ADVERTISEMENT

Early on this season

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Even though I was extremely guarded because of the schedule … there were things I liked besides the shallow wins.

The defense was good for the most part, especially with forcing so many turnovers. They were weaker in other defensive areas, but the turnovers did stand out. Granted, as I mention at the time, consider the opposition because this team did lose to a bad Canada team in an exhibition over the summer, so you knew there’d be issues.

The offense has always been shit.

But early, they forced turnovers, they hit free throws and they finished games well. I’m talking early. Typically, that’s a good foundation in spite of any flaws you may have. That keeps you in games, that wins games. But that hasn’t remained.

They’re finishing horribly now. Offensively, they are soooooo damn inconsistent and without confidence that it’s not mattering even if the defense were strong.

I don’t know if those primary strengths have faded because we are in the throes of conference play and people have us completely figured out or if it’s because we had too many weak early opponents that it pushed us into a false sense of security … or if the mental weakness of this team is at an unbelievable level.

Whatever it is, it’s about as ugly as it gets.

Reactions: jeff6382
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News