ADVERTISEMENT

National Recruiting

Sam-I-am

UNLV Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2001
I wasn't around for the locked thread about recruiting Florida, etc, but I'd like to add some info for everyone on the subject if I may.

There are only two teams who have won more than one National Championship who truly recruit Nationally: Domers & Huskers. The Domers currently have scholie players from 32 states and the Huskers have scholie players from 40. The Huskers have had All Americans from 26 different states spanning a good chunk of the globe from NJ & FLA on the east to Hawaii on the west. Why? It's pretty obvious for the Domers with their Catholic connections around the world and, particularly, in every major recruiting pool but not so obvious for Nebraska which is much more like UNLV in many regards.

Nebraska is a small state University like UNLV in a state with about the same population. Just like UNLV, it cannot rely upon the in state prospects to fill up a large part of the roster of a Championship caliber team. It must recruit from ocean to ocean but it has the financial resources to do so. In 2013, Nebraska spent $818,000 in recruiting while UNLV spent 284,000. See full details >
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...g-signing-day-sec-power-conferences/22813887/

This year the Huskers' recruiting budget is expected to exceed $1.1 MIL while UNLV is projected to barely exceed $300,000. FWIW, Michigan recently spent more than that to just take the team down to Florida for a couple of practices at a HS where they had offered numerous recruits. Why the discrepancy in recruiting budgets? The Huskers' football revenue was around $100 MIL for 2015 while the entire Athletic Department of UNLV had revenue of just $45 MIL. This is why UNLV simply can't recruit on a nationwide scale. We can't afford it.

The answer for UNLV, just like nearly everyone else, is the "500 Mile Radius". Even the Domers and the Huskers do their best work within a 500 mile radius of their addresses. With the exception of Nebraska, I seriously doubt that any State school has won a National Title with less than half of it's players coming from within the 500 mile radius. Even the Domers fill most of their roster with recruits from their 500 mile radius. Heck, the last championship teams for Florida, LSU and Texas had all but a couple of players who weren't from in state or from a border state.

The good news is that there is a wealth of talent within the 500 mile radius of UNLV. It's FAR better than Nebraska's. Work that area hard and go grab a couple from areas where there are good cheep flights into Las Vegas for the family members to use and we can build a great program.

I wasn't around for the locked thread about recruiting Florida, etc, but I'd like to add some info for everyone on the subject if I may.

There are only two teams who have won more than one National Championship who truly recruit Nationally: Domers & Huskers. The Domers currently have scholie players from 32 states and the Huskers have scholie players from 40. The Huskers have had All Americans from 26 different states spanning a good chunk of the globe from NJ & FLA on the east to Hawaii on the west. Why? It's pretty obvious for the Domers with their Catholic connections around the world and, particularly, in every major recruiting pool but not so obvious for Nebraska which is much more like UNLV in many regards.

Nebraska is a small state University like UNLV in a state with about the same population. Just like UNLV, it cannot rely upon the in state prospects to fill up a large part of the roster of a Championship caliber team. It must recruit from ocean to ocean but it has the financial resources to do so. In 2013, Nebraska spent $818,000 in recruiting while UNLV spent 284,000. See full details >
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...g-signing-day-sec-power-conferences/22813887/

This year the Huskers' recruiting budget is expected to exceed $1.1 MIL while UNLV is projected to barely exceed $300,000. FWIW, Michigan recently spent more than that to just take the team down to Florida for a couple of practices at a HS where they had offered numerous recruits. Why the discrepancy in recruiting budgets? The Huskers' football revenue was around $100 MIL for 2015 while the entire Athletic Department of UNLV had revenue of just $45 MIL. This is why UNLV simply can't recruit on a nationwide scale. We can't afford it.

The answer for UNLV, just like nearly everyone else, is the "500 Mile Radius". Even the Domers and the Huskers do their best work within a 500 mile radius of their addresses. With the exception of Nebraska, I seriously doubt that any State school has won a National Title with less than half of it's players coming from within the 500 mile radius. Even the Domers fill most of their roster with recruits from their 500 mile radius. Heck, the last championship teams for Florida, LSU and Texas had all but a couple of players who weren't from in state or from a border state.

The good news is that there is a wealth of talent within the 500 mile radius of UNLV. It's FAR better than Nebraska's. Work that area hard and go grab a couple from areas where there are good cheep flights into Las Vegas for the family members to use and we can build a great program.
Great post.

It looks like the numbers are from before coach Sanchez which means it is likely he has better funding now for recruiting, including use of private planes, but your point is understood.

It looks like the numbers are from before coach Sanchez which means it is likely he has better funding now for recruiting, including use of private planes, but your point is understood.
The recruiting budget, which represents money coming from the Athletic Department directly, doesn't include the value of benefits given by Donors like the Fertitta's jet to UNLV or the jets from numerous boosters for Nebraska. I should have clarified that before.

This.....

The recruiting budget, which represents money coming from the Athletic Department directly, doesn't include the value of benefits given by Donors like the Fertitta's jet to UNLV or the jets from numerous boosters for Nebraska. I should have clarified that before.
Irregardless of the private plane omission your points are excellent.

Starting to wonder if this 2 million dollar donation could lead to more.

There was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth done during the basketball coaching search. (Totally understandable all things considered). Purely speculation on my part here, but maybe there are some things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about and are actually positive.

2 million dollars isn't T-Boone Pickens money, but for UNLV its a pretty big chunk especially for football.

Starting to wonder if this 2 million dollar donation could lead to more.

There was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth done during the basketball coaching search. (Totally understandable all things considered). Purely speculation on my part here, but maybe there are some things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about and are actually positive.

2 million dollars isn't T-Boone Pickens money, but for UNLV its a pretty big chunk especially for football.

Yup.I think that you're close to pinning that down

18874010223_5472ccd77b_o.jpg

I gotta think the staff isn't flying around the country in a private jet very often. Even Notre Dames staff isn't going around the country in any of their jets. I would think it would be more for the last min close the deal type of recruiting trips right before National signing day.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I gotta think the staff isn't flying around the country in a private jet very often. Even Notre Dames staff isn't going around the country in any of their jets. I would think it would be more for the last min close the deal type of recruiting trips right before National signing day.
While we aren't using private jets very often, however, many of the top programs do. Oregon has two jets available to them at all times. On a different note but also quite expensive, USC uses choppers quite a bit. Bama, Texas and LSU own their own jets. For example >

Reactions: bcvegaspt
While we aren't using private jets very often, however, many of the top programs do. Oregon has two jets available to them at all times. On a different note but also quite expensive, USC uses choppers quite a bit. Bama, Texas and LSU own their own jets.

Most larger schools have private jets to use, but they generally arn't used all that much by coaches. It is very expensive to use it every time they check up on a recruit. You will normally see the coaches using it during high school football season so they can show up to 1 or 2 games a night. Notre Dame also using a chopper sometimes to show up for the in-home visit to impress whatever recruit.

What a relief from the Conf. board today! Jeez land a recruit (Jovan Mooring) and the thread can still end depressing as Hell. This Board's my breath of fresh air. Great posts by the way, kudos to S.

You think its bad now, wait till I start the-

OT: POLITICS/ELECTION thread.

That is sure to be filled with civil discussion.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I wouldn't conjure up that evil...
I would ban you and Cleveland State if you started that thread.

Imagine starting that thread on the Tark board. Those hot heads would start name calling by the second post. Then they'd complain I'm limiting their freedom of speech.

What's funny is that some of the "I want four year guys" are the ones trashing Javon. Maybe they want four year five star recruits (non-existent in today's basketball player).

Reactions: RebelinWA
I don't care about agreement. I just want to read threads that are informative without having to drag myself out of the toilet afterwards. I can see fans being disappointed or outright angry after what happened, I really do, but I've been going to Rebel games for 55 years been joyful and angry. But to still be seeing Dave Rice threads, come on and being so negative about recruits and recruiting before the product is even is even on the floor, that' s like being disappointed about a steak before you even taste it.

I gave up my conf membership for that very reason. Not because I'm afraid of debate, but because I was so thoroughly disgusted with what has transpired that I don't want to burden you all with my hate filled posts. Just because I'm apathetic doesn't mean you all have to read it.

But, back to football....... I'm mildly excited for that 5-7 season!

I gave up my conf membership for that very reason. Not because I'm afraid of debate, but because I was so thoroughly disgusted with what has transpired that I don't want to burden you all with my hate filled posts. Just because I'm apathetic doesn't mean you all have to read it.

Baby steps.

Appreciate you sparing us. Wished others had such restraint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT