ADVERTISEMENT

I am tired

Doneoett

National Player of the Year
Jun 15, 2015

Just watching the game made me tired.
My takeaways from the game
1. Fundamentals, Augmon used the glass like it was meant to be used.
2. Soft hands in the post and post position, Johnson and Butler make it look easy. I have forgotten what soft hands look like at UNLV.
3. Constant motion in the offense. I hate this stupid era of ISO.
4. Point guard play is huge. A solid point guard makes everything smooth.
5. .This maybe the biggest one. Traveling was called consistently.
6. Teamwork, I don’t think we will ever see great team basketball ever again. And I don’t just mean at UNLV.

2. Soft hands in the post and post position, Johnson and Butler make it look easy. I have forgotten what soft hands look like at UNLV.
6. Teamwork, I don’t think we will ever see great team basketball ever again. And I don’t just mean at UNLV.
The game has deteriorated so much. Players have more fine skills now - but the fundamentals have disappeared. Only the very best teams now play team basketball and they’d get their asses kicked by top 50’s back in the day because back then, team basketball is what it was about. It’s hard to watch nowadays.

I think of post guys. Almost all of them were able to use both hands. Sure, one was stronger, but they could go both hands. That essentially doubles the amount of post moves and you can use either side of the floor. That just gives so many different options and looks.

Something as simple as a high/low game is way more rare now. I loved it. Yes, you needed the right players but there were plenty that could do it.

You don’t even seen great seals in the post anymore. And the ball delivery angle and accuracy is poorer now.

Drop steps. You don’t see them much. Such a solid move. You seal the defender with your hip, unblockable unless there is help.

Even fundamental blocking out. Before, it was a given. Now it’s a “great box out”.

That’s just a tiny bit. Maybe I’m too old now and I’m supposed to be in love with the crossover or 35 foot shots. One on one iso is the ugliest offense ever, but it can work if you have enough guys with actual ability instead of feigned ability. It works in the NBA because they are multifaceted players, you don’t see them in the NCAA because they’re in the league early.

When I want to watch good basketball I search youtube for old Rebel games and the great Big East match ups. Nothing earlier than mid-1990's. Whoever Robert Worthen is, thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT