ADVERTISEMENT

Future Opponents

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
Interesting to see Creighton starting the season at #8 in the country. They play Iowa and Oklahoma State before us.

St. Mary's Starts the year at #23 and I think they want to join the MW. They Play UNM, SDSU, Boise and CSU before us. They also play Utah. They could be a good benchmark game to see how we may fair in conference play.

SDSU is #17 to start the year.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Interesting to see Creighton starting the season at #8 in the country. They play Iowa and Oklahoma State before us.

St. Mary's Starts the year at #23 and I think they want to join the MW. They Play UNM, SDSU, Boise and CSU before us. They also play Utah. They could be a good benchmark game to see how we me fair in conference play.

We've got some pretty tough games this year in the OOC. Would be nice to get some of them at the T&M instead of road or neutral site games.

St. Mary's Starts the year at #23 and I think they want to join the MW. They Play UNM, SDSU, Boise and CSU before us. They also play Utah. They could be a good benchmark game to see how we may fair in conference play.

Thank you, I like these posts to track. Usually football is off the brain by now and it's easy to focus on the basketball angles.

I don't know how much room I have in my brain.

I think the OOC is much better. It's not a gauntlet and it might not be "sexy" with the names, but it has some quality on it, some road on it, some neutral on it and it's more in line with what WE SHOULD be playing yearly.

We won't 11-1 this OOC, but that's ok. I've always felt from a team perspective, losses against tough teams are better than wins against 250+ teams. The perception is much worse because most look at record and decide you are good or suck from just that. But playing tougher games, I really do feel it helps you reach your potential more quickly, ie, helps prepare you for conference play.

Thank you, I like these posts to track. Usually football is off the brain by now and it's easy to focus on the basketball angles.

I don't know how much room I have in my brain.

I think the OOC is much better. It's not a gauntlet and it might not be "sexy" with the names, but it has some quality on it, some road on it, some neutral on it and it's more in line with what WE SHOULD be playing yearly.

We won't 11-1 this OOC, but that's ok. I've always felt from a team perspective, losses against tough teams are better than wins against 250+ teams. The perception is much worse because most look at record and decide you are good or suck from just that. But playing tougher games, I really do feel it helps you reach your potential more quickly, ie, helps prepare you for conference play.
Thing that aggravates me about St Mary's. He's never been anywhere near a personal "top pick" for me, but Bennnett has had ZERO interest in UNLV when the job was available a few times over the past few years ... irks me.

Thing that aggravates me about St Mary's. He's never been anywhere near a personal "top pick" for me, but Bennnett has had ZERO interest in UNLV when the job was available a few times over the past few years ... irks me.
I think they are playing so many MW teams ( and they are typical upper half MW teams) since we have done so well in the NET. They can load up with quarter 1 and 2 games by playing the MW, and have a good shot at winning.
It is a good strategy.
With BYU leaving and USF falling back to earth, the WCC is Gonzaga and that's about it. It hurts the overall SOS and NET being a good team in that league.

Reactions: reagan21
Can’t say that I blame him if he watching how throngs were being run at UNLV over the previous decade. If the job opened up now perhaps it’d be a different story. Given the moves Harp has made in football the perceptions of how well UNLV runs its house may begin to change.

UNLV was run like the Keystone Cops in the past!
buster keaton cops GIF by Maudit

"St. Mary's Starts the year at #23 and I think they want to join the MW."

Gut feeling or did you read this somewhere?

We've got some pretty tough games this year in the OOC. Would be nice to get some of them at the T&M instead of road or neutral site games.

Wasn’t too long ago when we could get great home games. Several reasons why, one bring that UNLV no longer commands that respect but for me just as bad is the national trend of neutral site games. I hate them, college sports (football too) should be played on college campuses or at least the home arena or stadium. One of the things professional sports will never have,

Thinking about ranked opposition ?

Lets not forget possible opponent in the Sunshine Jam in Daytona- "Colorado" - they are sitting right outside the top 25 - If we beat Florida State its likely we will play Colorado (or Richmond)

Can’t say that I blame him if he watching how throngs were being run at UNLV over the previous decade. If the job opened up now perhaps it’d be a different story. Given the moves Harp has made in football the perceptions of how well UNLV runs its house may begin to change.
It’s more of an FU, you’re at St Mary’s and you’re looking down at UNLV, knowing full well St Mary’s is a better program but not wanting to admit that we’ve slipped so far.

Actually Neutral site games in vegas do help us in the NET. A lower requirement to be in a higher quadrant.

That being said, it is safe to say that both Creighton and St. Mary's would be a quad 1 home game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT