ADVERTISEMENT

MWC / OSU & WSU Realignment News

Meister_Rebel

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 6, 2020
This is a good article. Some discussions on possible scheduling alliance. It would make sense as long as we can get some commitment for the long term. However, it's still up in the air until the Pac-2 get control of the conference which a court hearing will be happening in the next 3 weeks.

This is a good article. Some discussions on possible scheduling alliance. It would make sense as long as we can get some commitment for the long term. However, it's still up in the air until the Pac-2 get control of the conference which a court hearing will be happening in the next 3 weeks.

I doubt they would be in position to give a long term commitment. At the moment, I would think that they're still hoping to join the Big 12. With the instability in the ACC, it's looking like the main power schools from the ACC will jump to either the SEC or Big 10. Once that happens, it's likely that the Big 12 will try to poach more ACC schools to get up to 22 or 24 teams. That may include adding in Oregon State and Washington State, depending on what they all decide to do.

So in terms of commitment, I could maybe see them agreeing to a buyout if they bail on the scheduling partnership, as they'd get much more money by joining the Big 12 even if it cost them some money in the short term.

Last edited:

This must be resolved before the 14th of November (next court date). Wazzo and Oregon State can't do anything until they are in control of the Pac 12 brand.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
This must be resolved before the 14th of November (next court date). Wazzo and Oregon State can't do anything until they are in control of the Pac 12 brand.
I suppose it's possible to still have some type of scheduling arrangement without them obtaining control of the Pac-12. I just don't see any formal long term commitment to each other without their control.

Even if it is with all sports including basketball I would think we could still have some formula for distributing units equally for the term of the alliance.

Where it would get interesting is to see what we can get from our media partners. A few more million wouldn't hurt.

I doubt they would be in position to give a long term commitment. At the moment, I would think that they're still hoping to join the Big 12. With the instability in the ACC, it's looking like the main power schools from the ACC will jump to either the SEC or Big 10. Once that happens, it's likely that the Big 12 will try to poach more ACC schools to get up to 22 or 24 teams. That may include adding in Oregon State and Washington State, depending on what they all decide to do.

So in terms of commitment, I could maybe see them agreeing to a buyout if they bail on the scheduling partnership, as they'd get much more money by joining the Big 12 even if it cost them some money in the short term.
If we get a few more football wins under our belt then maybe the B12 could take a look at us. Las Vegas > Corvallis > Pullman. Just saying.

If we get a few more football wins under our belt then maybe the B12 could take a look at us. Las Vegas > Corvallis > Pullman. Just saying.
I definitely agree that LV is better than those places, but unfortunately, their sports resumes are definitely better than ours. Now, if football keeps progressing quickly, and basketball gets back to the success of the Lon Kruger years, we could make up a lot of ground in a short amount of time.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ACC currently has 14 schools, so losing those 8 would bring them down to just 6 schools. My guess that those remaining schools would try to nab some of the better schools from the AAC like Tulane, Memphis, USF, etc, but who knows. Their auto bid for bowl games would certainly be in jeopardy after that big exodus also, similar to the PAC 12

ACC currently has 14 schools, so losing those 8 would bring them down to just 6 schools. My guess that those remaining schools would try to nab some of the better schools from the AAC like Tulane, Memphis, USF, etc, but who knows. Their auto bid for bowl games would certainly be in jeopardy after that big exodus also, similar to the PAC 12
Maybe a threesome. Pac-2, MWC, ACC. These are some crazy times we live in.

It would cover a huge territory, but that could actually work. Have an East and a West (or maybe even 3 regional) groups. Some would have to travel more than others, but that's not a bad idea. Of course, it's possible in this scenario that the remaining Pac 2 teams join the Big 12 still, so there's that angle to consider as well. Who knows at this point?

Last edited:
It's funny, 2 decades of bashing Thompson and his legacy looks better than we could have expected. MWC wasn't gonna be able to compete to keep Utah or TCU. BYU, I'd assume, was offered less than they thought they were worth and bolted.

His biggest fault is probably TV related. That or not expanding. But remember that his conference was formed on the backs of teams who left a conference that expanded too fast and too much. ... and many of those teams were the ones available when MWC could have expanded.

Personally I think getting the conference on its current TV platform is among the worst things he did. Nearly impossible to create new fans (or generate votes for your deserving teams) when you have to work so hard to find games.

Anyway, conference exists. More than some other conferences can say!

That's what I was thinking the MWC, add OSU/WSU, Cal/Stanford join them and add an east coast division for remaining ACC teams. With that maybe they could get some AAC teams to balance it out. A league like that would be enough to get an auto bid. Hopefully the MWC is being aggressive and not just waiting for things to play out even if ultimately a plan like this doesn't work pursue all avenues.

Don’t invite these guys. They do absolutely nothing for us.
Did you see how many WSU fans are at the Arizona State game in Tempe? But yeah, we would do nothing for you. No WSU fans would come to Vegas for a game.

And to the other post - the ACC angle is ridiculous. As it was for Stanford and Cal. No ACC team wants to join a PacWest. IMHO

No offense, but we don't want to be a second home for visiting fan bases.. The Raider fans on here already experience that and we'd much rather have local attendees rather than 20k traveling fans

No offense, but we don't want to be a second home for visiting fan bases.. The Raider fans on here already experience that and we'd much rather have local attendees rather than 20k traveling fans
You become a second home for visiting fans and use the revenue to improve the program and increase local attendance. Also, improve your marketing.

You aren't serious. You have a (more than?) half empty stadium. Visiting fans buy tickets, concessions, other meals, fill hotel rooms, and I suppose gamble. UNLV wins, the city wins.

For a city that basically lives on and breathes visitor money, your perspective is rather strange.

You aren't serious. You have a (more than?) half empty stadium. Visiting fans buy tickets, concessions, other meals, fill hotel rooms, and I suppose gamble. UNLV wins, the city wins.

For a city that basically lives on and breathes visitor money, your perspective is rather strange.
No My perspective isn't short term. How would you feel if 20 thousand Boise fans showed up to your stadium and that's all you looked forward to... I don't aspire to having a mediocre football program that's dependent on visitors to fill the stadium. Yeah in the next couple years, that's the reality, but long term, I don't care if WSU fans travel, I care that the program gets to a point where the city supports the program and 40,000+ UNLV fans are screaming and yelling...

Reactions: dcut03 and 220reb
No My perspective isn't short term. How would you feel if 20 thousand Boise fans showed up to your stadium and that's all you looked forward to... I don't aspire to having a mediocre football program that's dependent on visitors to fill the stadium. Yeah in the next couple years, that's the reality, but long term, I don't care if WSU fans travel, I care that the program gets to a point where the city supports the program and 40,000+ UNLV fans are screaming and yelling...
Watching your game. Fresno is tough, esp. at home. They kicked WSU's ass in last year's bowl game.

To your post - we have a small stadium and so the visiting team allotment is like 3,000 seats or something. Although when OSU, UO and uw come to town somehow they get quite a few more fans than that. The rest of the PAC doesn't bring shit.

When you get your 40,000 screaming Rebels in Allegiant, that still will leave 25,000 seats to fill.

And my Cougs lost to ASU by 11. 4th loss in a row.

Peace.

Watching your game. Fresno is tough, esp. at home. They kicked WSU's ass in last year's bowl game.

To your post - we have a small stadium and so the visiting team allotment is like 3,000 seats or something. Although when OSU, UO and uw come to town somehow they get quite a few more fans than that. The rest of the PAC doesn't bring shit.

When you get your 40,000 screaming Rebels in Allegiant, that still will leave 25,000 seats to fill.

And my Cougs lost to ASU by 11. 4th loss in a row.

Peace.
If we ever got 40000 that leaves only the very top 2 levels above the box seats. I don't believe that would be very noticeable on TV or in person. But I'd be stunned if we ever got 40000 a game without 15000 opposing fans.

If we ever got 40000 that leaves only the very top 2 levels above the box seats. I don't believe that would be very noticeable on TV or in person. But I'd be stunned if we ever got 40000 a game without 15000 opposing fans.
I think we can get to 30k of mostly home fans. If we keep going the way we are going.

Las Vegas loves a winner. If UNLV can play at the level BSU did when at their peak, I believe they could easily get 40K plus per game considering in the past they have been near 25-30K per game, with less than a million people living in the valley, compared to close to 3 million now.

Las Vegas loves a winner. If UNLV can play at the level BSU did when at their peak, I believe they could easily get 40K plus per game considering in the past they have been near 25-30K per game, with less than a million people living in the valley, compared to close to 3 million now.
Absolutely. If we are a perennial winning team, attendance would climb significantly.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Did you see how many WSU fans are at the Arizona State game in Tempe? But yeah, we would do nothing for you. No WSU fans would come to Vegas for a game.

And to the other post - the ACC angle is ridiculous. As it was for Stanford and Cal. No ACC team wants to join a PacWest. IMHO
@RebelScrub ....is something of a troll at times.

There's no questions that Wazzu and Oregon State immediately increase the quality of the MWC football scheduling. Long term, I don't know how your athletic departments are going to handle the brutal decrease in TV revenues that come with the MWC--which is why I hope we just dissolve the MWC and reform as either the PAC or something different. Your basketball program I think will end up being sort of middle of the MWC, which is exactly where we've been for the last 10 years.

There's a big part of me that hopes that Cal and Stanford have to come crawling back after the ACC implodes in the next year or two. They tell me schadenfreude is the sign of weak moral character, but I can make exception for their hubris if the ACC breaks up before they even play game one.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
@RebelScrub ....is something of a troll at times.

There's no questions that Wazzu and Oregon State immediately increase the quality of the MWC football scheduling. Long term, I don't know how your athletic departments are going to handle the brutal decrease in TV revenues that come with the MWC--which is why I hope we just dissolve the MWC and reform as either the PAC or something different. Your basketball program I think will end up being sort of middle of the MWC, which is exactly where we've been for the last 10 years.

There's a big part of me that hopes that Cal and Stanford have to come crawling back after the ACC implodes in the next year or two. They tell me schadenfreude is the sign of weak moral character, but I can make exception for their hubris if the ACC breaks up before they even play game one.
The Cougars and the Beavers have the resources for many years but chose to be the doormats. If we incorporates them in the MWC, they will shine for a couple years and I predicts they will nestled themselves into the comfortable spots as they did within the PAC. They are coattails riders...that is their DNA. They can either join or they can f*ck off.

The Cougars and the Beavers have the resources for many years but chose to be the doormats. If we incorporates them in the MWC, they will shine for a couple years and I predicts they will nestled themselves into the comfortable spots as they did within the PAC. They are coattails riders...that is their DNA. They can either join or they can f*ck off.
Boy that is a nasty post. Doormats? Coattail riders? Where does that shit come from?

If the Mtn West has half a brain, they are working hard to dissolve and join the Pac-14.

You seem to have a burr in your butt about WSU, and maybe OSU too. Did some Coug bone your girlfriend or what?

Boy that is a nasty post. Doormats? Coattail riders? Where does that shit come from?

If the Mtn West has half a brain, they are working hard to dissolve and join the Pac-14.
Why would we want to join you dwindling conference? Our conference is profitable and sustaining.
Your as$ should be begging us to accept you. The moment you Cougars and Beavers realised that you are a leftovers, the faster you come to realise the reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Masked_rebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT