ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to force change.

rebsrback

Lottery Pick
Aug 4, 2003
I'm beyond upset about what has transpired. However emailing Jessup and TKM does nothing. They will not fire themselves. We need to apply pressure to the person they juiced TKM into her job. Regent Kevin Page. I urge you to email Kevin your thoughts on what his friend TKM did to our school. My email to him is below.

If you guys want to force change, I urge you to email Regent Page. My email to him is below. Read it. It's fact.

Regent Page:

I'm writing this letter as a Las Vegas native, UNLV Alumnus, longtime UNLV RAF Donor and former UNLV Alumni Association Board member. The events that have transpired over the past 12 months in the UNLV Athletic Department have been an embarrassment to our school. I can give countless examples of our missteps that have hurt the University and the Las Vegas community. I will assume that as an alum and Regent, you are also well versed about this subject.

All of these actions could have been avoided if we had a qualified, competent leader in the athletic department. I am well aware that you used your position of Chairman of the Board of Regents to "juice" Mrs. Kunzer-Murphy into the interim athletic director position. Your role in her hiring is no longer a secret to the general public. No other school in the nation would have hired her in that capacity. The damage that has been done to our school is a direct result of Mrs. Murphy's hiring, and her hiring is a direct result of your leadership and power on the Board of Regents.

While President Jessup and Mrs. Kunzer-Murphy are getting blasted (rightfully so) for the embarrassing mid-season firing of Coach Rice and the circus of a coaching search that followed, it was the decision to hire your friend as Athletic Director lead to all of this. I am begging you to use your position as Regent to clean up this situation. Please remove Mrs. Kunzer Murphy from her role immediately and bring in a qualified, competent replacement to rebuild our Athletic Department.

You created the problem. I urge you to be part of the solution. I'm sure you don't want destroying the UNLV Athletic Department to be your legacy.

I appreciate your passion, but think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Yes, TKM is incompetent (mostly due to succumbing to the Findlay-led Booster pressure). But, I don't see what the BOR can do about this issue. If you want the BOR to fire Jessup, then the University will be in the same position as the basketball team. Way too early to blame this on Jessup.

I think the bigger issue here is that many Rebel fans are just not being realistic. Firing CDR mid-season was dumb. But, then who would many of you expect to get as Head Coach? I liked the Karl idea, but guess he could not get things up and running quickly enough. Lavin? Guess, I disagree with many, but I see not upside with him. Menzies may not be the best, but for a non-Power 5 conference team that fired its Head Coach mid-year, he is not a bad choice. I just don't see how UNLV could have done much better.

I'm beyond upset about what has transpired. However emailing Jessup and TKM does nothing. They will not fire themselves. We need to apply pressure to the person they juiced TKM into her job. Regent Kevin Page. I urge you to email Kevin your thoughts on what his friend TKM did to our school. My email to him is below.

If you guys want to force change, I urge you to email Regent Page. My email to him is below. Read it. It's fact.

Regent Page:

I'm writing this letter as a Las Vegas native, UNLV Alumnus, longtime UNLV RAF Donor and former UNLV Alumni Association Board member. The events that have transpired over the past 12 months in the UNLV Athletic Department have been an embarrassment to our school. I can give countless examples of our missteps that have hurt the University and the Las Vegas community. I will assume that as an alum and Regent, you are also well versed about this subject.

All of these actions could have been avoided if we had a qualified, competent leader in the athletic department. I am well aware that you used your position of Chairman of the Board of Regents to "juice" Mrs. Kunzer-Murphy into the interim athletic director position. Your role in her hiring is no longer a secret to the general public. No other school in the nation would have hired her in that capacity. The damage that has been done to our school is a direct result of Mrs. Murphy's hiring, and her hiring is a direct result of your leadership and power on the Board of Regents.

While President Jessup and Mrs. Kunzer-Murphy are getting blasted (rightfully so) for the embarrassing mid-season firing of Coach Rice and the circus of a coaching search that followed, it was the decision to hire your friend as Athletic Director lead to all of this. I am begging you to use your position as Regent to clean up this situation. Please remove Mrs. Kunzer Murphy from her role immediately and bring in a qualified, competent replacement to rebuild our Athletic Department.

You created the problem. I urge you to be part of the solution. I'm sure you don't want destroying the UNLV Athletic Department to be your legacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: REBELROGER
If you read my letter, you would see that I want the regents to force the President to fire TKM. More specifically, I want Regent Page to force this issue. He used his power to force President Smastrek to hire his friend TKM. I think it's only fitting that Regent Page cleans up this mess and forces TKM out. If we don't put pressure on Regent Page, he will continue to protect TKM. Do you really want her to get extended?

TKM reports to Jessup. Jessup needs to fire TKM. If Jessup is not willing to fire her, the next rational thing is to get rid of Jessup himself. Its simple.

At any job, if your subordinates are performing terribly, its YOUR responsibility to get them in line, or replace them if they can't do the job. At the end of the day, its YOUR butt that's on the line for the success/failure of the department. If you can't control your own employees--that is, if you're not willing to replace under-performing employees, then of course you will be shown the door as well. Why should the scenario with the BOR, Jessup, and TKM be any different?

He was part of the search committee along with her and Robert Smith. He had a say in every decision, you know he did. He is just as responsible, if not more so because he is the boss.

If you read my letter, you would see that I want the regents to force the President to fire TKM. More specifically, I want Regent Page to force this issue. He used his power to force President Smastrek to hire his friend TKM. I think it's only fitting that Regent Page cleans up this mess and forces TKM out. If we don't put pressure on Regent Page, he will continue to protect TKM. Do you really want her to get extended?

You've got to learn to read yourself! Where did I defend TKM and where did I say I wanted her extended?

That's a loser's mentality right there. Settling for table scraps is not how you eat at the big boy's table!

Exactly. The problem is not the University or the basketball program. We could have landed an elite coach, and we still can in the future. The reason why we find ourselves in this situation is because of TERRIBLE leadership and decision making. Had we a competent person in charge of hiring the next coach, I guarantee we would not be arguing over a coach like Menzies. We're only as strong as our weakest link. Unfortunately, our weak link (TKM) is pretty damn weak.

As unbelievable as this has all been, at this point NOTHING (like TKM receiving an extension) would surprise me.

I will grudgingly support Mediocre Marv until he proves he can't do it. But it's long past time to stop supporting TKM. Her incompetence has shit-stained the UNLV name for years to come.

Marvelous Marvin Menzies charmed her panties off. When you listen to Marvelous Marv you will swear that he is an absolutely great basketball coach . He is an eloquent speaker who never played a game of basketball in his life. Pitino loved him because he recruited very well. He is a very good recruiter but his teams will be terrible and lose to far less talented teams. Marv conducts great press conferences and you will hear crap that stuff about marathons and not sprints.Be ready and stay tuned Running Rebels

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT