ADVERTISEMENT

Kalib Boone

rebel5280

Rebel Legend
Feb 26, 2006
I thought he was better than this?
He has no offensive arsenal other than dunks or easy put backs.
No jump shot or jump hook, in the paint!

He can usually hit jump hook. He is good one on one. When help converges on him, he is not very good.

Reactions: TheMatrix31
What gets me is he gets the pass and waits to compose himself. That gives the double team time to arrive. He should get the pass and go right to the hole. Also when he takes on the double team he won't get a call from the refs.

What? He’s got an offensive game and strong post game. Shown that in multiple games this year.

He has to be the most inconsistent player we’ve had in a while. It’s crazy the number of games he just doesn’t show up for. Head scratcher.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
What? He’s got an offensive game and strong post game. Shown that in multiple games this year.

He has to be the most inconsistent player we’ve had in a while. It’s crazy the number of games he just doesn’t show up for. Head scratcher.
Let me clarify, his arsenal is wildly inconsistent in the paint!
On the one hand you have Creighton and on the other you have St Mary’s?
He is too much of a “mixed” bag to be counted on!

He’s inconsistent- but we don’t have great outside shooters - especially with Webster out- so a Boone jump hook from 5 feet kind of has to be a viable part of the offense arsenal unless there’s other options that are more consistently effective imo. DJ/ jj3 / keylan/ dribble drives and all of our outside shooters are equally inconsistent.

He’s inconsistent- but we don’t have great outside shooters - especially with Webster out- so a Boone jump hook from 5 feet kind of has to be a viable part of the offense arsenal unless there’s other options that are more consistently effective imo. DJ/ jj3 / keylan/ dribble drives and all of our outside shooters are equally inconsistent.
True!

But he seemed to have the offensive arsenal I mention against Kalkbrenner but not against anyone else?

He seems to show up when he wants to and not, night in and night out!

That’s my problem!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Tough for any big to play against a double team. The challenge is that he is too stubborn. When a double or even triple comes at him he still tries to get his shot instead of passing to the open player quickly. Too many hands swiping at the ball. Need to make the opposition pay for the double. Just too stubborn.

Tough for any big to play against a double team. The challenge is that he is too stubborn. When a double or even triple comes at him he still tries to get his shot instead of passing to the open player quickly. Too many hands swiping at the ball. Need to make the opposition pay for the double. Just too stubborn.
The issue with him passing out of the double is we are a poor shooting team. We hover @ 200th in 3 point shooting and 70th in overall shooting. We don't have a player who can make the other team pay for the double team.

I don't think he was "better than this" I think it's combo of our expectations that Big 12 5s are better than MWC 5s and that would mean his 11ppg average would jump significantly against "lesser" MWC centers... there's a reason why Oklahoma St. Played a younger player over him

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don't think he was "better than this" I think it's combo of our expectations that Big 12 5s are better than MWC 5s and that would mean his 11ppg average would jump significantly against "lesser" MWC centers... there's a reason why Oklahoma St. Played a younger player over him
For me I never thought of him as a 5!
I went back and forth with people here all summer long saying Kalib was more of a 4 regardless of where he played in the past, he’s too skinny. Boone showed up against one guy this year so he can play better but seems to take games off and that’s a whole other issue. He is just not a 5 and I said this all summer long and I don’t think he is a NBA caliber player either. He is another guy we hoped would be great against MWC competition but never showed up!

When you compare this years with his last Season at Ok. State his lines are very similar. He would have the same games there ( where he would just be absent for production) and bounce back for a couple of games for 10+ or even over 20+. His falloffs are a little more pronounced here, however. I think teams know they can double him without too much pain and he is trying to take on the doubles himself.

UNLV this year is wildly inconsistent. We can lose to worst teams by 32 and beat a decent teams by double digits on any night. Just hold on to your seat for next two months.

Ka Boone is a super quick athletic big - with an extremely limited skill set of post moves and low post game

He is Raw - even though he is seasoned - he would benefit from a big man camp _ he would benefit from some strength training -

Which one got the DUI ? these brothers have been around for a long time - this is pretty much the end of the road for them _ they are not PROS - it shows - they could've been but.....

For me I never thought of him as a 5!
I went back and forth with people here all summer long saying Kalib was more of a 4 regardless of where he played in the past, he’s too skinny. Boone showed up against one guy this year so he can play better but seems to take games off and that’s a whole other issue. He is just not a 5 and I said this all summer long and I don’t think he is a NBA caliber player either. He is another guy we hoped would be great against MWC competition but never showed up!
Come on dude.
You wait for his worst game of the season to pounce with this garbage.
He did just fine against a preseason AA center against Creighton?
How many other centers in this league demand a double or triple team in this league?
True he has had trouble passing out of the double team, but he totally demands it. If he got played straight up without entry pass help for denial and backside help for when he gets touches, he would be averaging over 20 in league play.
He led the Big 12 in blocks 2 years ago, as a center.

Last edited:
Come on dude.
You wait for his worst game of the season to pounce with this garbage.
He did just fine against a preseason AA center against Creighton?
How many other centers in this league demand a double or triple team in this league?
True he has had trouble passing out of the double team, but he totally demands it. If he got played straight up without entry pass help for denial and backside help for when he gets touches, he would be averaging over 20 in league play.
He led the Big 12 in blocks 2 years ago, as a center.
What are you talking about?

I ain’t posting anything new he stunk it up against St Mary’s too! I love how you always come out of the woodwork with your crap that was never said but you try to stand on it and saying I’m too negative? Who do you think you are man, if you don’t agree say that and leave it there don’t try to change things around to fit your crap narrative! I said he hasn’t shown up most nights and I stand on that opinion.

We don’t agree on pretty much anything and I good with that!

What are you talking about?

I ain’t posting anything new he stunk it up against St Mary’s too! I love how you always come out of the woodwork with your crap that was never said but you try to stand on it and saying I’m too negative? Who do you think you are man, if you don’t agree say that and leave it there don’t try to change things around to fit your crap narrative! I said he hasn’t shown up most nights and I stand on that opinion.

We don’t agree on pretty much anything and I good with that!
Creighton has the second team All american 7'1 center, and Kalib ran circles around him. He couldn't guard him and struggled to score on him. They didn't double, because they thought their star center was good enough. Guess what, he wasn't and it may have cost them that game.

Kalib isn't consistent, struggles with the double teams, and with fouls. He isn't perfect. All of his low output games he struggled with fouls. Last game he couldn't find the basket, plus he had foul trouble.

But he has proven himself to be a more than capable center in college basketball. He won't go to the NBA, but that doesn't matter.

He just got 21 against 2 7 footers at Fresno. 2 games ago. With double teams to boot.

Dude is a center. He has way more positive games than negative ones.

Conference play average production from two players being constantly doubled.

Boone 11 points/ 3.6 Rebs

Osobor 21.4 Points/ 9.9 Rebs

Boone is adequate, but not what I hoped after the preseason hype.

Conference play average production from two players being constantly doubled.

Boone 11 points/ 3.6 Rebs

Osobor 21.4 Points/ 9.9 Rebs

Boone is adequate, but not what I hoped after the preseason hype.
2 things.

He has struggled with the double teams for sure. A lot of that is on him. He likely to force things against 2 and 3 players. To his credit he does convert many of those attempts, but still to forces it a bit too much. So he has some blame.

Second is the spacing. In general we are spaced out, but it is predictable where we are. Also I've noticed, especially recently the other big often shoots down to the opposite post when Kalib gets the ball. I'm guessing for rebounding, but he is basically dragging his defender closer to Kalib for an easier double team.

It would be nice if we spread out it a way that made it much more difficult to double and they could easily get punished by leaving other players wide open.

Also perhaps a ball reversal with a back side pick to give Kalib an open window near the basket. Never see that.

I haven't watched much of Utah State other than our game. They do tend to have more off ball screens (we have very few).

Last edited:
I think the argument boils down to the leap from Big 12 play to MWC play there was not a significant step up in play. Hes had some good games against good players and then some games where its just been average. The hype around him coming was much more than what he has been able to produce which is what is creating the argument that its a bust. That might not necessarily been his fault because we bring in Bigs all the time that are hyped and they tend to not pan out at that position, especially against MWC 5s. Getting pushed off the block or being unable to rebound against solid big guys and or just being ineffective at pulling them out or drawing fouls to either send them to the bench or open up things down low on a game to game basis.

Reactions: rebel5280
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT