ADVERTISEMENT

Good Article

Nov 21, 2014
Next couple of week will be interesting. Nigel-Williams Goss is leaning toward resigning with the Rebels. Waiting to hear on Ikes visit. JJS 80% on going back to prep school and waiting on CW.

Rices recruiting is getting better. I think next year will show you what a little stability will do for a team and we win this conference.

This post was edited on 4/17 2:40 PM by tarkaniancourt...nm

DR

I don't know that the recruiting is any better. We have a had a steady stream of blue chippers over the last few years. The problem, and the main reason for sub-par seasons, is the PG position. It seems that the frontcourt has been very strong but where is the solid point guard to run the team on the floor?

Cody Doolin may have been good in a lesser conference but that caliber of player is not going to lead to a championship. In the games I went to he seemed lost on offense and better point guards ate him up on defense.

NWG would help with that but Big Zimm will probably be gone by then.

The only problem with recruiting was probably recruiting players with questionable character, which did become a problem. A separate issue was getting players to stay.

I already miss Vaughn (hope he succeeds though, just think he would have been so good in a second year). But the team does look much deeper and much more experienced now.

If wood stays this would clearly be the best frontcourt that Rice has coached yet. Moser was never healthy when he played with Bennett. Birch and Smith were awesome but I think this version had better backups and Wood and Zimmerman could be even better.

Our last two recruiting classes, with 24/7 composite rankings (not to overrate rankings, just for reference):

Vaughn (#12), Morgan (23), Goodluck (28), McCaw (223), Cornish (176)
And
Zimm (9), DJ (43), Poyser (133)

Transfers in: Carter (126), Seagears (96), Doolin (NR)

Recruiting has been spectacular. Never better. Now it's time to win.

If CW stays JJ will go to prep school. If CW opts for the NBA, JJ should reclassify. That should give UNLV another top 5 recruiting class and if NWG commits,man.

Decisions

Originally posted by TomKingsley:
Either way - Sweet 16 next year
Tom you bump your head?
wink.r191677.gif
This was said last year too and the year was an epic failure.

I think the Rebels will be so loaded next year that the talent will overwhelm other deficiencies on the bench. I could be wrong but my expectations will be SS16 or bust for next years team. I think the Rebels finished this past season right about where I thought they would, but with a strong core improving as the season went along. I strongly believe PM, JC, GO and DM all have potential monster sophomore seasons on tap.How could you not like the core coming back and all the minutes they played in '14-'15? Additionally, I think SZ skills will be perfectly blended into the team next season and even if he is one-and-done is should be a very special season.

If CDR grabs a seat on the bench and lets these guys roll they should do great.

That's what I have thought for the past two years but rice starts getting involved and screws everything up. I agree if he just sits down and rolls the ball on the floor they will be much better. I think it is S16 or fired. I think there were so big expectations put on next years team and if not attained then rice is gone. I agree with all you say such as those players having big sophomore seasons but we still have the problem at the head of the monster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT