ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching scenario....thoughts?

Homeskillett

6th man
May 3, 2019
Let's say that Odom got poached while Marion is still at UNLV as the OC.

Would you consider the him as the replacement for Odom as head coach?

Young, super intelligent black man who appears to be able to truly relate to the guys around. It also appears he has some serious connections.

Could be a serious home run until, hopefully, someone poaches him because we are continuing to grow and WIN as a program.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
Let's say that Odom got poached while Marion is still at UNLV as the OC.

Would you consider the him as the replacement for Odom as head coach?

Young, super intelligent black man who appears to be able to truly relate to the guys around. It also appears he has some serious connections.

Could be a serious home run until, hopefully, someone poaches him because we are continuing to grow and WIN as a program.

Thoughts?

I don't think UCLA is looking at Odom.

Also don't think Odom takes Minnesota job. Fleck did a really good job there and Minnesota rarely sniffed the top 25. It's a hard job that has a pretty clear ceiling.

As for Marion as HC...Would depend, I'd look for a Gary Patterson type first. If you strike out there, then maybe...But wouldn't just hand him the keys without kicking the tires on some guys with HC experience..

The only way Odom takes the ucla job is if he can hire whoever, like his brother as DC and probably pay Scherer more as an assistant etc.

Problem is, it is a TOUGH job in a TOUGH conference. You could say it is an impossible job.

The only way Odom takes the ucla job is if he can hire whoever, like his brother as DC and probably pay Scherer more as an assistant etc.

Problem is, it is a TOUGH job in a TOUGH conference. You could say it is an impossible job.
When you put all things you mentioned into the equation, UNLV is a better gig for Odom than UCLA! I don’t think any of the new Pac 12 schools will win in the B10 especially Oregon. But who knows what will happen, Odom could leave tomorrow for the Bruins but all I know is, UCLA is an even tougher job now!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Not the first option. By any means.

Sure he has promise as an up and comer, but his resume would be quite weak, even for UNLV standards.

1 year as a successful G5 OC. With a bunch of random years at lower level jobs. NO college HC experience. No Power 5 coordinator experience

Innovative offensive mind, but we have not seen more that 2 years at one place, so we don't know if it can withstand multiple years of conference play.

We have found success with proven head coaches. Not to say he couldn't keep it going, but it would be a gamble.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
No. We should never again stoop to hiring a first time HC that's only been the OC at D1 for 1 or 2 seasons... our program is in such a much better position thanks to competently hiring a HC with HC experience... let's say we go out and finish 8-4 or 9-3 and Odom gets a dream gig... you just had 2 winning seasons and showed what good leadership can do...you don't think guys in the realms of a Gary Patterson would notice... and with the playoff so much easier to get to as a G5, it's much more practical to elevate an emerging good program at G5 level than a mediocre P5...

At the end of the season then no I think we can get an experienced coach but if it happens right now say with UCLA then I would say yes as an interim and so this year he would have a chance to prove himself and if not we can still get someone experienced end of year. Too late in the game now to get someone quality.

Reactions: rebel5280

I think the UCLA job will continue to drop in prestige playing in the Big. They haven't really had much of an impact in the PAC12 recently, so I expect it will get far worse flying back and fourth to play Big teams next season. They may be looking at a consistent 3-5 wins per season from now on out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT