ADVERTISEMENT

Lobby started this…

rebel5280

Rebel Legend
Feb 26, 2006
The question Lobby asked was whose fault was it Kevin or Keylan?
I want to ask this after seeing Keshon Gilbert a few moments ago, who’s faul is it that Gilbert couldn’t be happy here, Keeshond or Kevin?

I ask this because could you imagine Gilbert and DJ Thomas as our current backcourt?!!

Reactions: UNLVbro
The question Lobby asked was whose fault was it Kevin or Keylan?
I want to ask this after seeing Keshon Gilbert a few moments ago, who’s faul is it that Gilbert couldn’t be happy here, Keeshond or Kevin?

I ask this because could you imagine Gilbert and DJ Thomas as our current backcourt?!!
Was Gilbert any good? Saw ISU on the Telly..didn’t see him play.

I remember Keshon being good as a freshman and one of our best defenders, but trying to do too much and forcing things a lot on the offensive end as a sophomore

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Gilbert is the second leading scorer, only .3% below the leader. He’s good. We tend to think our players suck here and will amount to nothing when they leave which is hilarious. Hall is also the leading scorer, rebounder, and minutes played on George Mason. He looks impressive. We are just really good at misusing our players and not having the right pieces around these players to let them thrive in their true positions.

Ding.. Ding...
Kevin can't construct a roster. He took too many chances on players that didn't align with each other and this year, somehow managed to use 2 scholarships on players that aren't eligible...
Then we've got a bunch of long 4s/5s but no shooting, and the collective defense stinks. Roster construction. Individuals with talent but don't work well together

I feel Gilbert was a combination of things. First he is not a PG. He is also no Ja Morant, which he thought he was. So he tried to do more than he was capable of. His offensive game did get significantly better, but not as good as he thought it did.
Second was the defensive scheme we ran last year. We went out and got a bunch of really good individual defensive players, but then ran a match up zone or heavily switching man. Which basically negated our biggest strength, we became predictable when the switch was coming, and guys were left wide open. We forced a lot of turnovers early, but that dropped of significantly once the season went on.
Gilbert has a lot of great qualities and could turn into a really good off guard.

Lobby starts a lot of shit and Masked come out with his Ding Ding shit. Just finish it.

Current stats for Keshon Gilbert through 5 games​

2023-24 SEASON STATS​

• PTS
    150+
  • REB
    150+
  • AST
    150+
  • FG%
  • Plays USC today in San Diego.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
blaming sides (in the game today) is just asinine- Don't hate on either player or coach on either side - hate the game - don't take sides - everybody knows the environment breeds these kind of outcomes and it happens at every single program every single year now. Its totally normal.

College basketball is practically a pro sport now with free agency

Who knows all the "WHYs" to each particular situation? Even the coaches or family members dont even know all the answers "why" players transfer. So we cant pretend to - that is silly.

Kids can use a school like Kleenex and they do. No repercussions for transferring.

Coaches can use kids as pawns. And they do. No limitations.

The sitting out a year makes kids think.

The old 5/8 rule (no more than five new players per year, no more than 8 per two years) made coaches think.

Zero loyalty, either way.

CKK misused Gilbert and this caused Gilbert to try to do too much and play outside of his strengths. Then CKK would get mad and take him out which in turn made him mad. It was a cycle throughout the season.
I’m watching Keshon Gilbert now. Iowa State has a balanced attack, so he’s not going to get a whole lot of touches. With that said, TJ Otzelberger is 1,000 times better offensively than Kevin Kruger.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
blaming sides (in the game today) is just asinine- Don't hate on either player or coach on either side - hate the game - don't take sides - everybody knows the environment breeds these kind of outcomes and it happens at every single program every single year now. Its totally normal.

College basketball is practically a pro sport now with free agency

Who knows all the "WHYs" to each particular situation? Even the coaches or family members dont even know all the answers "why" players transfer. So we cant pretend to - that is silly.
I didn’t ask you to explain the state of college athletics or recruiting? My post was about Gilbert or Kevin and I don’t remember Gilbert being a cancer to the team until the mishandling began. The coach in this equation is Kevin and he deserves a lot of blame, he can’t coach or handle players and that is his job!

The handling of the Boone twins/Keylan’s eligibility, shows the lack of judgement & decision making of CKK.. I don’t care what is said, he wasted a scholarship & likely a leading scorer on a “what if” from the NCAA.. In year 3..? Nope, the ineptitude is unreal..

I feel Gilbert was a combination of things. First he is not a PG. He is also no Ja Morant, which he thought he was. So he tried to do more than he was capable of. His offensive game did get significantly better, but not as good as he thought it did.
Second was the defensive scheme we ran last year. We went out and got a bunch of really good individual defensive players, but then ran a match up zone or heavily switching man. Which basically negated our biggest strength, we became predictable when the switch was coming, and guys were left wide open. We forced a lot of turnovers early, but that dropped of significantly once the season went on.
Gilbert has a lot of great qualities and could turn into a really good off guard.
We gave him the ball in crunch time how many times???

Super duper sophomore slump.

He got super duper exposed.

I think he would have been okay this year with DTJ running the point..

well good luck at Iowa State. Hope you break a leg.

That goes to anyone else that want to quit on us.

I’m watching Keshon Gilbert now. Iowa State has a balanced attack, so he’s not going to get a whole lot of touches. With that said, TJ Otzelberger is 1,000 times better offensively than Kevin Kruger.
Not too sure as well defensively

Nobody can argue that we were not prepared for the Southern game and Webster confirmed it, we went through the motions in practice, um who’s responsible for organizing and leading practice again?

The HC that’s who!

Reactions: mwsn7022012
Nobody can argue that we were not prepared for the Southern game and Webster confirmed it, we went through the motions in practice, um who’s responsible for organizing and leading practice again?

The HC that’s who!
While I’m not arguing for CKK as a coach right now, Webster doesn’t appear to have been ready for the season.

Using him as a PG is a travesty. Maybe that’s taken him out of his rhythm. I don’t know. But he’s not exactly lightning the world on fire this year.

While I’m not arguing for CKK as a coach right now, Webster doesn’t appear to have been ready for the season.

Using him as a PG is a travesty. Maybe that’s taken him out of his rhythm. I don’t know. But he’s not exactly lightning the world on fire this year.
I agree. Webster hasnt seemed ready at all. Hes supposed to be the senior leader and the veteran on the team, but I haven't seen him be vocal or do anything of note yet.

I didn’t ask you to explain the state of college athletics or recruiting? My post was about Gilbert or Kevin and I don’t remember Gilbert being a cancer to the team until the mishandling began. The coach in this equation is Kevin and he deserves a lot of blame, he can’t coach or handle players and that is his job!
NO shit? its NOT what you asked for lol...i could care less what you think - Im going to tell you my opinion - sorry peoples answer dont fit into the boxes neatly like you want them to. We both agree Kevin needs to go - but you are barking up the wrong tree as to "WHY" ---looking for and trying to find reasons is silly - We dont need to dig into situations and look for dirt - it is what it is - We have plenty of reason for him to be fired -we dont have to try to be a detective here on past transfers and rehash old news.

Whose choice was it to put him in that position?
He may not be playing well but I don’t blame the player for this move!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Whose choice was it to put him in that position?
He may not be playing well but I don’t blame the player for this move!
I’m not blaming him for playing point. I’d run point if given the option, too. Every player thinks that they are a great dribbler, passer and leader.

We don’t have a backup PG on the team. Nobody mention JJ since he can’t beat out Webster and doesn’t pass at all.

NO shit? its NOT what you asked for lol...i could care less what you think - Im going to tell you my opinion - sorry peoples answer dont fit into the boxes neatly like you want them to. We both agree Kevin needs to go - but you are barking up the wrong tree as to "WHY" ---looking for and trying to find reasons is silly - We dont need to dig into situations and look for dirt - it is what it is - We have plenty of reason for him to be fired -we dont have to try to be a detective here on past transfers and rehash old news.
Likewise!

We all have opinions, the digging and assumptions go with the territory, it‘s a message board!

And as it’s been mentioned, Kevin has a track record of poor coaching decisions time and time again and mishandling Gilbert was more than likely another example.

Its a discussion not court, get over it!

Likewise!

We all have opinions, the digging and assumptions go with the territory, it‘s a message board!

And as it’s been mentioned, Kevin has a track record of poor coaching decisions time and time again and mishandling Gilbert was more than likely another example.

Its a discussion not court, get over it!
"Court" of public opinion - you don't need the witch hunt to get Kruger fired. If you are trying to add fuel to the fire - again you are barking up the wrong tree blaming KK for Transfers looking back to Gilbert. You just don't know these days - so many variables now that money is openly on the table with players - its all just business - on both sides. You are holding KK accountable for expired values and morals in the game that don't exist these days - Nobody really cares if players transfer - and Nobody blames coaches accept for fans who don't quite have a grasp and understanding on how the game has MORPHED and changed. I am over this discussion-

Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyC3
"Court" of public opinion - you don't need the witch hunt to get Kruger fired. If you are trying to add fuel to the fire - again you are barking up the wrong tree blaming KK for Transfers. . You are holding KK accountable for expired values and morals in the game that don't exist these days - Nobody cares if players transfer - and Nobody blames coaches accept for silly clueless fans who don't understand how the game has MORPHED and changed. The discussion is Now Over -
We disagree!

Whose fault is it when a player is mishandled, it‘s not the player!
My opinion, Gilbert would still be here if not for the internal issues.
He was never a problem or a threat to transfer.

Witch hunt is your word not mine, don’t assume, we have never met!
Why does my opinion on this bother you so much when opinions is all most folks give around here?

Agree to disagree or drop it, you ain’t changing my mind! Lol

I’m not blaming him for playing point. I’d run point if given the option, too. Every player thinks that they are a great dribbler, passer and leader.

We don’t have a backup PG on the team. Nobody mention JJ since he can’t beat out Webster and doesn’t pass at all.
I just can't wrap my head around that. The guy is 5'11". He has to know any future in the league is as a point guard so why not go hardcore working on becoming a serviceable point guard and elevate your already slim chances? JJ should've been studying how to be a point guard 24/7 since last season ended!

We disagree!

Whose fault is it when a player is mishandled, it‘s not the player!
My opinion, Gilbert would still be here if not for the internal issues.
He was never a problem or a threat to transfer.

Witch hunt is your word not mine, don’t assume, we have never met!
Why does my opinion on this bother you so much when opinions is all most folks give around here?

Agree to disagree or drop it, you ain’t changing my mind! Lol
I take it you are old school _ you never met me - MY name is Bobby I am from Las Vegas - went to UNLV and used to hoop with the dudes back in the 88-91 years at North Gym in pick ups. Always stayed a big fan - Now I am a personal trainer in Bradenton, Florida- Im a CPT- CSCS -and a kneesovertoeguy ATG coach - I train Athletes _ primarily Blue Chip recruits who attend the local prep school. I own my own business near the school @ IMG academy - 25% of my income now comes from NIL $$$ from my clients who are still in HS or prep school. I Have a good understanding how players shop schools around and knowingly screw and lie to coaches all the time- their has been a power shift. I have a good perspective on the issue and that is why I get annoyed with your old school principles and your "argument"- i know you mean well but I just want to interject my opinion. I hope you value it. You really can not use "player transfers" as a metric to determine a coaches value. Good day

I take it you are old school _ you never met me - MY name is Bobby I am from Las Vegas - went to UNLV and used to hoop with the dudes back in the 88-91 years at North Gym in pick ups. Always stayed a big fan - Now I am a personal trainer in Bradenton, Florida- Im a CPT- CSCS -and a kneesovertoeguy ATG coach - I train Athletes _ primarily Blue Chip recruits who attend the local prep school. I own my own business near the school @ IMG academy - 25% of my income now comes from NIL $$$ from my clients who are still in HS or prep school. I Have a good understanding how players shop schools around and knowingly screw and lie to coaches all the time- there has been a power shift. I have a good perspective on the issue and that is why I get annoyed with your old school principles and your "argument"- i know you mean well but I just want to interject my opinion. I hope you value it. You really can not use "player transfers" as a metric to determine a coaches value. Good day
No I get new school too!
But we can agree to disagree on this post and of course I respect your opinion, just don’t force it down my throat! Lol

We we’re at UNLV (‘89-92) at the same time, interesting!

Reactions: rebelwithacause
I agree. Webster hasnt seemed ready at all. Hes supposed to be the senior leader and the veteran on the team, but I haven't seen him be vocal or do anything of note yet.
He’s a transfer from Hawaii..what exactly were you expecting from his limited game?

I am disappointed that neither Webster or JJ3, especially JJ3 tried to become their best PG a la Anthony Marshall this past season. We obviously had a big need there and we really have no solution once DJ goes out.
And it is crazy that we depend on true freshman to play 35+ minutes a game to run the team in any sort of an efficient way.

Last edited:
I am disappointed that neither Webster or JJ3, especially JJ3 tried to become their best PG a la Anthony Marshall this past season. We obviously had a big need there and we really have no solution once DJ goes out.
And it is crazy that we depend on true freshman to play 35+ minutes a game to run the team in aby sort of an efficient way.
I share the same sentiment.

I hate that Webster isnt aggressive at all. It looks like he's just out there for cardio sometimes. JJJ is not a bad player, but he kills us when he just starts chucking and thats 80 percent of the time. Seems like he doesnt pass it unless he absolutely needs to. He plays good defense when he's locked in.

Overall, shitty job by CKK on reeling them in this offseason.

This is probably the most unathletic frontcourt I’ve ever seen in person.

I think Eddie Corbett and Fred Haygood would beat these guys easily.

Agree? Disagree? Go

Reactions: SilverSpoon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT