ADVERTISEMENT

Minutes predictions next season

khokhol8

National Player of the Year
May 24, 2012
I was looking at last season's stats and started wondering what this upcoming season's stats will look like by the end of the year. Last year 8 players played significant minutes. 4 of them are now gone. 2 redshirt players are now eligible and 5 new comers join the team so depth won't be near the issue as last year. Who starts? Who gets significant bench minutes.

Here are some points to remember - Nwamu was the leading scorer for Mercer last year. Carter averaged 12.7 mpg his sophomore year at Oregon. Jerome Seagears averaged 20 minutes per game at Rutgers. Jordan Cornish (one of my personal favorites) averaged 16.7 minutes per game last year and was the best 3-point shooter for the Rebels shooting 48.7% from behind the arc. Patrick McCaw led the team in steals last year with 48. Bellot-Green averaged 11.6 ppg and shot 50% from 3 but only attempted 3 per game in junior college.

This is a link to last season's final stats for UNLV
http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Oregon's 2013-2014 final stats (last season Ben Carter played)
http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=209318376

Mercer's 2014-2015 final stats (Ike Nwamu)
http://mercerbears.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/teams/mercer?view=lineup

Rutgers 2013-2014 final stats (last season Jerome Seagears Played)
http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html

My prediction for starters by the end of the season is:
Seager, McCaw, Jones, Okonoboh, Zimm.

I feel major minutes will also go to Nwamu, Carter, Morgan, Cornish

Little but consistent time will go to Cook, Bellot-Green, Poyser

What's your predictions?

IMO,

I don't think a freshman Jones is going to beat out a sophomore Morgan.

I see Seagears , McCaw, Morgan, Zimm, Okonoboh

Quality minutes from Cook (If he's healed well enough) at the point, Nwamu/Cornish at the 2/3, Jones at the 3/4. and Carter at the 4/5.

i don't know about the Jones / Morgan thing. if Jones has higher basketball IQ than Morgan then i think he can/will end up starting. Morgan showed less than zero IQ last year. if he had the ball, he was trying to score & if his man had the ball, he was hacking the *&^(% out of him. there was rarely anything else.

if Jones plays controlled basketball and doesn't try to show that he should be out there and makes an occasional pass back, i could see him getting the start.

Morgan has a year under his belt. he's tough. he works hard. hopefully he'll get it.

This year I think you are going to see a variety of lineups, because of depth. CDR will have the luxury of being able to match a lineup based on the opponent. It's going to be hard to keep Zimm out of the starting lineup. Here's mine.

Start of the season:
Seagers
McCaw
Okonoboh
Nwamu
Zimm

End of the season:
Seagers/Poyster
McCaw
Morgan
Okonoboh
Zimm

Carter
Green
Jones
are going to see a lot of minutes

Cook?
I just don't know what to expect.

Start of season (More experienced players):
Seagears
McCaw
Cornish
Nwamu
Okonoboh

End of Season:
Seagears
McCaw
Cornish
Jones
Zimm

Significant minutes (others):
Poyser
Jones

End of bench:
Carter
Bellot-Green
Cook

That's 9 players playing the majority which is pretty good. I'm high on Carter because he's pretty consistent on defense from what I've seen, but I think he'll only get spot minutes most games.

@tarkaniancourt...nm I thought the same awhile back, but I'm just not sure how he's going to fit into the rotation very much. I'm high on him, but after looking at his minutes played at Oregon, and comparing I just don't see him cracking more than 10 minutes or so a game.

Start of season (More experienced players):
Seagears
McCaw
Cornish
Nwamu
Okonoboh

End of Season:
Seagears
McCaw
Cornish
Jones
Zimm

Significant minutes (others):
Poyser
Jones

End of bench:
Carter
Bellot-Green
Cook

That's 9 players playing the majority which is pretty good. I'm high on Carter because he's pretty consistent on defense from what I've seen, but I think he'll only get spot minutes most games.

Did you overlook Morgan?

A lot of people are overlooking Morgan especially in the media, the guys over at RunRebs said they could see scenarios where he'd be the 11th man and I just can't see that happening under any circumstances.

I truly believe DM will have a solid year where he's a true do it all type of guy and will flat out help us get W's.

I didn't overlook Morgan. But what I did see is a guy very similar to Morant. Needed a lot of work. I forgot to add him to the lineup, but wouldn't make him a starter at the beginning by any means.

Compare the minutes at FGCU with Morant and Morgan. Pretty much same size. Morgan struggled against competition, same as Morant if not moreso (shot terribly). I almost with Morgan would have taken a redshirt so he could come in really prepared. He had 2 good games against SDSU and Utah St that really mattered (actually I wish he played more in that 2nd SDSU game). Gotta get some more boards this season if he's gonna play. He tends to float outside a ton, and is not a shooting threat.

He is never going to be a shooting threat IMO. He is a slasher, do everything kind of menace player on the court. I think he can succeed at that this year, if he just slows down a little.

His brain was always ahead of his body.

I'll compare Morgans vs Morants #s this year.

Do you want to compare HS tape?

Morgan was a true freshman last year. He didn't play well. He didn't blame the coaches and transfer to a less competitive environment! He is working his tail off while your on here saying " he tends to float outside the key".

You don't know what your looking at if you think Morant is a better BB player than Moragan.

Last edited:
Compare the minutes at FGCU with Morant and Morgan. Pretty much same size. Morgan struggled against competition, same as Morant if not moreso (shot terribly). I almost with Morgan would have taken a redshirt so he could come in really prepared. He had 2 good games against SDSU and Utah St that really mattered (actually I wish he played more in that 2nd SDSU game). Gotta get some more boards this season if he's gonna play. He tends to float outside a ton, and is not a shooting threat.
they're not the same size and FGCU didn't have Chris Wood clearing the defensive glass. Morgan is a 3 and Morant is a....is a....well, a project at best.

i agree, he struggled mightily. part of that was he was forced to play against grown men as a freshman and was muscled non-stop.

as far as shooting, he shot 35% from 3 last year. that's not horrible.

A lot of Morgans' problems are because he was forced to play out of position, and when he did get the ball 15+ ft out he was so excited not to be in the post he just jacked up the shot regardless if it was a good look or not.

As far as his rebounding numbers he'll never be a dominant box you out type of rebounder, he will have to get his by diving to the rim and chasing loose balls which you can't do while being under the basket against much bigger and stronger guys.

Morgan has been working extremely hard from everything I've heard and has been nothing but supportive of the fellow rebels, he has a great attitude and work ethic which is what we need on this team.

Morgan will have a decent year, much improved from last year and will flat out help us win games.

they're not the same size and FGCU didn't have Chris Wood clearing the defensive glass. Morgan is a 3 and Morant is a....is a....well, a project at best.

i agree, he struggled mightily. part of that was he was forced to play against grown men as a freshman and was muscled non-stop.

as far as shooting, he shot 35% from 3 last year. that's not horrible.

Lots of people putting words in my mouth today. I never said Morant was better than Morgan, simply they had similar performance numbers based on time played.

They are, in fact, just about the same size.
Morant - 6'9" 210
Morgan - 6'8" 205

Why won't Morgan be a dominant rebounder? He's got the athleticism and looks to have the hustle in him paired with height.

Shooting 35% from 3... Morgan shot a total of 17 3's all season, making 6. The vast majority of his shots were mid-range jumpers. AKA, the worst percentage shot in basketball. Could have had much better shot selection, but again, Freshman. I get it. More if you want to read Grimala's report card.

I don't doubt Morgan's work ethic, and if anyone wants him and the team to succeed it's me. With all that being said, I still don't see him playing much more than he did last year but has a huge ceiling for improvement.

Also, you can't get mad at guys transferring this day and age of the college game for more playing time and hoping to be able to do it for a living in the future or at least play college ball while they can. It sucks, cause I really hoped a lot of guys would have stuck around until the end, but that's the way it is right now.

Going back to the original thread I think we will see minutes for everyone and we will see a much more aggressive defense and depending on matchup success those players will get more minutes regardless of class. In my opinion Carter will get minutes because he can play both spots and he will play with a high level of energy and aggressiveness that will keep him on the floor. If this team doesn't put it together then I don't think Rice can get the job done. This is a really well put together team with a good balance of players that we really haven't seen yet IMO.

Reactions: Dloch002
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT