournament transfers enter.

Complete speculation but I believe the longer it goes without hearing anything from him specifically not he’s leaving the more likely he is to stay. I thought he’d be in right away, it’d also be beneficial for him to enter now before a flood of tournament transfers enter.
Agree. The longer things go without hearing the more likely it is guys stay. Unless of course KK is out there recruiting guys that will affect their ability to have consistent playing time

Agree. The longer things go without hearing the more likely it is guys stay. Unless of course KK is out there recruiting guys that will affect their ability to have consistent playing time
If KK isn't out there recruiting kids that would effect playing time at all positions then expect another season of disappointment.
There are some kids I like on this team and I hope stay but Kevin's job is to improve the team and that is going to take some major upgrade.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
If KK isn't out there recruiting kids that would effect playing time at all positions then expect another season of disappointment.
There are some kids I like on this team and I hope stay but Kevin's job is to improve the team and that is going to take some major upgrade.
This! We all have guys we have a soft spot for but there needs to be competition so we get some ”iron sharpening iron” around here. We need 3 guys who can put the ball in the hole consistently and if they push our favorite guy to the bench, then so be it. Kevin and Co. have got to get things going next year, no missing post season play and I’m not talking CBI, it’s NCAA or at least NIT. If he misses the first two tournaments again, he should get a “pink” slip!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
IMHO, CKK shouldn't recruit over Big Guard. I know this is a bold statement and things are unpredictable but he needs to start next season no matter what. Stick him at the 4 and let him work.

Of course things can change with how Key feels, but it's about taking risks and I think he can reach his full potential knowing he won't be facing direct comp for his spot. I'm not saying that he's entitled to a spot but he's a bucket getter and will only get better with improved conditioning and weight loss.

This might not be a popular opinion

That wasnt the point I was trying to make. I dont expect Hall to be a starter. But I do think its important for his and the programs development that he has opportunity to get 15-20 minutes a game, and hopefully become a starter. What I was saying about over recruiting is bringing in 2 or 3 other guards that essentially play his role and hes not given the opportunity to develop because he doesn't see a path to getting on the court as much as another program may.
There are other areas that defiantly need to be focused on and there should be someone brought in that will or should push for those starter minutes no matter what his decision is, but Id like to think we arent trying to push him out the door by burying him on the bench in the offseason.

IMHO, CKK shouldn't recruit over Big Guard. I know this is a bold statement and things are unpredictable but he needs to start next season no matter what. Stick him at the 4 and let him work.

Of course things can change with how Key feels, but it's about taking risks and I think he can reach his full potential knowing he won't be facing direct comp for his spot. I'm not saying that he's entitled to a spot but he's a bucket getter and will only get better with improved conditioning and weight loss.

Is even staying?

Every day without any news out of him makes it more likely he’s staying imo
If he stays and we lose several players to the portal he might be one of our best players as of now which is not good. Potential is there.

I agree. He’s got a very high ceiling. He could dominate this league if continues improving.

Reactions: lobbybuu

I see what you are saying but you have to be careful with making it seem like he has a spot regardless? I still think we need to improve all over the place and the 4 spot is definitely one of them. Hall needs to be better scoring the ball, defending and definitely rebounding. Think of his confidence level if he beat out a guy coming after his job!

Reactions: lobbybuu
I see what you are saying but you have to be careful with making it seem like he has a spot regardless? I still think we need to improve all over the place and the 4 spot is definitely one of them. Hall needs to be better scoring the ball, defending and definitely rebounding. Think of his confidence level if he beat out a guy coming after his job!
If Hall works to get himself into shape and improve his defense/rebounding there's no reason why he couldn't get lots of playing time covering multiple positions. I'd still love to see him inserted into the center position just for the hell of it to see what he could do against bigger but slower centers.

That core better includes Nowell, Keys (both of them) , Webster, and Iwauko

Iwauko tries hard but is not good at all. May have set a program record of most fouls on 3pt attempts.
He is good enough when healthy. We just need more players with mean ness. I thought Lu Rod would provide that. He is fighting his own thing. Parquet was absolutely invaluable then he got hurts. Harkless is hurts too, but that dude play through it.

He is good enough when healthy. We just need more players with mean ness. I thought Lu Rod would provide that. He is fighting his own thing. Parquet was absolutely invaluable then he got hurts. Harkless is hurts too, but that dude play through it.
I'm sorry what? He averaged 2ppg and 3 rebounds.. from a starter in about 50% of the games...
That's get your coach fired stats.

I'm sorry what? He averaged 2ppg and 3 rebounds.. from a starter in about 50% of the games...
That's get your coach fired stats.
Statistically, no he is not good enough. You see him play, it is a different story...He is good enough IMO.

Statistically, no he is not good enough. You see him play, it is a different story...He is good enough IMO.
I wish Muaka had his motor for sure and his physicality, but he can only give you 5-10 minutes a game because he's an offensive liability who doesnt rebound or hes in foul trouble committing terrible fouls.

Reactions: RRebel
I just saw some of Key's practice highlights and this man is a bucket. Like every combo he hit was very intentional and he has a deep bag. I can only imagine what can do with better conditioning and an offseason under his belt

Reactions: RRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT