ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremiah Cherry has committed

Impressive list ,before he went the JC route. Good programs with a eye for talent.List

Starting day 1? Perhaps. But as mentioned before we will have some decent bigs creating some good competition.
I'm mostly curious about Cottrell who seems to be making progress so far.

I'm always cautious about expecting a ton out of a JuCo guy immediately. With the advent and proliferation of prep schools, free transfers and graduate transfers without sitting out periods, and the ability for kids to go directly to non-US pro-leagues or to the G-league at 18, I feel like the JuCo talent pool is as shallow as it has ever been. I feel like the only real advantage you have with a JuCo recruit these days is physical maturity, and Bear Cherry certainly has a legit body makeup and physique.

In the last decade we've had 3 JuCo players that showed out with average or better quality, and only Juiston came anywhere near close to what he did in Junior College (Clyburn and Moorning both averaged about half of their PPG). Mooring and Juiston were both top 5 JuCo recruits and JuCo all-americans

Kris Clyburn - 7.3 ppg 5.3 rpg in 32 games with 22 starts
Jovan Mooring - 12.6 ppg 4.0 apg in 32 games with 12 starts
Shakur Juiston - 14.6 ppg 10 rpg in 33 games with 33 starts

If you look at the roster make up next year you're going to have Cottrell, Bannarbie, and Whaley returning, and you'll have Pape and Bear as new frontcourt signees. I suppose Cherry has a chance to start, but I don't know what that says about the quality and depth of your frontcourt.

Cherry was rated by the Arizona Republic as the 34th best player in Arizona as a HS senior, had no stars and no actionable offers that I could see. Sometimes players grow but when After Evans and Pape, this is a much more 'meh' signing to me. When you are vying for a player against Northern Arizona, Missouri State, and Southern Indiana, I typically feel that's a pretty good indicator of talent and expectations. Maybe there's something there I'm not seeing, but I'm expecting a lot closer to Edoardo Del Cadia or Fred Heygood than I am Shakur Juiston or JK Edwards.

Last edited:
Cottrell is big in height only, he is a stretch 4 at best
Cottrell is listed as Ht/Wt 6-11 / 245

Cottrell has put on some muscle and it looks like he has some inside game too from some of the clips I have seen. He will be asked to bang a bit more this season, and I think we see that.

Get over the huge need to have a traditional center. CKK's being purely content on running 2 forwards this year tells us how much he thinks it is important on having a traditional 5.

CKK likes to run the break, he wants nimble bigs. Part of the reason Karl Jones slimmed up and is looking better. He is now more likely to see the floor.

A lumbering big body can get in the way and slow us down.

So his name is Jerry Cherry? Just curious, is he Haitian?

I'm always cautious about expecting a ton out of a JuCo guy immediately. With the advent and proliferation of prep schools, free transfers and graduate transfers without sitting out periods, and the ability for kids to go directly to non-US pro-leagues or to the G-league at 18, I feel like the JuCo talent pool is as shallow as it has ever been. I feel like the only real advantage you have with a JuCo recruit these days is physical maturity, and Bear Cherry certainly has a legit body makeup and physique.

In the last decade we've had 3 JuCo players that showed out with average or better quality, and only Juiston came anywhere near close to what he did in Junior College (Clyburn and Moorning both averaged about half of their PPG). Mooring and Juiston were both top 5 JuCo recruits and JuCo all-americans

Kris Clyburn - 7.3 ppg 5.3 rpg in 32 games with 22 starts
Jovan Mooring - 12.6 ppg 4.0 apg in 32 games with 12 starts
Shakur Juiston - 14.6 ppg 10 rpg in 33 games with 33 starts

If you look at the roster make up next year you're going to have Cottrell, Bannarbie, and Whaley returning, and you'll have Pape and Bear as new frontcourt signees. I suppose Cherry has a chance to start, but I don't know what that says about the quality and depth of your frontcourt.

Cherry was rated by the Arizona Republic as the 34th best player in Arizona as a HS senior, had no stars and no actionable offers that I could see. Sometimes players grow but when After Evans and Pape, this is a much more 'meh' signing to me. When you are vying for a player against Northern Arizona, Missouri State, and Southern Indiana, I typically feel that's a pretty good indicator of talent and expectations. Maybe there's something there I'm not seeing, but I'm expecting a lot closer to Edoardo Del Cadia or Fred Heygood than I am Shakur Juiston or JK Edwards.
His top 2 choices were Utah State and us. He took an OV to USU a couple weeks before visiting Vegas so he's at least MWC good. Also who said Bannarbie would be here next year? 👀 There's already a lot of rumors surrounding him.

I definitely understand your overall message though. I can see it going both ways, but after seeing his highlights, I'm sure he will have an impact. He's way faster and athletic than he looks.

Hopefully he ends up being a good pick up. If not might be fine anyway considering KK only plays 7-8 deep so 5-6 players only get minimal to no burn. Guess we will see next year.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
His top 2 choices were Utah State and us. He took an OV to USU a couple weeks before visiting Vegas so he's at least MWC good. Also who said Bannarbie would be here next year? 👀 There's already a lot of rumors surrounding him.

I definitely understand your overall message though. I can see it going both ways, but after seeing his highlights, I'm sure he will have an impact. He's way faster and athletic than he looks.
With regards to Bannarbie, are you saying this from a standpoint of him getting poached into going somewhere else?

In fairness, in this era of college hoops literally nobody is guaranteed to be anywhere next year. So Bannerbie could be gone, Kruger could be gone and everyone else or everyone could stay and nothing would surprise me. I had heard a few rumors that Bannerbie views himself as a P4 player who should be getting minutes right away and is already unhappy with what his role is looking to be this season, but unless it comes from a reputable source on twitter I just dismiss it as noise. If you tell me he's gone, then I might take the noise more seriously.

As far as the USU offer, I had figured it was unactionable given that the Aggies will only have 2 open schollies next season, and have already signed 3 players and the 2 players they're definitely losing are a wing and a point. Maybe there's a mission player or something I'm not aware of...can't keep that stuff straight at some of the Utah schools, but that was my process of reasoning on that one. If you're telling me that's wrong I'm happy to listen.

He's way faster and athletic than he looks.
As I said, Cherry has nice proportions and athleticism and looks really bouncy for for 265, but I have a hard time gathering any real data from the highlights i've seen on his page. I've just been fooled way too many times by guys who look really solid on JuCo tape and when their altheticism starts to get matched they just disappear. On your twitter feed he's got some nice post moves against a couple of 6'7" 165 lbs guys who just bounce off him when they try to body him. Not sure what I can pull out of that, but I hope I'm wrong, 100!

Last edited:
As I said, Cherry has nice proportions and athleticism and looks really bouncy for for 265, but I have a hard time gathering any real data from the highlights i've seen on his page. I've just been fooled way too many times by guys who look really solid on JuCo tape and when their altheticism starts to get matched they just disappear. On your twitter feed he's got some nice post moves against a couple of 6'7" 165 lbs guys who just bounce off him when they try to body him. Not sure what I can pull out of that, but I hope I'm wrong, 100!
Thats very fair. I think im a big higher on him because I saw him in HS. His SDSU offer was committable at one point but someone else committed first. But it is true that he bounced off of some very light dudes in the video lol. The only reason why I like this pickup is because hes not the same player as N'Diaye. I like the variance in their games and think they will go together.

But in regards to your post before this, you heard correctly about Bannarbie. He is not happy with his role and he was not happy with his final offer sheet. Schools offered and backed away or the offer was taken up by another recruit fast. I'm not going to bash the kid but theres a reason why he was a late signee. Lots of schools had questions about him and he "moved" and transferred highschools a good amount of times. Not sayin he's a Dior Johnson, but he's been to at least 5 highschools and 2/3 his senior year alone. Coaches werent even sure if he was a 2023 or 2024 kid. There are still some questions about his eligibility too. So theres that

Thats very fair. I think im a big higher on him because I saw him in HS. His SDSU offer was committable at one point but someone else committed first. But it is true that he bounced off of some very light dudes in the video lol. The only reason why I like this pickup is because hes not the same player as N'Diaye. I like the variance in their games and think they will go together.

But in regards to your post before this, you heard correctly about Bannarbie. He is not happy with his role and he was not happy with his final offer sheet. Schools offered and backed away or the offer was taken up by another recruit fast. I'm not going to bash the kid but theres a reason why he was a late signee. Lots of schools had questions about him and he "moved" and transferred highschools a good amount of times. Not sayin he's a Dior Johnson, but he's been to at least 5 highschools and 2/3 his senior year alone. Coaches werent even sure if he was a 2023 or 2024 kid. There are still some questions about his eligibility too. So theres that
Well, with our history, just stick around half a season, work hard, and you'll eventually find the playing time around mid year as injuries or underwhelming play happens.. lol.. I am concerned that if his eligibility is potentially still questionable.. that would be the 2nd player on the roster that we signed and brought in that may or may not be eligible. That screams of a coaching staff reaching and on its last leg possibly.

Here’s my question because Bear is big, long and appears to have a decent skill set. Ok. But what about toughness and a motor? This is often overlooked with Bigs.

Here’s my question because Bear is big, long and appears to have a decent skill set. Ok. But what about toughness and a motor? This is often overlooked with Bigs.
I haven't seen anything besides highlight tapes, but I've seen it mentioned in anecdotal sources that motor is something that he's really trying to improve on this year (which means it's probably not really high). I've also seen from from another separate anecdotal source that he's got a bit of Kas Kambala in him, where if he's the guy initiating contact he is very physical, but doesn't respond well to someone initiating physicality with him. Please take both with a grain of salt--it's mostly from scouring boards/twitter looking for nuggets and there is basically nothing that I'd certify as a top tier source.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT